Wife needs indoor accommodations....what is worth buying?

D

Deleted member 9101

Maybe the Escape 21 NE with the cot option?
It's the Escape 19 layout but stretched, built in/on the 21 chassis.
Be tight though. Main queen bed, queen sized dinette when folded down, and a cot above that. The 19 the dinette is maybe a double.

My wife and I really like this Apex Ultralite by Coachman. Large enough to be comfortable, small enough to fit in State Park camp grounds in Florida.

One of the problem with camping in the summer in Florida is you need to have room for everyone to be comfortable during the almost daily thunder storms.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Technically many of them are...lol. I see them everytime I go camping. When properly set up, modern 1/2 ton trucks tow a 10k trailer with no problems and often better than older 3/4 ton trucks could.
Yes, many are rated to tow that much (including my own truck) and I see plenty of half tons towing trailers like that as well.

For me personally, if I was towing a trailer that large, I would be using a 3/4 ton.

D

Deleted member 9101

Yes, many are rated to tow that much (including my own truck) and I see plenty of half tons towing trailers like that as well.

For me personally, if I was towing a trailer that large, I would be using a 3/4 ton.

I did it for 3 years (for work) and the truck (F150) had zero problems. The only reason I got a 3/4 ton when it was time to turn the vehicle in was so I could carry more gear in the bed while towing, which took one vehicle out of our fleet, thus saving the tax payer money and making the foot print of our AO smaller during an emergency.

Modern 1/2 tons are rated to tow more and haul as much as previous 3/4 tons. They have stronger frames, more power, better brakes, and far superior suspension.

In modern trucks "1/2, 3/4, 1 ton" names are almost meaningless.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I did it for 3 years (for work) and the truck (F150) had zero problems. The only reason I got a 3/4 ton when it was time to turn the vehicle in was so I could carry more gear in the bed while towing, which took one vehicle out of our fleet, thus saving the tax payer money and making the foot print of our AO smaller during an emergency.

Modern 1/2 tons are rated to tow more and haul as much as previous 3/4 tons. They have stronger frames, more power, better brakes, and far superior suspension.

In modern trucks "1/2, 3/4, 1 ton" names are almost meaningless.
I'd likely be hauling more if I went to 3/4 ton as well. So, I'd want the extra payload.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd likely be hauling more if I went to 3/4 ton as well. So, I'd want the extra payload.

Payload is what most people get wrong...lol. They see 13,000 tow rating" on a 1/2 ton and think they can load their truck with with gear and then tow at the max rating.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Payload is what most people get wrong...lol. They see 13,000 tow rating" on a 1/2 ton and think they can load their truck with with gear and then tow at the max rating.
Yep, see that all the time. I tend to load my box up with firewood and coolers. My payload now is 1,800 so I'm good with my 5,000 lb (wet) trailer.

Buuut..... i'd like to get a boat rack and take an aluminum fishing boat with us too.... lol... So, thinking IF that ever happens, 3/4 would be the way I'd want to go.

Kinda like this set up.
y5rnyBNl.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

Yep, see that all the time. I tend to load my box up with firewood and coolers. My payload now is 1,800 so I'm good with my 5,000 lb (wet) trailer.

Buuut..... i'd like to get a boat rack and take an aluminum fishing boat with us too.... lol... So, thinking IF that ever happens, 3/4 would be the way I'd want to go.

Kinda like this set up.
View attachment 597537

I see rigs set up like that pretty often... Definitely like them. Saw one a few wweks ago that had a bass boat and trailer on a rack on top of a F450.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Kinda like this set up.
View attachment 597537
You might like this
The Candle Fish 13 was designed for a Alaskan Local/Hunter to carry two hunters and gear plus Elk. The requirement was light enough to rack solo on a pickup rack. I have seen them in beefy work boat trim at 200lbs. The more fancy boy builds can be in the 180lb range.

I want one ?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I see rigs set up like that pretty often... Definitely like them. Saw one a few wweks ago that had a bass boat and trailer on a rack on top of a F450.

You might like this
The Candle Fish 13 was designed for a Alaskan Local/Hunter to carry two hunters and gear plus Elk. The requirement was light enough to rack solo on a pickup rack. I have seen them in beefy work boat trim at 200lbs. The more fancy boy builds can be in the 180lb range.

I want one ?

1000arms

You might like this: The Candle Fish 13 was designed for a Alaskan Local/Hunter to carry two hunters and gear plus Elk. The requirement was light enough to rack solo on a pickup rack. I have seen them in beefy work boat trim at 200lbs. The more fancy boy builds can be in the 180lb range. ... I want one ?
Thanks for posting. I found this article:

I'd like to see what Sam Devlin would come up with for expedition campers.

His book is a boat-building-bible:

The second edition is supposed to be released in March of 2021.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles