The Dometic CFX3 Mega Thread

carlwh

I'm curious about the same thing as @aearles. I have a CFX3 45 ordered from OK4WD. I asked about the shipping status and they told me "At this time Dometic has a hold on the order as there is a recall they are working on."

@Dometic Do you guys have any info on what the recall is about?

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Hey @Dometic, curious if you guys have any idea when stock on the CFX3 line should be replenished? I just sold a CFX3 75DZ to downsize to a 35 or 45, only to find out they're backordered everywhere. :-( --Thanks!

Unfortunately, we don't. We were hoping to have a July 4th sale but our inventory has been depleted to the point that we've had to reconsider offering a sale at a later time. I've heard that MobTown Offroad may have some inventory so give them call and see what they might have left.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

Dometic

Thank you for the offer of help. I think it’s more than the displayed data being the issue. The food is not cold in the fridge which matches what I’m seeing in the app. I probably should have been more clear that for me it’s not fluctuation. The temp only goes up.

@Seth_sd - a couple questions to, hopefully, help you track down why the temp continues to climb.

1) Are you running a dedicated second battery for your cooler? If so, what battery is it? Anything else putting a load on it?
2) When you see the voltage drop on the app is the cooler running or not?
3) If the cooler is not running and reports low voltage via the app, what does voltage show at your battery using a multimeter?

Thanks for the info!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dometic

I'm curious about the same thing as @aearles. I have a CFX3 45 ordered from OK4WD. I asked about the shipping status and they told me "At this time Dometic has a hold on the order as there is a recall they are working on."

@Dometic Do you guys have any info on what the recall is about?

News to me, but since we're all working remotely, I don't always get information immediately. I'll send out a question to the team and see what I can learn.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

aearles

Observer
Glad you found a solution given the current inventory situation. Sorry we couldn't find inventory to help you out.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Thank you! I reached out to Mobtown Offroad, they were incredibly fast to respond after hours and I got their last 55IM.

I cancelled the Engel order. “40 year fridge” is great and all but the more research I did, I decided that for the way I will use it I’d prefer the fast chilling capability of the Dometic‘s powerful compressor plus the 5 year warranty.

Thanks again!

Seth_sd

@Seth_sd - a couple questions to, hopefully, help you track down why the temp continues to climb.

1) Are you running a dedicated second battery for your cooler? If so, what battery is it? Anything else putting a load on it?
2) When you see the voltage drop on the app is the cooler running or not?
3) If the cooler is not running and reports low voltage via the app, what does voltage show at your battery using a multimeter?

Thanks for the info!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

1. I am running a 100ah Duracell AGM battery. The only thing connected to it is the fridge.
2. The cooler runs but only briefly and seems to cycle quite often and this shows a slight voltage drop On the fridge display when it runs.
3. The app is not reporting low voltage and I assume that’s because it is not below the threshold for the low battery protection setting I have it on. I’ve set battery protection to “high” to test and then it does report “voltage below threshold”. I have a cheapo voltage meter on the battery and it shows the same as the fridge when I’ve looked. I’m not gonna be able to put a multimeter on it until I get home.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thank you! I reached out to Mobtown Offroad, they were incredibly fast to respond after hours and I got their last 55IM.

I cancelled the Engel order. “40 year fridge” is great and all but the more research I did, I decided that for the way I will use it I’d prefer the fast chilling capability of the Dometic‘s powerful compressor plus the 5 year warranty.

Thanks again!
I have done a lot of tests on fridges with different size/power Compressors and while they are impressive to watch when used in real world usage the biggest Issue I have found is being able to get the power back in to the battery/s, Depending on the fridge size and brand of compressor in some cases at leased 2 X 110Ah Batteries will struggle to run such fridges for more than 2 possibly 3 days, Just try and match you fridge to your power supply and Vice Versa,

Dometic

Thanks again!

Great to hear that Mobtown Offroad got you set up with a 55IM. They are super hard to come by right now so to find one is like finding gold (y)

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dometic

1. I am running a 100ah Duracell AGM battery. The only thing connected to it is the fridge.
2. The cooler runs but only briefly and seems to cycle quite often and this shows a slight voltage drop On the fridge display when it runs.
3. The app is not reporting low voltage and I assume that’s because it is not below the threshold for the low battery protection setting I have it on. I’ve set battery protection to “high” to test and then it does report “voltage below threshold”. I have a cheapo voltage meter on the battery and it shows the same as the fridge when I’ve looked. I’m not gonna be able to put a multimeter on it until I get home.

@Seth_sd

Your battery seems reasonable as far as Ah is concerned. Is it reasonably new, or does it have a good number of cycles on it? The reason I ask is that in an earlier post you mentioned the voltage it was showing and it seemed on the low side.

For #2 this also sounds like normal behavior for the cooler. For any circuit, you'll see a voltage drop when a load is applied to it. As long as it's not dropping below the battery protection threshold, it should be good. From your post, it sounds like it's working well with the low threshold set. A high setting for threshold assumes you are using a starter battery, so it's very sensitive to lower voltage.

For every application, the gauge of wiring, whether or not the wiring is direct from the battery to your fridge, the length of the wiring run, size/age/type of battery and how the pattern in which it discharges, all play into how well the fridge appears to function. It's not uncommon for people to buy a powered fridge and find out that the wiring supporting it is insufficient, they will require a secondary power source to ensure they don't get a no-start situation, etc.

Let us know how the rest of your trip goes, what you observe relative to your specific cooler, and if you continue to have issues let us know. I'll get you connected up with our product manager when he returns from vacation.

Safe travels!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Seth_sd

@Seth_sd

Your battery seems reasonable as far as Ah is concerned. Is it reasonably new, or does it have a good number of cycles on it? The reason I ask is that in an earlier post you mentioned the voltage it was showing and it seemed on the low side.

For #2 this also sounds like normal behavior for the cooler. For any circuit, you'll see a voltage drop when a load is applied to it. As long as it's not dropping below the battery protection threshold, it should be good. From your post, it sounds like it's working well with the low threshold set. A high setting for threshold assumes you are using a starter battery, so it's very sensitive to lower voltage.

For every application, the gauge of wiring, whether or not the wiring is direct from the battery to your fridge, the length of the wiring run, size/age/type of battery and how the pattern in which it discharges, all play into how well the fridge appears to function. It's not uncommon for people to buy a powered fridge and find out that the wiring supporting it is insufficient, they will require a secondary power source to ensure they don't get a no-start situation, etc.

Let us know how the rest of your trip goes, what you observe relative to your specific cooler, and if you continue to have issues let us know. I'll get you connected up with our product manager when he returns from vacation.

Safe travels!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Back in town. Capturing errors in the app is a bit challenging because they do not persist. I sat down at camp and just watched the fridge. It seems to go through 2-3 cycles of running for <30 seconds or so and lets the temp climb 6 degrees. It then runs through a long cycle to bring the temp back down. This is when I captured the error "Valve Ice Faulty". If it's easiest, I can call support but would be happy to talk to the PM.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Back in town. Capturing errors in the app is a bit challenging because they do not persist. I sat down at camp and just watched the fridge. It seems to go through 2-3 cycles of running for <30 seconds or so and lets the temp climb 6 degrees. It then runs through a long cycle to bring the temp back down. This is when I captured the error "Valve Ice Faulty". If it's easiest, I can call support but would be happy to talk to the PM.
The reason you are seeing a rise in temp and then a drop is because the compressor is sucking the warm Gas from the element and pumping it back through the system, Every Fridge will do that, And why it appears worse is because you are using *F, That 6*f is only 3.33*c which is quite Normal. Snomaster do the same, as they take the warm Gas from the element and pump it back through the system, That's how fridges work and the problem is the App measures every little Mouse fart the Fridge does, But without the App If you watch the Fridges Own Temp Gauge you will see it rise 1 possibly 2* and then it will start to drop down again as it cools, The only problem appears is the App is too sensitive and as such seems to have a lot of people panicking,

I have put up to 4 Remote Sensors inside my many fridges and I have seen the temps fluctuate within the first minute or so of the Compressor firing up, And this is what you are seeing.

Hope that helps.

Seth_sd

The reason you are seeing a rise in temp and then a drop is because the compressor is sucking the warm Gas from the element and pumping it back through the system, Every Fridge will do that, And why it appears worse is because you are using *F, That 6*f is only 3.33*c which is quite Normal. Snomaster do the same, as they take the warm Gas from the element and pump it back through the system, That's how fridges work and the problem is the App measures every little Mouse fart the Fridge does, But without the App If you watch the Fridges Own Temp Gauge you will see it rise 1 possibly 2* and then it will start to drop down again as it cools, The only problem appears is the App is too sensitive and as such seems to have a lot of people panicking,

I have put up to 4 Remote Sensors inside my many fridges and I have seen the temps fluctuate within the first minute or so of the Compressor firing up, And this is what you are seeing.

Hope that helps.
I think you are missing part of the problem because you are focused on the +6 Degree temp rise. I am relaying the behavior that I see when I get the error. I subsequently have warm food and temps in the 60's. I also see the same temps on the fridge as I do in the app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne