Battery Monitors, what works and doesn't

Jman99

The BMV 712 was flawless on my lithium when the capacity was known & the li specific settings were in the ballpark, its a true calculator. I would feel safe using that monitor in the middle of knowhere, one glance & you trust it's SOC level. Great thing is a capacity test for me is done in the field with a high powered drain plug so every year or so I can quickly chk true capacity. By the looks a true control load test is only 1-2% more accurate & not worth it for lithium.
Also some of these dropins have a very accurate bluetooth SOC gauge they must have a good smarts inside them. But not as trusty as the victron.

The thing is you can get by with volatage & current alone, but that gets you 10-20% ballpark, to get 5-8% is far more work than a basic capacity test so it's pointless, just go a good amphour counter monitor. Also predicting the SOC on voltage is next to useless for solar as li absorbs so well you just can't say "ok thats 90%" like you can with a solid source of power.

I did try the Balmar SG200 for a few months but the thing had glicthes (soc would change by itself after resting etc), dunno if these have been fixed but their support was a joke, they basically said "yeah we dunno why that is happening" The cruisersforum thread is also full of uselessness so I gave up & what I found was the thing MUST have the correct capacity entered or else it's quite off the mark. imo it's just a calculator with BS self learning unproven crap. Since it takes 30secs to configure the BMV on th ephone & the SG200 needs a capacity test it's useless to me. HOWEVER, it has a gourgous screen unlike the 1980s style BMV need to squint your eyes just to read it display.

The hope was that this was a set & forget monitor for Lead acid, but it's BS, as it actually takes many many cycles to learn & give anykind of SOH calc. by that time you could have done a handful of 25Hr discharge tests. In fact for flooded lead acid a 5dollar volt meter, 15dollar hydrometer is all you need. This SOH is a complete load of marketing rubbish, I work with a know lifespan, so golfcart batteries are commonly said to last 4-6yrs fullime, 8-10yrs part time, so those are my replacment times. You would have to be mad to trust a SOH calculation before a big trip, might as well ask a psychic.

DRP

Another thumbs u for the Victron BMV 712.
no glitches with mine in the 1-1/2 year use.

as suggested above, buy from a good dealer like Baymarinesupply. Com or Battle Born. It’s worth the couple of bucks more when someone answers the phone for you questions

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes Balmar SG200 promises a lot, but afaic still in beta stage of development for at least another year or two.

I usually do not reco Xantrex, but their LinkPro is very accurate SoC% for LFP banks.

Not bad for lead either (4-6%) but Merlin SmartGauge is really the leader there and very simple to keep accurate without inputting all the variables a coulomb counter needs.

01tundra

Explorer
Our Victron BMV-712 has worked great with both our old Trojan T105's and our current BattleBorn LiFePO4's.

Absolutely no complaints.

moose545

Our Victron BMV-712 has worked great with both our old Trojan T105's and our current BattleBorn LiFePO4's.

Absolutely no complaints.

I finally got everything installed and I'm having an issue with my 712. I had power at the monitor itself and the AUX battery plugged into B1 port, which I now know should be in B2. I ran a 12AWG wire from the primary battery under the hood and plugged it into B1, then the other lead from B2, gauge is now dead, no power at all. Does the wire gauge from the primary/starting battery to the shunt need to be 18AWG, like the wire lead provided? If so, I need to re-run the wire with 18AWG and splice it, so that metal tip can plug into the B1 port correctly, then B2 from the AUX battery.

Before this started I had my AUX battery voltage showing as MAIN, and once I connected the Primary it got so low the Victron 712 just shut down until I drive around and charge it via my Redarc BCDC1225.

Any help is appreciated!

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Victron seems to be a good piece. Another that I have experience with is the Bogart Trimetric. It has a fair bit of intelligence built in as far as CEF and if paired with their charger it can auto calibrate periodically by itself very accurately. Charging profiles are also very very good with a great deal of flexibility. Espeicialy helpful if your on lead acid as it has some enhanced modes to help safely bring charge in faster during absorb stage. Worth checking out.

Rando

Explorer
The Bogart stuff was the bees knees in the early 2000's, but unfortunately it has not really been updated since then. At this point it is well behind the curve, in terms of features, usability and value.

If you have one installed it wouldn't be worth upgrading, but not something worth purchasing for a new install.

john61ct

Adventurer
I disagree, it is an excellent product.

If you want the centralized reporting / comms features of Victron gear, fine.

But for accurately tracking on the SoC of your bank, hard to find a better unit.

Ability to expand with Solar control, relays etc a plus.

Of course price can be an issue, but if you see one going cheap on eBay grabit, or let me know I'll buy all I can find.

Rando

Explorer
We will have to disagree on this. They WERE a market leader 20 years ago, but they appear to still be selling the same product from 20 years ago.

Not to belabor the point too much, but......

The industrial design of the Bogart is essentially non-existant (they seem to rely heavily on Radio Shack project boxes), and the UI is also arcane with an 8 segment LEDs with 'calculator text'. The SOC tracking is limited relative to the competition as the unit does not offer Peukert compensation or temperature compensation. I think at one point Bogart had a 'white paper' as to why this was better, similar to their 'white paper' as to why PWM charging (which is what they happen to offer) is better than MPPT. It seems that every one else in the industry would disagree with this effort to rebrand shortcomings as advantages with pseudo-engineering. As a former engineer, this really irked me, and I still see folks citing these 'findings'.

Their only recent improvement is the Wifi remote interface, not only is it an expensive add on, the UI on this is also reminiscent of their other work.

To use Victron as a counter point, in what way would the Trimetric superior or even equivalent to the BMV-712? I am fairly certain the Victron bests the Trimetric in most every way, including accuracy. In terms of user experience and documentation the Victron is miles ahead. To top it off, the Trimetric with Wifi and shunt is $100 more than the BMV-712.

dreadlocks

Why is everyone so hung up on accurately tracking SOC? If a tenth of a percent, or even a few whole numbers off are gonna break your bank then your already pushing it too hard.. I honestly could care less if my BMV is accurate to a thousandth or not, I'm boondocking.. not running a laboratory.. I keep my LFP calibration off intentionally, I dont charge it to 100% SOC but I've got the gauge to reset/calibrate to 100% when its really about 94%.. my low SOC cut off takes this into consideration.. but for my purposes, its 100% charged at 14.4v and its fine.. I get the data I need, power in/out, along with historical comparisons, and a really good idea how much I got left or need to put in.

Coming from the good ole days of 4 separate LED's that read 20%/40%/80%/100% on the control panel I'd say what we got now days is far more than is needed to get the job done, and thats great..

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Not to derail this from what the OP is after.. but the Bogart absolutely does have Peukert and temperature compensation.... 100%. As far as why track SOC so accurately... well... some people want too, and with lead acid especially it pays too. Its all about the goals and needs of the project at hand. As to the Bogart charger.. sure MPPT has some benefits in certain situations, though not nearly as much as most manufacturers claim, the downside from an engineering standpoint is MTBF. The nature of PWM lends itself to longevity via simplicity... and lack of arrays of electrolytic caps etc which are seemingly always what brings switch mode stuff to its knees. Not that you can't build one to last a long time, but the trend certainly doesn't seem to be putting high spec $$$$ caps in things these days either. I'd be curious if anyone knows what caps are in the Victron stuff actually? I don't have anything of theirs currently to inspect. PM me if you so as not to distract from the original intent of the thread. I don't think you can go terribly wrong with Bogart or Victron.... either should serve sufficiently and much better than the shady stuff

Rando

Explorer
The Victron units are all potted, so it is hard to see whose caps they are using, but I have certainly not heard of issues with longevity of the Victron MPPT units, or experienced any with ours.

Unfortunately the Bogart 'Trimetric' does omit both temperature and Peukert compensation (check the manual). These omissions aren't a huge deal, but do add to the question of why would you buy one when there are options that include these options and so much more, for less money?

robepa

I have the Blue Sea M2 which I like mostly... except for the LiFePO4 SOC monitoring that I have been having issues with, this last weekend it read 39% when the bank hit the cutoff voltage. They don't have LiFePO4 setting but were helpful in answering my questions and telling me how to modify the FireFly settings for LiFePO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94