Change your security lug nuts.

HUMMER/Expeditions

I had to help rescue this beautiful GX,
Trail is 14 miles long, at the end there is a primitive camp area,
trail is very rutted, very narrow and full of sharp rock,
this couple drove all the way down and right at the end they had a side wall cut,
And that stupid security lock broke on them so they couldn't change the tire.

they had no choice but to drive with blown tire, impossible mission considering how bad trail is in some sections.

I have all kinds of tools in the hummer, we spent some time with a hammer and chisel and got the locknut out, put the spare on and back on the road,

My 2017 Tacoma also has that stupid lock, this was good lesson for me as well, I am gonna get rid of that and put a normal type.F9CDC274-E89C-4859-AAAE-DF0555579FBD.jpeg35A3ECA0-5D85-4C15-8544-B1A4FAB8B066.jpegDA7EE1C6-FA47-406A-8787-20200D0D78C2.jpegD33658B5-29E8-4579-B513-4875ECE9211D.jpegB76C4D0A-2DB2-424B-A42D-3FAFFABDDE7B.jpegBFBFA2E8-E352-4021-9F83-1A493FC4547F.jpegECA6A3EB-748E-48D3-9C7B-17E5E1F7A871.jpeg

Last edited:

smokeysevin

Observer
On the acorn style spline drive nuts, I have had the splined section break off the tapered part before. I had to drill the stud out because it was recessed inside the conical seat of my wheels.

Sean

Ron B

Explorer
Eric glad you were able to help...I run into people on the trails all the time who don’t have the right tools (or any at all) to deal with anything out of the ordinary.

HUMMER/Expeditions

I think any vehicle that will get you to that special place is the right vehicle;)
hummer is ultra capable beast, but sometimes it’s nice when I drive my Tacoma, definitely more driver skills are required but that’s the fun part.
I ordered the original lug nuts to replace my security lug nuts, can’t take the chances.

HUMMER/Expeditions

What’s up Ron,
in most cases its NO TOOLS at all ?‍♂️?‍♂️

In the truck I have, welding kit, cutter, drill, 3000 watt power inverter , radiator repair kit, 2 gallons of ATF, 2 gallons of motor oil,
12 ft 3/8 hose ( if fuel tank raptures )
u never know, I go way to deep in the middle of nowhere by myself.

took this pictures at the Playa where burning man is every year, breakdown here will be catastrophic.

to put in in prospective how flat and big and remote it is, you can drive 65 mph for half an hour and not touch your steering wheel hands free, there is not even half inch change on the road surface.
6C11EC6D-2913-475F-BA73-A35D9590B16D.jpeg616062CB-BC55-4C9A-90B5-813D52F74DBE.jpeg9F08C287-9331-4653-B3AB-A5753A62560C.jpegC0898D88-1FFB-486A-B0F3-B985561629AA.jpeg3961B371-A8FE-4AA4-B82C-F414EE64CD5E.jpeg

Last edited:

llamalander

When you break your next nut, consider sacrificing a slightly oversized socket. With a helpful hammering there's a good chance you can join it to the broken nut and get them both off, if never again apart.

CMARJEEP

Observer
It’s crazy how many people don’t even have the lug nut key in their car, or know that they need it lol.

I pulled a lady out of the snow this spring. She was in an Audi SUV with low profile tires and tried to make it through a deep snow bank. I get out and think no problem I’ll just tug her out backwards real quick. She didn’t have a hitch or any exposed tow points so I asked her where her screw in tow point was. She has no idea what I was taking about. After searching the whole car we couldn’t find it so I just wrapped a tree saver through her lower control arm.

Crazy how many people go out into the wilderness without even the bare essentials for their vehicle.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Those things are also a problem for your mechanic who has to dig through all your garbage and try to find the key to do your brake job. I think I eventually acquired a few but you’ll never have them all.

HUMMER/Expeditions

Oh my god, I get so frustrated with those new SUVS that have zero tow hooks or tow points.
I was trying to pull a Kia SUV few months ago,, I had to do exactly what you did, only logical place was lower control arm.

yeos

Observer
I also got rid of that style lock after I realized that if the key was lost or broken it would be a pain to try to remove. They were lucky the factory GX wheel lug holes aren't fully enclosed.

SCNomad

Thanks Eric for saving the day for us. We were spent by the time we saw you. We were trying very idea we could think of for almost 2 hours. The sun didn't help at all. It literally took a big hammer to take the lug nut off. We took an inventory of the tools we needed and added couple of more tools; a hammer like yours is a must. Also getting new tires, BFG KO2 just like our other rigs.

Other than not having that one tool that you need, we were semi prepared. We had food and water for a couple of days. We also had an InReach and a ham radio. Also good hiking boots that I'm so glad I didn't have to use.

After everything was said and done, it was a good day. We learned something. Also glad to have met you. Your clear head and insistence to help, when we had given up, was very much appreciated. Hope to pay your kindness forward someday.

BTW, I hope you didn't have to wait for the dogs too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles