RamCruiser...the build

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I use my ipad a lot when traveling for mapping, PDF repair manuals, manuals for every accessory I use, and entertainment when not moving. Because I have 2 other vehicles set up with Jotto mount for the ipad I used the same for the RamCruiser. The Jotto mount for the iPad its one of the best I have found for its adjustability and rock hard stability. To be vib free I do not use Jotto's mount I fabricate my own. If you are in need of a mount its worth a look.

1585090393873.png

1585090417452.png
1585090448494.png

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Im a huge cheerleader for airing down and I do anytime I hit the dirt. I was not 100% on what I wanted for OBA but until I decided I needed something and it needed to be portable and fast. I have had excellent success with Puma and I thought someone should offer a portable one but no one does so I built one. Using a 12V Puma divorced compressor I set up a portable live system in a waterproof box on a 12' 8ga power cord. I can easily air up my current 4 tires from ~18 - ~44 psi in under 10 minutes. The downside is its heavy at 33lbs. I did use all-aluminum hi-flo fittings, lightest 25' hose I could find, and the best lightest live valve chuck made. It will do the job until I decide on a permanent setup.

IMG_7583.JPG
IMG_7587.JPG

There are many different ways to air down and for this truck I went with a core removing system. My reason is with the weight of the set up I will be varying my PSI for terrain and run different PSI in the front & rear.

1585092367590.png

toddz69

Explorer
Very cool thread, Phil! Looking forward to all the mods you do on this truck. I've spend a lot of time with Mark (crawler #976) on the trails with his PW (Cactus Red) over the years here in AZ. Great trail rig for its size. He eventually sold it a few years back because he needed a higher payload/towing capacity for a larger trailer they bought.

Todd Z.

Scoutman

Explorer
Subscribed for future updates..

I'm currently doing a permanent install of a puma pump with tank behind a bed panel on my 06 partially because of your reviews. I've used it a a portable solution stored it in a pelican 1600 case like above (but with tank) and man it's heavy. Looking forward to not lugging that around anymore.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
The RamCruiser is changing quicker than I can document. It my quest to determine my camper needs without a bed I have come to the conclusion this gen Ram has one of the strongest frames I have seen in a full size vehicle. Does not matter how hard I twist it does not move. I have 1” of clearance above the cab and only 1/2” in the center of the cab from an antenna mount and have never seen a change. It is looking like I will be able to mount directly to the frame.

655BD638-710B-4487-B074-64FC4099E0BD.jpegF32DDC0E-B779-44E2-A6C3-8CBAB4567774.jpeg

9E804F50-0466-4EA0-B58B-1FE0A422C511.jpeg

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
The RamCruiser is changing quicker than I can document. It my quest to determine my camper needs without a bed I have come to the conclusion this gen Ram has one of the strongest frames I have seen in a full size vehicle. Does not matter how hard I twist it does not move. I have 1” of clearance above the cab and only 1/2” in the center of the cab from an antenna mount and have never seen a change. It is looking like I will be able to mount directly to the frame............
Phil, it does have impressive articulation and sounds like it's good news that your frame is not flexing to cause contact with the close clearance between your cab and camper. I've read and heard though, that flexibility (limited of course) is where a well designed truck frame excels above the concept that a strong frame doesn't flex. I'm wondering what will happen when you approach the limits of the frame. It's been a few years, but I remember one of the complaints about Dodge trucks was the frame was not up to the competition's standards. I haven't been in the market for a truck for years, so things may have changed. Impressive truck, though! (y)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Phil, it does have impressive articulation and sounds like it's good news that your frame is not flexing to cause contact with the close clearance between your cab and camper. I've read and heard though, that flexibility (limited of course) is where a well designed truck frame excels above the concept that a strong frame doesn't flex. I'm wondering what will happen when you approach the limits of the frame. It's been a few years, but I remember one of the complaints about Dodge trucks was the frame was not up to the competition's standards. I haven't been in the market for a truck for years, so things may have changed. Impressive truck, though! (y)

This type of flexing will not be the norm but I need to design with it in mind so I have no worries going forward.

Interesting read from the Factory manual -
"This vehicle has an RTI of 655, which means you can articulate one of the front wheel 32 inches in the air while the other three wheels remain in contact with the ground."

I tested it...... O'course
rsz_img_7735.jpg

pkelly72

Adventurer
Phil, what are you going to do about a heater? I remember you saying diesel but not sure if you’ve committed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Is that your truck? What tires are those? I can't read the sidewall, but they look good. Might have to trim.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Is that your truck? What tires are those? I can't read the sidewall, but they look good. Might have to trim.

Yes same truck and tires in post #37 Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.50x17
They have had a good workout and I dont need to trim. I might need to increase my bumpstop because I can hit the top of the inner fender well

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
My 315/75/16's fit similar on the front of my 80 with an OME 2.5" lift. I just compared our 2 sizes on my tire calculator. Your size is a skoash larger.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles