Halligan

Adventurer
Thanks for reply. In Massachusetts my dealer wouldn't let me take the bike home unless it was registered and insured. I joined ThumperTalk as well and been lurking over there quite a bit. How long has it been for your seat? I ordered a Seat Concepts seat the other day and was hoping it wouldn't take to long to arrive. The stock seat is not friendly.

Ironically I ordered a Rack n Roll MX carrier on Saturday as it appears to be one of the nicest carriers on the market. Today I received an email today from Leeroy, who I assume is the owner of the company, and he said that supply was low in USA for the MX carrier so he was shipping mine from Australia and I should have it in 4-5 days. He also sent me copies of all shipping labels and PDF's with information on assembly and use of the rack. So far I'm impressed with the customer support and if I have the carrier in 4-5 days from Australia I'll be extremely pleased.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Not really. Congratulations on the bike!

Just puttering around empty streets and parking lots a few times. I should have time this week to actually spend some time riding every day. I also need to get it registered. I zip tied the original temporary tag on it for now so I won't look like a goob on a dirt bike, but I don't think the 2018 date will hold up to much scrutiny. I have insurance, and that's what really matters.

My Seat Concepts order may arrive this week. It's been longer than the COVID-19 delay notice said it would be; I'm not going to bother them for at least another week.

I ordered a Klim Baja S4 jacket today. I knew that the Carlsbad would be too hot in the summer unless I was on the highway, and I know better than to ride in a T-shirt. I plan to add armor + jersey when I start riding more technical stuff where lower speeds and impact protection are more important than abrasion protection at road speeds.

I've been getting caught up on the big Thumper Talk thread. Interesting ideas about changing the fueling with some resistor work. Defeating the fuel cutoff on deceleration would be a step in the right direction.

There has been a trend on the ADV thread of late bashing the Vortex, I am not sure where this is stemming from, odds are the price, but I find it hilarious. The Vortex does exactly what it claims and all of us who own them can verify that. It's a one and done fix and I personally wouldn't bother with anything else but I am also not advocating to spend other peoples hard earned money either haha.

Thanks for reply. In Massachusetts my dealer wouldn't let me take the bike home unless it was registered and insured. I joined ThumperTalk as well and been lurking over there quite a bit. How long has it been for your seat? I ordered a Seat Concepts seat the other day and was hoping it wouldn't take to long to arrive. The stock seat is not friendly.

Ironically I ordered a Rack n Roll MX carrier on Saturday as it appears to be one of the nicest carriers on the market. Today I received an email today from Leeroy, who I assume is the owner of the company, and he said that supply was low in USA for the MX carrier so he was shipping mine from Australia and I should have it in 4-5 days. He also sent me copies of all shipping labels and PDF's with information on assembly and use of the rack. So far I'm impressed with the customer support and if I have the carrier in 4-5 days from Australia I'll be extremely pleased.

The seat will be worth the wait, they are a great company and will take care of you in a timely fashion or as soon as humanly possible.

I have been using the Rack N Roll carrier for about a year and a half now and I love it. I agree that it's the best option on the market (followed by the Ultimate MX Hauler) and their CS is fantastic. If Leeroy says he'll have something to you in a week from Down Under then he means it. He's sent me a few items over this past year free of charge and I couldn't be more grateful for how he personally handles these requests. Take your time assembling the carrier and use heat shrink on the wiring.

shade

There has been a trend on the ADV thread of late bashing the Vortex, I am not sure where this is stemming from, odds are the price, but I find it hilarious. The Vortex does exactly what it claims and all of us who own them can verify that. It's a one and done fix and I personally wouldn't bother with anything else but I am also not advocating to spend other peoples hard earned money either haha.
I think a few people just got their panties caught in a vortex about it. I have no doubt it makes the bike perform the way at least some of the Honda engineers wanted it to, and I'm fairly sure I'll have a yellow box at some point, but I keep hoping for a quieter aftermarket exhaust to pair with it.

I'm still buying other things, anyway. :)

shade

I bought my bike used. All that was required was the exchange of a signed title and a fistful of $100 bills.

I ordered my seat on 5/26, so it's only a little overdue. They'll get it done soon, I'm sure. I opted for the seam sealed cover, which may have added a few days.

The RnR is well made, and worth the wait. I've used one of those Harbor Freight ladder framed POS to move a 200 lb scooter, and there's no way I'd use it for my L, even if it's rated for 400 lbs.

shade

I ordered a small tail bag so I won't have to put everything in my pockets or on my back. I think it'll be a good fit for the bike and me, and will be flexible enough to incorporate with other bags. I ordered the Small (6.5L, below). I can always strap another rolltop I already have to the top of it if I need a little more capacity.

1593447205884.png

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I think a few people just got their panties caught in a vortex about it. I have no doubt it makes the bike perform the way at least some of the Honda engineers wanted it to, and I'm fairly sure I'll have a yellow box at some point, but I keep hoping for a quieter aftermarket exhaust to pair with it.

I'm still buying other things, anyway. :)

Yea, I think it's a "we ain't gonna spend $700" kind of thing to shame those that have. Petty immature attitudes are starting to dominate that thread unfortunately, but most forums fall victim to that environment if moderators don't keep things in check.

As far as a quiet exhaust goes, it doesn't get any quieter than the FMF Q4 with the Quiet Core Insert installed.

I ordered a small tail bag so I won't have to put everything in my pockets or on my back. I think it'll be a good fit for the bike and me, and will be flexible enough to incorporate with other bags. I ordered the Small (6.5L, below). I can always strap another rolltop I already have to the top of it if I need a little more capacity.

View attachment 595144

That's looks like a good bag, I know Mark (@MVI) likes his and I have few buddies running their newer saddle bags as well with few complaints. It's double the size of my Giant Loop Possibles Pouch @3.5L, which is a little on the small side but with my now hacked off subframe I am not comfortable putting anymore weight on the actual fender itself than I need to. It works for me to store a spare tube or tools or a rain jacket should I need to shed/add gear during a ride. At 6.5L with that Enduristan bag you should be able to store quite a bit.

Mosko Moto really upped the game for the competition when they came on the scene a few years ago and now all of the bag companies are putting out some quality water proof/resistant gear in order to compete.

shade

Yea, I think it's a "we ain't gonna spend $700" kind of thing to shame those that have. Petty immature attitudes are starting to dominate that thread unfortunately, but most forums fall victim to that environment if moderators don't keep things in check.

As far as a quiet exhaust goes, it doesn't get any quieter than the FMF Q4 with the Quiet Core Insert installed.

That's looks like a good bag, I know Mark (@MVI) likes his and I have few buddies running their newer saddle bags as well with few complaints. It's double the size of my Giant Loop Possibles Pouch @3.5L, which is a little on the small side but with my now hacked off subframe I am not comfortable putting anymore weight on the actual fender itself than I need to. It works for me to store a spare tube or tools or a rain jacket should I need to shed/add gear during a ride. At 6.5L with that Enduristan bag you should be able to store quite a bit.

Mosko Moto really upped the game for the competition when they came on the scene a few years ago and now all of the bag companies are putting out some quality water proof/resistant gear in order to compete.
How loud is the FMF Q4 w/QC compared to stock?

I think that Enduristan bag is a good size for most anything I'll do in a day. It's amazing to see how much more a waterproof bag costs once a zipper is added. Rolltop is fine for me.

I like the look of Mosko's tank bags; I think I could get my mirrorless camera in one with a few lenses. I have a great waterproof camera bag, but I'm not sure how well I could mount it on the L's tank.

shade

ECU/exhaust upgrade parts list

$700 - Vortex ECU
(I could run the Vortex with the OEM-ish settings with the OEM exhaust. Kind of a waste, but it'd be quiet, while addressing some EPA/CARB induced deficiencies.)

$120 - Honda CRF450X header: Part #18320-MEY-670
$53 - Honda Protector (heat shield): Part #18323-MEY-A30
$10 - Honda mounting hardware for heat shield
$4 - Honda exhaust gasket: Part #18291-MEB-670

or
$270 - FMF CRF450X Stainless MegaBomb header: Part #041577
(I doubt I'd benefit from whatever performance comes from spending $100 more.)

$350 - FMF CRF450X Q4 HEX S/A muffler: Part #041578

I'm not in a hurry to order any of that, of course.

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer

$700 - Vortex ECU
(I could run the Vortex with the OEM-ish settings with the OEM exhaust. Kind of a waste, but it'd be quiet, while addressing some EPA/CARB induced deficiencies.)

or

(I'm guessing it comes with the Quiet insert installed.)

Thanks for laying that list out. I took my bike out for the 3rd time today since I picked it up. The thing is convinced to make me look like a novice who's never modulated a clutch before. I actually had a dicey moment when the thing stalled out while making a left hand turn on a blind curve with oncoming traffic. I've never in my life had so many stalls with any vehicle I've ever driven. It's actually pissing me off because I'm trying to get some riding technique down and the whole flameout issue is very distracting. I've already dumped serious cash into riding gear and other bike parts so dropping another $1,250 is irritating to think about. I've probably had 10 stalls over 3 rides though so something has to be done.

Never mind the the jerky on/off feeling when you let off the throttle then get back on it. I really hope the Vortex and exhaust straighten this thing out.

Tex68w

Beach Bum

$700 - Vortex ECU

or

(I'm guessing it comes with the Quiet insert installed.)

Yes, the quiet core insert is installed when purchased. You can remove it easily by pulling out the circle clip that holds it in.

Thanks for laying that list out. I took my bike out for the 3rd time today since I picked it up. The thing is convinced to make me look like a novice who's never modulated a clutch before. I actually had a dicey moment when the thing stalled out while making a left hand turn on a blind curve with oncoming traffic. I've never in my life had so many stalls with any vehicle I've ever driven. It's actually pissing me off because I'm trying to get some riding technique down and the whole flameout issue is very distracting. I've already dumped serious cash into riding gear and other bike parts so dropping another $1,250 is irritating to think about. I've probably had 10 stalls over 3 rides though so something has to be done.

Never mind the the jerky on/off feeling when you let off the throttle then get back on it. I really hope the Vortex and exhaust straighten this thing out.

Haha, that's more than most but yes, it sucks. Try bringing the idle up some until you get the Vortex. I have had the Vortex and full FMF exhaust for over a year now and yes it totally transforms the bike and eliminates the flame out issue.

Last edited:

shade

Safety will drive my purchase more than anything, and if I find myself stalling frequently, I'll probably buy a Vortex to deal with the throttle & decel issues. To soften the blow, you can stick with the OEM exhaust and the Vortex should improve control. You can add the exhaust later.

Also, that price list is for all new parts. A quick check of eBay shows some used 450X parts, and I'll probably make my own heat shield before spending $53 on Honda's part. No way around the $700 price of the Vortex if you want the proven, do-it-all solution. You could try some of the other options to adjust the fueling and throttle response, but they still cost money, and don't fully address the problems. Frankly, I'd rather do it once, and do it right. A full ECU replacement fits that requirement.

On TT, there's been some discussion of an ECU piggyback from Bazazz: https://bazzaz.net/product/honda-crf450l-2019/
Maybe it's great, but considering it's in the same price range as a Vortex, and the V is a known-good solution, I'd stick with it.

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
Do you have to change out the factory 450l header pipe to put on the FMF Q4 muffler? If it a must I'd probably do the factory 450X header to save a few bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz