ExPo's Lexus GX470 Overland Project

Scott Brady

Founder
That does look great. How much does all the hardware and tire set up weigh? Does the door close okay?
I weighed it at 19 pounds total.

The door closes just as before, but you can hear the notable metal/metal engagement of the ramping support at the base of the Becky. That is why I chose this model, because of the additional support.

For the water, I am looking at this clever new product. It fits in the spare location, which is ideal for my current configuration. It is also a fuel-stable material, so it would work as aux fuel storage. At 6 gallons, I can see using two: one for water (plumed in some way) and the other for emergency fuel storage.

A6500003.webp

fb23ca_443876cc06324564a70ff817cb3806b0~mv2_d_6000_3376_s_4_2.webp

WOODY2

Adventurer
I weighed it at 19 pounds total.

The door closes just as before, but you can hear the notable metal/metal engagement of the ramping support at the base of the Becky. That is why I chose this model, because of the additional support.

For the water, I am looking at this clever new product. It fits in the spare location, which is ideal for my current configuration. It is also a fuel-stable material, so it would work as aux fuel storage. At 6 gallons, I can see using two: one for water (plumed in some way) and the other for emergency fuel storage.

A6500003.webp

fb23ca_443876cc06324564a70ff817cb3806b0~mv2_d_6000_3376_s_4_2.webp
Their website says these are not certified for fuel storage, great idea but?

Scott Brady

Founder
Their website says these are not certified for fuel storage, great idea but?
They are not certified as such, but produced with material suitable for fuel storage. i.e., buyer beware. It is rare to need extra fuel in the US, so if I was to fill it up in Mexico, then it would be 100% legal :)

WOODY2

Adventurer
They are not certified as such, but produced with material suitable for fuel storage. i.e., buyer beware. It is rare to need extra fuel in the US, so if I was to fill it up in Mexico, then it would be 100% legal :)
Rather like being PG, either you are or you're not. Interesting concept, they should patent it if possible then sell to Scepter or RotoPax who are familiar with fuel safe materials. That would put me onboard. :)

Scott Brady

Founder
Rather like being PG, either you are or you're not. Interesting concept, they should patent it if possible then sell to Scepter or RotoPax who are familiar with fuel safe materials. That would put me onboard. :)
It is a small company that produced an innovative product. They likely just need some time and volume. Personally, I am grateful to see innovation in a sea of knock-offs.

If you haven't heard of Kaon, they build a few items for the 120s. I was surprised they have less for the 120 vs the 150.

I ordered and installed the rear door table on my GX460. Shipping and cost was not bad due to exchange rate. parts ship DHL and take about a week.

F350joe

If you haven't heard of Kaon, they build a few items for the 120s. I was surprised they have less for the 120 vs the 150.

I ordered and installed the rear door table on my GX460. Shipping and cost was not bad due to exchange rate. parts ship DHL and take about a week.

I made bar for my cargo door, put LEDs in the trim with translucent red plexi for night vision. I was weary of the side opening door but now that i have it i like it. DC27F0D4-997D-4C06-B707-EB70BA2417B3.jpegDC27F0D4-997D-4C06-B707-EB70BA2417B3.jpeg7F2EDF03-F27E-4AE3-AAB1-1DD525225A74.jpeg6B26A03B-6793-495D-A65F-136BCEE6BC5D.jpeg

Tex68w

Beach Bum

+1 for the Kaon rear door table. I love mine, I just need to use it more lol.

kmroxo

Observer
The Becky looks amazing, but there are more hidden costs (where are you going to mount your plate, plate lights, reverse lights) that drove the already high cost even higher. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a buy once, cry once, kind of guy, but my calculations put it about 50% or more than the cost of a Wilco Hitchgate Solo High Clearance. I admit that the Wilco isn’t as convenient because I have to open that before I can open the door.

I’m running 265/70R17 (just under 32”) and stock suspension because the air suspension is just so great for varying loads. I run daily driver mode, fully family + dog and gear +/- trailer +/- hitchmount moto carrier and it is always level.

Here is my take on the aux fuel tank vs water in the old spare tire location: If you think fuel is easy to find then water is even easier to find. Larger water tanks need to be cleaned thoroughly, especially if you let water sit for a long time. But the extra fuel not only lets you purchase fuel at the best prices (admittedly probably won’t cover the cost of the tank + install for a LONG time), but gives you extreme flexibility in routing and stopping. This has more benefit to some than others, which is why this is “my take” and not purported to be gospel. With two kids and a dog I want to minimize stops that are unnecessary and be able to stop whenever I need to at the same time. I’m planning for the LRA tank next spring to help facilitate that and I’ll carry my Scepter water cans as needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles