ExPo's Lexus GX470 Overland Project

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Some progress on the modifications. Unpackaged the Becky and am impressed by the assembly quality, welds, etc. It is nearly finished, and took me about eight hours. Some of that time was removing additional items and painting the rear chrome piece, so maybe five hours if only doing the mount.
View attachment 582929

Also was able to get the beadlocks mounted at Summit 4x4 in Prescott. Nice little shop and the charged a fair price for mounting beadlocks.
View attachment 582930
I have always been a fan of AEV wheels, so it is cool to be able to get them for the GX. They are true beadlocks, but can also be configured as a standard wheel with a decorative ring. The valve stem is well protected.

Toyo released their new ATIII Open Country, so I am giving those a test. LT255/80 R17, which is about 33.1 x 10.5. A good size for the GX IMHO

AEV wheels for a Toyota?

Scott Brady

Founder
I have considered having two tanks under there, but ultimately range is just really not an issue in the US. If it is, I can bring a few 20L cans along. The factory GX470 tank is about 19 gallons.

It is certainly range-limited, but ok for how I plan to use the vehicle in North America.

(there are also potential legal considerations around aux fuel tanks that are not diesel)

Ghost Who Walks

Ghost Who Walks
Thats somewhat range limited,
But depending on how you drive it, plus 1-2 Jerry's,
And there is probably more scope for fuel stations in NA compared to AUS(Outback),
A smaller water tank could possible be the go.
The standard wheel that I have 265/65/17 on a factory rim is 38kg/83lbs, so maybe 30-50L of water could be a good thing, plus keep the rear suspension tame when no load in the rear(I use 2 spares for this purpose)

Quinn

Observer
Those AEV wheels will look great on the white GX.

Your previous vehicles always had good attention to detail, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. ?

Ghost Who Walks

Ghost Who Walks
Long shot I know,
But are the headlights in the weapon Projectors?
If so,
Would it be possible to see how they are mounted?
Some in an Aussie Prado would be awesome.
Then again, saving up the money and doing the Pan American Hwy in a 2005 Toyota Landcruiser Prado would be awesome,
Especially a RHD vehicle

ADVSubaru

Observer
I'm really looking forward to the build - mostly because every modification you do is planned and executed extremely well.

I contemplated the AEV Crestone wheels when I was looking to change out the OE wheels but ultimately decided on the OE FJ Cruiser steelies. The Crestone's are going to look killer on there, especially since the GX is white :love:.

But are the headlights in the weapon Projectors?
If so,
Would it be possible to see how they are mounted?

They are projectors but they aren't great. My wife's 2005 CRV has reflector headlights and they are infinitely better headlights than the GX470. You'd be much better off doing a proper retrofit with aftermarket projectors and high quality HID's.

F350joe

Back at the GX project, and finished up the Becky install. It completely changes the rear of the Lexus and puts the spare where I prefer it. A water tank in the spare location has moved up the list. . .
That does look great. How much does all the hardware and tire set up weigh? Does the door close okay?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier