Camping Totes or Dry Food Storage

86scotty

Cynic
1. One very big IndelB Truckfridge
2. One big Rubbermaid style tote with locking handles for boxed stuff and stuff we don't need every meal plus canned goods
3. One big open black canvas cheapo trunk organizer (Walmart/Ebay/Amazon special). This is about the size of a tote but open on top with several sections. Everything like snack foods, fresh fruits and veggies, things in bags and loose items go in it. Bread, chips, snack bars, TP roll, PT roll, dish soap and glass cleaner bottles, etc.. We sit it on one rear seat and it is constantly the 'go to' whilst on the road or parked. Everyone can reach it. We cover it with a towel when parked in bear country.
4. You didn't ask this but we have a second nesting locking handle tote that is the chuck box (kitchen box). All silverware, cookware, butane stove, propane and butane bottles, spices and other camp setup tools (stick lighters/bottle openers/etc.) go in it.

drrobinson

We also use a Wolf pack for dry food storage in the galley and two more for other misc. storage stacked outside on the trailer. Surprisingly weather resistant, even though Front Runner makes no claims in that regard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gringo m

Observer
I use the Plano storage trunks. 3 different sizes. Solid, w/p, inexpensive. That and MTM large and flat ammo cans.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Counterpoint: my 15-gallon plastic tub with movable dividers weighs ~5lbs, about the same as a single 50-cal steel ammo can (that has 1/8th the internal volume).

I'm all for protecting my food, but there's a level of overkill I can't justify when it comes to weight.
the ammo cans are plastic.

1000arms

the ammo cans are plastic.
o_O Sacrilege!

But, what else should I expect, from someone who has been "awarded" a cowbell? :cool:

That being said, plastic can be pretty tough, which is why the savvy bears have a coin purse and/or a screwdriver:

Last edited:

1000arms

... Everything like snack foods, fresh fruits and veggies, things in bags and loose items go in it. Bread, chips, snack bars, TP roll, PT roll, dish soap and glass cleaner bottles, etc.. We sit it on one rear seat and it is constantly the 'go to' whilst on the road or parked. Everyone can reach it. We cover it with a towel when parked in bear country. ...
Is the towel a napkin or a tablecloth for a bear? :unsure: ... :cool:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
o_O Sacrilege!

But, what else should I expect, from someone who has been "awarded" a cowbell? :cool:

That being said, plastic can be pretty tough, which is why the savvy bears have a coin purse and/or a screwdriver:

I bought the cowbell and awarded it to myself after dangling the Power Wagon off a cliff. Then my wife hid it for about 8 years ---- only found it last week.
Luckily @StumpXJ was there and pulled the winchline for me; couldn't take my foot off the brake. Both rear tires off the cliff. (got caught in a rock slide)

These were on sale for $7.99 so I picked up a few. https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...ry-storage-ammunition-box/705904.uts?slotId=0

1000arms

I bought the cowbell and awarded it to myself after dangling the Power Wagon off a cliff. Then my wife hid it for about 8 years ---- only found it last week.
Luckily @StumpXJ was there and pulled the winchline for me; couldn't take my foot off the brake. Both rear tires off the cliff. (got caught in a rock slide)

These were on sale for $7.99 so I picked up a few. https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...ry-storage-ammunition-box/705904.uts?slotId=0
Speaking of winches and feet, I might need some help pulling my foot out of my mouth.

Wow, did you have to replace your seat too, or just your underwear? :unsure: ... :cool:

I'm glad you didn't go off the cliff!

86scotty

Cynic

I know all about that as I have camped in bear country a large part of my life. I travel a lot out west but live in the Smokies and we have plenty of curious black bears. Bears can SEE too. The towel covers colorful bags that contain things like Doritos and the like. If you are assuming I don't know what I'm doing I'm afraid you are wrong. If a bear wants in a vehicle he's going to get there. EVERY one of us keeps food, glorious smelling food, in and around our camping rigs. The towel is just a just for visual distraction. ;)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I know all about that as I have camped in bear country a large part of my life. I travel a lot out west but live in the Smokies and we have plenty of curious black bears. Bears can SEE too. The towel covers colorful bags that contain things like Doritos and the like. If you are assuming I don't know what I'm doing I'm afraid you are wrong. If a bear wants in a vehicle he's going to get there. EVERY one of us keeps food, glorious smelling food, in and around our camping rigs. The towel is just a just for visual distraction. ;)
Yep. And a car or trailer with food in it is just like a tin can waiting to be peeled open to a bear.

download.jpg
Bear-and-RV-entry.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

I have used the same two Action Packer totes for over 10 years. Inside them I segregate things by using one gallon and two gallon zip lock bags.

1000arms

... Everything like snack foods, fresh fruits and veggies, things in bags and loose items go in it. Bread, chips, snack bars, TP roll, PT roll, dish soap and glass cleaner bottles, etc.. We sit it on one rear seat and it is constantly the 'go to' whilst on the road or parked. Everyone can reach it. We cover it with a towel when parked in bear country. ...
Well, I didn't know how much you knew about bears, I wanted to take the opportunity to possibly educate any number of people about bears, and I do enjoy my sense of humor, even if it can be "grizzly". :cool:

Someone once said to me, "We saw a bear on the bus this morning!"

I immediately asked, "Who let the bear on the bus?" :cool:

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
No worries, your link is a good one and people need to see it. I guess my response sounded harsh. Not intended.

1000arms

Well, I didn't know how much you knew about bears, I wanted to take the opportunity to possibly educate any number of people about bears, and I do enjoy my sense of humor, even if it can be "grizzly". :cool:

Someone once said to me, "We saw a bear on the bus this morning!"

I immediately asked, "Who let the bear on the bus?" :cool:
No worries, your link is a good one and people need to see it. I guess my response sounded harsh. Not intended.
I think we both have been trying to be polite, and we both have succeeded. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles