EC FX vs. GXV Patagonia

Not trying to start any arguments, but would love to hear/read about people's thoughts comparing these two platforms. With the cost of the new EC not being that far off from a K370 Patagonia, I'm curious what folks see as the benefits and trade-offs of one platform over the other. Ready, set, go!

38snubby

I do not think there is much to compare. One is far bigger than the other. The EC will simply go places the GXV can't go. That said the GXV is going to be much more comfortable due to the fact that it is much more spacious inside as well as being more luxurious.

gregmchugh

Observer
There is still probably at least a $100k price differential and the main differences would be larger size and customization options with the GXV. We have a GXV Patagonia and at some point when we stop traveling full time and downsize our vehicle, the best option I see now would be a EC dual cab for a smaller cab forward truck which we prefer. Customization for the GXV is very flexible and the EC is minimal in comparison.

gregmchugh

Observer
I do not think there is much to compare. One is far bigger than the other. The EC will simply go places the GXV can't go. That said the GXV is going to be much more comfortable due to the fact that it is much more spacious inside as well as being more luxurious.

Agree with your assessment but in terms of luxury I think the EC meets my needs fine. Our GXV is basic and not made luxurious but you can design them that way if you want to spend the money to do it. I do value functionality more than luxury and actually prefer the EC design and materials to the GXV so it may just be my view on it.

38snubby

Agree with your assessment but in terms of luxury I think the EC meets my needs fine. Our GXV is basic and not made luxurious but you can design them that way if you want to spend the money to do it. I do value functionality more than luxury and actually prefer the EC design and materials to the GXV so it may just be my view on it.

My opinion is entirely subjective and yours is entirely objective being an owner of a GXV. I have watched the video of your rig and I can say while you did choose a more basic interior it is still quite nice and you do have a queen bed if I am not mistaken. I am a larger person, so I need the extra space of a queen and that will be a big factor for me when I buy. I do believe that the EC is only available with a full size bed.

gregmchugh

Observer
My opinion is entirely subjective and yours is entirely objective being an owner of a GXV. I have watched the video of your rig and I can say while you did choose a more basic interior it is still quite nice and you do have a queen bed if I am not mistaken. I am a larger person, so I need the extra space of a queen and that will be a big factor for me when I buy. I do believe that the EC is only available with a full size bed.

As I recall, EC is indicating a queen bed but it is oriented crosswise. Whoever gets up to pee the most at night should sleep on the forward side. Our queen is lengthwise so getting out is a little easier.

38snubby

As I recall, EC is indicating a queen bed but it is oriented crosswise. Whoever gets up to pee the most at night should sleep on the forward side. Our queen is lengthwise so getting out is a little easier.

Ah so you chose the north/south bed configuration. How much extra space is added on to the Patagonia with that option? I will have to revisit the EC as I must be mistaken on the bed size.

gregmchugh

Observer
Ah so you chose the north/south bed configuration. How much extra space is added on to the Patagonia with that option? I will have to revisit the EC as I must be mistaken on the bed size.

we have a 20 ft cabin with the rear 2 ft being a full height rear storage area accessed with a rear garage door. Spare is inside the rear storage. You can use an East West bed in order to get more interior area in front of the bed. Most built after ours have 22 ft or longer cabins with the bed fully at the rear to get more interior area. We decided on more rear storage and gave up some interior space. We also moved some of the under bed storage to the front with cabinet access from inside and gave up some under bed area in the rear accessed storage area. Fresh water tank is under the bed in ours. Lots of trade offs available for interior space vs rear storage space. We travel full time so carry a lot of stuff so went for rear storage.

38snubby

we have a 20 ft cabin with the rear 2 ft being a full height rear storage area accessed with a rear garage door. Spare is inside the rear storage. You can use an East West bed in order to get more interior area in front of the bed. Most built after ours have 22 ft or longer cabins with the bed fully at the rear to get more interior area. We decided on more rear storage and gave up some interior space. We also moved some of the under bed storage to the front with cabinet access from inside and gave up some under bed area in the rear accessed storage area. Fresh water tank is under the bed in ours. Lots of trade offs available for interior space vs rear storage space. We travel full time so carry a lot of stuff so went for rear storage.

So if you were going to build another GXV would it still be a Patagonia? If not what model would you choose? If you were to build another Patagonia what would you do differently? Thanks for taking the time to respond to the questions.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I agree with Howard.

Drive and spend time in both if possible.

Its a personal decision. A lot of folks love the Fuso platform. I drove a friends and disliked pretty much everything about it, but he absolutely loves it.

But... Didnt they just announce no more Fusos in North America? That would play into the decision i am thinking...

ScottPC

One thing is for sure, there is no one perfect EV to satisfy the way everyone wants to use them and when you find the perfect one for you there are still going to be trade offs. I think it helps to identify the features that makes one platform unique and determine if those characteristics will enhance your travels and still be very comfortable at your destination. With the Patagonia, you'll have a highly capable off road chassis, thicker insulation, higher end windows and more customization possibilities. In some more extreme sustained travel situations these characteristics may be important and worth the added costs.

With the EC, it's off road capable AND has international city friendly features, meaning with its short wheel base (134in) and overall length (~21 feet) it maneuvers tight streets better than most pickup trucks with its tight turning radius and still fits in a traditional parking spot. At least with the EC EXP (popup) you can fit it in a shipping container, navigate under branches, rock overhangs (WRT), low bridges and even drive throughs. With the EC FX, there are a few more height limitations. These characteristics translate to tight switchbacks and offroad maneuverability when on the trail. The tradeoffs for these characteristics are largely interior storage, tank sizes, and bed configurations. EC has moved from a diesel to gas platform in which one benefit is no DEF to worry about during international travel. With Fuso withdrawing from the NA market, EC has a few other similar platforms in which they'll be able to adapt. I doubt there will be any real issues for parts and service of a Fuso based EV even after 2028, when they'll be officially out of the NA market. They still be produced internationally and there are many 3rd party parts distribution channels.

gregmchugh

Observer
I agree with Howard.

Drive and spend time in both if possible.

Its a personal decision. A lot of folks love the Fuso platform. I drove a friends and disliked pretty much everything about it, but he absolutely loves it.

But... Didnt they just announce no more Fusos in North America? That would play into the decision i am thinking...

Yes, EC has announced that they will continue building on the gasoline Fuso while chassis are still available and transition to the gasoline GMC cab forward chassis (Isuzu) for their 4wd conversion and camper builds.

gregmchugh

Observer
So if you were going to build another GXV would it still be a Patagonia? If not what model would you choose? If you were to build another Patagonia what would you do differently? Thanks for taking the time to respond to the questions.

Would still get a Patagonia with no major differences...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles