Idacamper2.0 Color change, please let me know your thoughts.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks guys

The wife thinks I should make the round vent cover into a rising moon..... :ROFLMAO:

But even with my OCD, no way I bothering with the vents any further. They fit the bill, and are designed with function in mind.
They are both stainless, and I could have left then as they were, but I chose to coat them to allow them to disappear a bit.

It is looking great.

I have never heard of gacoroof. I assume you have used it in the past and reapplying. If my assumption is correct, how long has it been on before you reapply this time. One of my major issues with my truck camper is I haven't found a single sheet of aluminum or steel to cover it. It is 12 x 6. So maybe I overlap the sheets and then apply this stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

GacoRoof is a 100% silicone fluid applied rood coating, and the only roof coating that I fully recommend for any camper.
It bonds to itself (making touch ups and color changes possible), is rated for ponding water, bonds to pretty much anything, and will never degrade in the sun/elements.

The entire roof of our camper was coated in GaoRoof (tan color) when it was originally built (2013) and has yet to see or need any kind of repair.
It really is incredible stuff.

Only reason we are applying another coat is to do a color change to white. (y)

42334273430_a2312fb4d5_o.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A bit more work.

This morning on the AC vent cover. Its made out of .090 perforated aluminum.
I dont do a lot of sheetmetal work, but with the small brake I have and some creativity I got it done, and it looks decent.

It will be mounted on the top via a stainless hinge, and fastened to the wall on the bottom with stainless hardware.

50002066948_455fbac0da_b.jpg

50002585766_6a480561aa_b.jpg

50002585316_b37cf88d5f_b.jpg

1000arms

Awesome job the results turned out great. There is one thing that would bug the crap out of me. That darn vent in the top of the tree. That is just me and my OCD.
Just paint the vents to look like UFOs. :cool:

Sorry, no, I don't have a better solution. :unsure:
... But even with my OCD, no way I am bothering with the vents any further. They fit the bill, and are designed with function in mind.
They are both stainless, and I could have left then as they were, but I chose to coat them to allow them to disappear a bit. ...
Just shine a flickering green light into each vent, that should be easy enough, and legal in most US states. Plus, you wouldn't have to touch the vents themselves. :cool:

Combine that with a few dents from the inside of the aluminum AC cover, as if something was trying to escape, and you will likely confuse the heck out of onlookers! :cool:

:unsure:

Okay, okay, never mind all that. The camper is looking good!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
AC cover done.

Also got the rear deflector in. Time will tell if its long enough for the AC vent.
The deflector is also .090 aluminum, with a 22 degree brake in it. Though it was acid primed and painted to match the exterior white of the camper.
The deflector was wet set into Gacoroof, fastened with stainless screws, then overcoated with gaco roof.
Once cured, and once it quits raining, Ill drag it out the shop to do a full on roof scrub/wash to prep for the rest of the Gacoroof application.

50003322657_62ebc490da_b.jpg

50003065961_fa30522b2b_b.jpg

50003323317_feda74e98f_b.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Out of the shop, white gacoroof applied, solar reinstalled, etc...

Just have a deep clean for the interior, and a bit more reassembly to do for this weekends trip.
After we are back Ill have to continue the work on the AC install.
Still have some fresh cabinets to build too...

50017846356_57eec41b8b_b.jpg

50017318473_3a71af9c3c_b.jpg

glennm01

Beautiful stuff, @IdaSHO. Question -- I realize you did multiple passes with different colors in order to get these graphics, and so I'm assuming that no one color actually covers the whole box, but hypothetically, if one wanted to monstaline a box of roughly similar size with just a single color, do you have a sense of how long it would take to spray each coat?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
By the book, Monstaliner recommends 2-3 coats

I prefer to mix each batch I will use for that coat right before I spray.
As apposed to mixing the entire volume needed for all 3 coats.

Not including the mixing for each coat, you are looking at 15-20 minutes or so for each coat.
Then wait the suggested hour for each coat, before applying additional coats.
In that time you should clean out the gun, and prepare for the next coat.

So assuming 3 coats, Id say a safe total time to do it would be 3 hours.

15 minutes to spray coat #1
wait one hour
15 minutes to spray coat #2
wait one hour
15 minutes to spray coat #3

Lwing

Looks good, just started reading your original build again, amazing how many guys in all there wisdom said don't, won't, ect, as they held there noses in the air, wood? What where you thinking lol. This is probably one of my favourite builds ever, wonder if there composite campers ever left the pavement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles