2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Ok, maybe i am missing something here... I'm admittedly not all that savy with this bag stuff other than very simple installs. I have run them on 4 different trucks using just a simple valve i used to fill mounted close to my tires.

If theres a better way i am all ears, but i must be missing something.

I have the ARB dual compressor, use it for tires, tools, blowing stuff off, etc...

If i am understanding the firestone setup you guys are talking about, its an entire separate compressor right? So you have 2 different compressors in your trucks?

I cant see how i could get it to work with the ARB without some complicated BS, which is what i am trying to avoid.

Am i missing something?

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Also, every single diagram and instruction i can find on the firestone kit, ties both side bags together.

That has all sorts of negative effects. I want each side separate.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
No need for two compressors, provided you have enough compressor and set it up correctly.

I have a single compressor and tank, that is plumbed to the in-cab controls for the bags, but also has quick connect ports for tire inflation.

For in cab controls I have a switch for the compressor, and gauge for the tank.
Also in cab is controls for each bag, as well as a twin tank gauge.

Each bag is on its own line, and is separate from the other. I have a simple load leveler bag setup, just one bag per side.

From left to right on dash pod....
Bag PSI gauge (twin, two needles), Tank PSI gauge, and aux fuel tank gauge

39755390893_68a4447eb3_b.jpg

In dash controls for bags, left to right..
Left bag switch, Compressor switch, right bag switch

31778924037_720b987e13_b.jpg

And a peek under the passenger side running board shows you the frame mounted compressor and tank.
A 100% duty cycle Viar with remote intake, 3 gallon tank, pressure switch, etc, etc...

47209779462_f106660a84_b.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
That’s a slick setup sir! Well done!

I get most of what you’re saying, but...

ARB pressure switch is 150psi

If I run compressor to fill tires, what’s stopping compressor from pushing 150psi to the bags?

I think I’m missing something that’s probably blatantly obvious ?

java

Expedition Leader
That’s a slick setup sir! Well done!

I get most of what you’re saying, but...

ARB pressure switch is 150psi

If I run compressor to fill tires, what’s stopping compressor from pushing 150psi to the bags?

I think I’m missing something that’s probably blatantly obvious
The switch stops it! I run a similar manual switch as idasho. Tank pressure on the switch inketz, fill bags to desired pressure

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Pressure switch stops the compressor, manual fill sets the bag pressure.

Air goes in, splits between the switches, and they diareubute the air

a3801c4119497c4a3ae2927408f90fe9.jpg
b0446b81fa75f80b76a764830c788400.jpg

I get that and how it works when it’s a single circuit

But if i use my compressor to fills my tires, what’s stopping the air from getting into the bags?

What am I missing here

java

Expedition Leader
I get that and how it works when it’s a single circuit

But if i use my compressor to fills my tires, what’s stopping the air from getting into the bags?

What am I missing here
The fill switch.

Let's you fill the bags to X pressure, and have a tap off the compressor side that is full compressor pressure

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jds2835

I'm getting ready to mount my new 335/80/20 mpt 81 tires. What tire pressure are you running? Also do you know what the green dot on the sidewall indicates?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I'm getting ready to mount my new 335/80/20 mpt 81 tires. What tire pressure are you running? Also do you know what the green dot on the sidewall indicates?

Im still playing around with pressures.

Right now I’m at 55 front and 45 rear but I’m dead empty with zero load.

No Clue on green dot. On other tires, yellow dot Indicates where the valve stem should be lined up

peculierboy

Thanks to the legendary yellow cable loving Mr @java for his patience explaining the in cab controls to my **************.

Got a couple setups i am going to butcher and bastardize to make a slick little control unit

Mounting this cleanly in the new Ram interior with all the curves will be interesting to say the least

#sendit

View attachment 593656
You will like the control system in your cab, much easier. I have a single gauge/dual display for my air bags in my 4500. I also have the ARB Twin compressor to run it, and have air connections on each side of my flatbed for tires/tools.

Love your build, can't wait to see it completed.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
You will like the control system in your cab, much easier. I have a single gauge/dual display for my air bags in my 4500. I also have the ARB Twin compressor to run it, and have air connections on each side of my flatbed for tires/tools.

Love your build, can't wait to see it completed.

Thanks! Any pics or more info on your setup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles