E-bikes?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What is a "serious cyclist" exactly? I am a member of several e-bike groups in Northern California that organize rides. Some of our members ride unassisted bikes competitively, and they are pretty serious. They ride e-bikes because it's more fun powering up hills and getting multiple laps.

Commercially available Class I e-bikes are not mopeds and are not classified as such legally.
Ebikes definitely have a place next to standard bikes. My 75yr old parents who ride 10 miles nearly every day on their get this normal bikes, are eyeing ebikes as a way to continue riding bikes keeping up with grand kids well into their 80’s +. Several close older friends who do lots of extended RV trips have dumped their Toads and now use EBikes on many of their trips instead. One elder couple rode over 180 miles during a 4 day stay in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP last yr. They ran into two other older couples doing the same thing and all three couples ended up going pretty much everywhere on two wheels together.

No they aren’t mopeds far from it. They are bikes that are making it easier for people to ride up climbs that would otherwise cancel the ride, and/or longer distances that would put them in a car instead of peddling a bike.

The hard core riders like them too. More single track trips down hill due to easier climbing.

MTVR

Lol I see old codgers getting their axle wrapped up over words and not understanding how an Ebike works. They are definitely not mopeds. Hint they don’t actually go unless you pedal. A electric scooter or skate board is more Moped than an Ebike. Why? Those actually go on their own with no physical input from the user.

Mopeds are not defined by whether they "go on their own" or not.

Electric scooters are not mopeds, as they lack pedals. And skateboards are not mopeds, as they have no motor, no pedals, and because skateboards have more than three wheels...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Taking advantage of our covid down time to make some changes to our rig including the purchase of an Ebike to facilitate getting around easier without having to drive our house. We opted for a quality machine that had a capable payload for riding two up with supplies. My question for the group and those of you who travel off grid in particular is, has anyone come up with an effective DC to DC charging system that eliminates the losses associated with DC to AC to DC?

Recent double track ride on our Surly Big Easy:

View attachment 586283
I suspect Bike packers are sorting out ways to use the large light folding solar packs to charge ebikes. The only trick is a solar controller that can manage the battery type/voltage type etc. The only downer is that these bikes are typically running at what 32-48volt systems? I’m not sure what voltage those large flat pack folding light weight solar kits can do voltage wise.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Mopeds are not defined by whether they "go on their own" or not.

Electric scooters are not mopeds, as they lack pedals. And skateboards are not mopeds, as they have no motor, no pedals, and because skateboards have more than three wheels...
I get passed by these daily on our local bike path only time the rider touches the ground is when they stop riding. I get passed by Ebikers they stop pedaling they stop moving.

Ever ride a real moped? The one that you pedal to ride? I have. You only pedal it to start the engine then you stop peddling it and you ride it like a “motorbike” hence moped. Ebikes you pedal to go you stop peddling and like a bike you stop and fall over.

F350joe

I suspect Bike packers are sorting out ways to use the large light folding solar packs to charge ebikes. The only trick is a solar controller that can manage the battery type/voltage type etc. The only downer is that these bikes are typically running at what 32-48volt systems? I’m not sure what voltage those large flat pack folding light weight solar kits can do voltage wise.

MTVR

So-called "e-bike" mopeds are not allowed in bicycle races...because they're not bicycles...

skyfree

So-called "e-bike" mopeds are not allowed in bicycle races...because they're not bicycles...

I get it MTVR, you don't like e-bikes. But posting nonsense on an E-bike forum is just trolling. There are plenty of other forums for that. I suggest Pinkbike or mtbr -- especially the trail building and advocacy forum on mtbr: https://forums.mtbr.com/trail-building-advocacy/.

We can debate definitions of words all day but if you don't like 'em, you're not going to change your mind so what's the point? E-bikes are here to stay.

This is supposed to be a place where overlanders interested in E-Bikes can get information. There are some of us here that have a lot of experience with e-bikes and can provide answers to people that are looking for help.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The speed at which ebikes are evolving is crazy.
The prices are already coming down yet frame and component design is becoming really impressive.

MTVR

I get it MTVR, you don't like e-bikes. But posting nonsense on an E-bike forum is just trolling. There are plenty of other forums for that. I suggest Pinkbike or mtbr -- especially the trail building and advocacy forum on mtbr: https://forums.mtbr.com/trail-building-advocacy/.

We can debate definitions of words all day but if you don't like 'em, you're not going to change your mind so what's the point? E-bikes are here to stay.

This is supposed to be a place where overlanders interested in E-Bikes can get information. There are some of us here that have a lot of experience with e-bikes and can provide answers to people that are looking for help.

I get it, sky free- you feel it's more "woke" to refer to battery-powered mopeds as "e-bikes". Heck, if Apple made an "i-bike", you'd probably have a "crisis". But posting nonsense on an expedition forum is just trolling. There are plenty of other forums for that. I suggest 4/chan.

We can debate definitions of words all day but if you don't like 'em, you're not going to change our minds so what's the point? Mopeds are here to stay.

This is supposed to be a place where overlanders interested in mopeds can get information. There are some members here that have a lot of experience with mopeds and can provide answers to people that are looking for help.

Last edited:

MTVR

The speed at which ebikes are evolving is crazy.
The prices are already coming down yet frame and component design is becoming really impressive.

Great news, for countless DUI offenders, who have been told that e-mopeds don't require the driver's license suspended by the state...

al_burpe

Observer
I get passed by these daily on our local bike path only time the rider touches the ground is when they stop riding. I get passed by Ebikers they stop pedaling they stop moving.

Ever ride a real moped? The one that you pedal to ride? I have. You only pedal it to start the engine then you stop peddling it and you ride it like a “motorbike” hence moped. Ebikes you pedal to go you stop peddling and like a bike you stop and fall over.
It really depends on the ebike. I have a class 2 ebike, and it has a throttle where I don't have to pedal to move. Class 1 ebikes don't have a throttle and require pedaling. I find the throttle comes in handy at times when I need to roll forward and still keep my feet down.

MTVR

It really depends on the ebike. I have a class 2 ebike, and it has a throttle where I don't have to pedal to move. Class 1 ebikes don't have a throttle and require pedaling. I find the throttle comes in handy at times when I need to roll forward and still keep my feet down.

Like I said, great news for countless DUI offenders, who have been told that e-mopeds don't require the driver's license suspended by the state...

al_burpe

Observer
Like I said, great news for countless DUI offenders, who have been told that e-mopeds don't require the driver's license suspended by the state...
It is great news for everyone who wants an alternative form of cheap transportation. I have no idea what DUI offenders have to do with this discussion. I use my for commuting to and from work daily.

billiebob

It is great news for everyone who wants an alternative form of cheap transportation. I have no idea what DUI offenders have to do with this discussion. I use my for commuting to and from work daily.
yep, you can get a DUI on a regular bicycle or a row boat too, the lack of a motor has nothing to do with the charge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz