Toyo at3 or Cooper at3 XLT?

Jshields

I'm looking at the Toyo Open Country AT3 or Cooper AT3 XLT for my next tire. I've read good things about the Coopers but not much about the Toyo's. What's everyone's experience with either one. Ita a daily driver 3rd gen Tacoma 4x4 so I'm really interested in the snow performance in the winter.

bkg

Explorer
Had a set on my 06 tundra and my wife's 15 4Runner... LR C and P, I believe, of the Coopers.

They got loud quick. That's about the only major complaint.

Her 4Runner now has Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's... Been extremely happy with them. So much so, that I put 295's on my F350.

Falkens and General's are now my go-to.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My neighbor's been running Coops for three sets now. 285-75-16's He's had great luck aside from balancing. He's had to take them back to Discount several times. Probably operator error.
I'm a Toyo guy and the factory is backordered due to the CCP virus. BFGoodrich also.
I wouldn't hesitate to get Coopers.

Jshields

I had open countries years ago. The original. Theres just a $20 difference between the Discovery AT3 xlt and open country AT3 at my dealer. Plus he said he can get either next day. I've read that the XLT is a great tire but I kind like the tread better on the Toyo plus its 3 peak rated (not that that means alot anymore lol).

Jshields

Had a set on my 06 tundra and my wife's 15 4Runner... LR C and P, I believe, of the Coopers.

They got loud quick. That's about the only major complaint.

Her 4Runner now has Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's... Been extremely happy with them. So much so, that I put 295's on my F350.

Falkens and General's are now my go-to.
What Generals are you running. Also thought about the Grabber ATX

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had several sets of Toyo AT2's and for sure would jump on the AT3's. I have had 285/75-17 in E in the AT2's and they road very smooth. I would also look at the Cooper ST/Maxx I have had those in 285/75-17 as well and they are great tires. these have all been on a Wrangler 4 door. I will say I also run Falken at3w in 255/80-17 which are about the same height as the 285/75-17 but a lot lighter and incredible in the winter.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
I'm going to 285/75r17 so it looks like E load.
Toyo list both C and E on their website. I like E but some people don't. I've had other Cooper tires and they never stood out to me. AT2 and discover ST. They did the job. I had multiple warranty issues that they always covered. I am between the Toyo AT3 and Falken AT3. I'll probably go cheap and get the Falkens. The current set are have been great.

Jshields

Toyo list both C and E on their website. I like E but some people don't. I've had other Cooper tires and they never stood out to me. AT2 and discover ST. They did the job. I had multiple warranty issues that they always covered. I am between the Toyo AT3 and Falken AT3. I'll probably go cheap and get the Falkens. The current set are have been great.
Sorry, I ment 285/75r16. I had Falkens on my 4Runner and they where great. I just want something different and also no shops around me can get Falkens as quick as they can get Toyo, Cooper or General. Generals ATX are the cheapest and I've not heard any complaints about them so might give them or the Toyo AT3 a shot.
I really like the 3 peak rating for piece of mind.

Jshields

4Runner has AT2's (285/75-16) and the Tacoma has ATX's. I really like the AT2... No complaints at all about the ATX.
Good to know. I can get 285/75r16 ATX for $790 out the door mounted and balanced. Hard to beat that price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles