Tuning a fuso any experience with https://www.schaknat.de/

cameronsturgess

Hi fellow fuso owners.
I am trying to add more power and torque to our 2010 fuso. Assuming it works I have two friends with 2012 and 2017 fusos that would also like more.

We started by trying steinbauer modules but after a couple of months working with them directly we still can’t seem to go more than an hour before the module causes engine codes. So we are considering https://www.schaknat.de/

Has anyone else worked with these folks ? Would love to hear your feedback please :)

rocksaltfg84

Hi fellow fuso owners.
I am trying to add more power and torque to our 2010 fuso. Assuming it works I have two friends with 2012 and 2017 fusos that would also like more.

We started by trying steinbauer modules but after a couple of months working with them directly we still can’t seem to go more than an hour before the module causes engine codes. So we are considering https://www.schaknat.de/

Has anyone else worked with these folks ? Would love to hear your feedback please :)
Hi we have an FG84 Fuso 2010 4.9 litre ,we fitted a Steinbauer march 2016 have travelled over 80K with it fitted and just love it it works a treat . We are motor home configeration full size @ 6800kgs. we average 20 litres per 100klm. on road travel the worst we have used so far is 26 litres per 100klm in 4x4 low range in the desert sand dunes etc. We have just fitted a three inch full flow exhaust after the standard exhaust brake . it has made a slight difference, mainly to get the heat from the original muffler away quicker not to radiate up to our water tanks. 80% of our driving is on gravel roads less traveled.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I do not know of anyone here that has used that company.
As mentioned previously, the Australian version of the Steinbauer module works without issue on the FG84. I can only assume that the ECU in the US model is slightly different, or that the Steinbauer unit you have is different from what we have in Australia.
As I also mentioned, @westyss has an Australian version of the Steinbauer on his 2010 FG140, and he does not have any code issues with it.
Very weird.

cameronsturgess

I do not know of anyone here that has used that company.
As mentioned previously, the Australian version of the Steinbauer module works without issue on the FG84. I can only assume that the ECU in the US model is slightly different, or that the Steinbauer unit you have is different from what we have in Australia.
As I also mentioned, @westyss has an Australian version of the Steinbauer on his 2010 FG140, and he does not have any code issues with it.
Very weird.
Yes it’s very weird.

2010 threw 3 codes. After some tuning by steinbauer they got it down to one code and it takes an hour to throw it. But still won’t work reliably.

2017 threw 6 codes which got worse and worse eventually disabling engine totally.

Thus looking for different solution

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
ECU remaps are pretty common place here now, with a multitude of companies able to modify the Fuso ECU settings.
Is that an option where you are? i am thinking maybe not, given the popularity of the FG not being anywhere near what it is in Australia.

cameronsturgess

ECU remaps are pretty common place here now, with a multitude of companies able to modify the Fuso ECU settings.
Is that an option where you are? i am thinking maybe not, given the popularity of the FG not being anywhere near what it is in Australia.
I can't find anyone local. I have been talking to Markus from Schaknat, he seems like a great guy with a good solution. He can do remote ECU updates which appears to be the only way to go here in North America. I just wondered if anyone had used his services.

cameronsturgess

Markus tuned the first truck today and it worked perfectly :). More power and torque is just what the truck needs. Markus is also very well versed on the Fuso transmissions and only adds the power and torque that the transmission can handle. The result is a manual transmission can handle more than the automatic. That being said the power / torque improvements are noticeable with the automatic transmission in the 2017. If anyone else wants a tune I would highly recommend Markus :). Cameron

cameronsturgess

we successfully tuned a 2017, 2013 and 2010 FG140. In call cases HP and Torque were improved. more so on the 2010 as it has a manual transmission. in all trucks we left the DPF system intact. The 2017 was correct on first remap, 2013 took some diagnosing and a few tries to get it right, the 2010 was remapped a couple of times in the course of a morning. All in all it takes Markus a couple of hours to do the remapping, maybe some fine tuning to the remap if you have any engine codes. while it seems like a daunting process at first it is remarkably easy after the third truck.. at least easy for me.. Markus does all the hard work.

the process is to remove the ECU and send Markus pictures of it as well as the serial numbers. he then confirms that the cabling is correct. the ECU cables are the same for 2013-2017 but different for the 2010. The ECU is connected to a black box, the black box connected to a tough book. Connect the tough book to the internet (only challenge here is tough book runs in German so have google translate ready). start team viewer and let Markus take over. Power up the black box with 12V and then Markus does his thing. He reads the mapping on the current ECU and uses this as the basis for the remap. In a couple of hours he rings back with the remap. power the black box and Markus loads the new map. power down black box and reinstall ECU.

its good to have a test hill you know your truck barely struggles to keep speed on. this is a good basis for the testing the additional power/torque. in all cases the truck went from just holding speed or losing speed slowly on the hill to accelerating up the hill. before the 2013 and 2010 which are running 37 inch tires were challenged to maintain highway speeds if there was any hill or headwind. now they can keep highway speeds. the 2017 did the best in a drag race (likely because it has 35s not 37inch tires). trucks use 1-2 liters less fuel per 100km.

hope this experience helps others... it is such a different truck to drive with 100 lbft more torque.

cameronsturgess

Lance. Yes he is an awesome guy. Given the calls and messages I’ve gotten from other self builder and earth cruiser owners this is an area of interest. I do think sharing information helps all of us.

sumnrfam

we successfully tuned a 2017, 2013 and 2010 FG140. In call cases HP and Torque were improved. more so on the 2010 as it has a manual transmission. in all trucks we left the DPF system intact. The 2017 was correct on first remap, 2013 took some diagnosing and a few tries to get it right, the 2010 was remapped a couple of times in the course of a morning. All in all it takes Markus a couple of hours to do the remapping, maybe some fine tuning to the remap if you have any engine codes. while it seems like a daunting process at first it is remarkably easy after the third truck.. at least easy for me.. Markus does all the hard work.

the process is to remove the ECU and send Markus pictures of it as well as the serial numbers. he then confirms that the cabling is correct. the ECU cables are the same for 2013-2017 but different for the 2010. The ECU is connected to a black box, the black box connected to a tough book. Connect the tough book to the internet (only challenge here is tough book runs in German so have google translate ready). start team viewer and let Markus take over. Power up the black box with 12V and then Markus does his thing. He reads the mapping on the current ECU and uses this as the basis for the remap. In a couple of hours he rings back with the remap. power the black box and Markus loads the new map. power down black box and reinstall ECU.

its good to have a test hill you know your truck barely struggles to keep speed on. this is a good basis for the testing the additional power/torque. in all cases the truck went from just holding speed or losing speed slowly on the hill to accelerating up the hill. before the 2013 and 2010 which are running 37 inch tires were challenged to maintain highway speeds if there was any hill or headwind. now they can keep highway speeds. the 2017 did the best in a drag race (likely because it has 35s not 37inch tires). trucks use 1-2 liters less fuel per 100km.

hope this experience helps others... it is such a different truck to drive with 100 lbft more torque.

@cameronsturgess ,, do you know the axle ratios of the 2013 and 2017's ?, Thanks,

Greenbarn

Just thought I would add my experiance. I had the option to have the ECU remapped locally but was more comfortable working with someone who had Fuso experience. Cameron connected me with Markus and it was a very good experience. I am extremely happy with the results. It threw a code on our first trip and Markus did an update following weekend. Highly recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles