Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

McDowra

Observer
Thanks for that! (For future readers: here's the link Apr 5, 2020). That looks like a much better option. I'm not able to weld but I can certainly find someone to do it for me. Does this spacing leave enough room for the rtt?
Not sure we got rid of our RTT and got a oz tent. I think it might get in the way of the awning of the window but that would be all. I bought the tubing from mcmaster carr (2 4 foot sticks) cut it myself had a fab shop weld it up for me($20.00) and painted it with can bedliner spray.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Installed the ovs Nordic 4 tent as well the 270 awning. Really blown away by the awning it’s so quick to setup and put away and the quality is excellent. I’ve gotta redo the awning mount it doesn’t look that great to me.

1b73f03468bf2800caf76ff39058e1a6.jpg

205318bc65f537754082a6f3ae24f843.jpg

362725162fbe0227b6191f6eac6f3e54.jpg

300f777b05734f09024e41fbb12ac33c.jpg

5de04f53a5a8669f53b45d9edf2d02c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kraxler

I have 29 gallon of water mounted in three tanks on the bottom of the trailer. The 9 gallon tank is mounted between the suspension swing arms. Each of he 10 gallon tank is mounted below the front side compartments. I mounted the on demand water pump above he driver side swing arm. Ran a hose through the center floor, up the inside divider then into the stove compartment to a pot filler faucet. Still planning to add a instant water hea
Looking for a idea for a water tank, where is everyone mounting them?

McDowra

Observer
I have 29 gallon of water mounted in three tanks on the bottom of the trailer. The 9 gallon tank is mounted between the suspension swing arms. Each of he 10 gallon tank is mounted below the front side compartments. I mounted the on demand water pump above he driver side swing arm. Ran a hose through the center floor, up the inside divider then into the stove compartment to a pot filler faucet. Still planning to add a instant water hea
Could I get some pictures and parts info?

Kraxler

Could I get some pictures and parts info?
Here are some photos.
the white tanks from Amazon: RecPro RV Water Tank | Gray Water Tank | RV Fresh Water Tank | Camper | Trailer (10 Gallon)
And the black: Valterra R8018 8" x 16" x 18" ABS Water Tank

ECA4FDCA-E611-4D68-87A5-4F93D8FB5ACC.jpegECA4FDCA-E611-4D68-87A5-4F93D8FB5ACC.jpegEB62FD74-FA00-4567-B9B4-7A3F080AF3B0.jpegB594171F-5466-4475-A934-9AA69E9DCDEA.jpeg9DCF9A11-A393-4A59-A1A2-DA38A04601B2.jpeg

trae

Adventurer
Inaugural trip with the smittybilt, outside of whistler BC. The trailer, tent and awning performed flawlessly. I'd like to add a house battery and a water trank. Under investigation.

1592092133014.png

1592092175823.png

I've yet to figure out how to attach the awning cleanly. I'd like to bring the awning closer to the body but then it'd interfere with the tent poles:

1592092280321.png

We ran into some tree planters in the back country and they let us sit in their chopper:

1592092351381.png

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Inaugural trip with the smittybilt, outside of whistler BC. The trailer, tent and awning performed flawlessly. I'd like to add a house battery and a water trank. Under investigation.

View attachment 592055

View attachment 592056

I've yet to figure out how to attach the awning cleanly. I'd like to bring the awning closer to the body but then it'd interfere with the tent poles:

View attachment 592057

We ran into some tree planters in the back country and they let us sit in their chopper:

View attachment 592058

I solved the awning issue several threads back by making a couple of aluminum blocks.
You can dig it up in this thread or watch the Smitty walkaround vids on my youtube channel.
That would give you an idea how to skin it.
Welcome and glad the first trip was a great one.
Many more to come.

Pau Hana

So here is some pertinent information for those who have made a recent Scout purchase from Smittybilt or Smittybilt dealer. I'm going to make a short story long because I need to vent. :rolleyes:

I purchased a new Scout a couple months back and have been getting it kitted out while I waited for the DMV offices here in California to reopen. Finally a few offices reopened but figuring out the correct paperwork to bring and hopefully get the trailer registered without an appointment was a nightmare. So, I printed and filled out a bunch of forms from the DMV website and waited in line to see if they were correct. I had the correct paperwork and the DMV agent told me to bring the trailer in for inspection.

Got up at 6am the next day drove to the office and was first in line. It took about half an hour to get seen for inspection. Everything was going smooth until the agent asked for the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO) and I glanced at the VIN on the trailer. After writing the MCO VIN on the DMV paperwork numerous times I immediately saw that the trailer VIN and the MCO VIN didn't match. Obviously, the DMV stopped the process there and said I would have to contact Smittybilt for a replacement matching MCO.

Sooo...contacted Smittybilt and was told that tis was an known issue with recent trailers they had received (mine was built 10/19 and picked up mid-April). The said that it would take 7-10 days to get the new MCO due to their staff working from home. Disappointed, yes, angry, no. I'm pretty mellow so I tend to go with the "is what it is". All I wanted was to get the new MCO by Friday so I could tow the trailer to work and get it registered first thing tomorrow morning.

Checked the mail Friday and yay! The new MCO had arrived! Boo!!!! It was wrong!! Again! Off by one letter!

So, if you have purchased a new Scout recently, check the MCO and trailer VIN plate to see if they match. Seeing how this process is going I would recommend getting in contact with Smittybilt sooner than later. Especially if you had planned trips as out family had.

I can deal with the little inconveniences in life but I fail to see why Smittybilt didn't notify buyers or dealers of a known issue with the MCO and VIN's not matching. It would have been easy for them to say, "hey please check to see if the MCO matches the VIN plate".

I plan to contact Smittybilt again first thing Monday morning to see if they can make this right by overnighting a MCO so I can get it registered by Thursday. We had a 10 day trip planned and were going to leave Friday morning.

I won't hold my breath.

Hope this helps someone else. (y)

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I have seen more issues with the state of California registering this trailer.
I did not have a vin.
Back 4 years ago..... Colorado State inspection issued me one.
Same day i was rocking. Just keep working at it.
It will be all worth it.

Pau Hana

I have seen more issues with the state of California registering this trailer.
I did not have a vin.
Back 4 years ago..... Colorado State inspection issued me one.
Same day i was rocking. Just keep working at it.
It will be all worth it.

I'd agree that the CA DMV needs an overhaul but this is a Smittybilt issue. If the trailer didn't have the VIN plate then they would have issued me one. I'v built two trailers and have had no issues getting a VIN issued by the DMV.

I realize that most of my frustration stems from my excitement to get it on the trail. (y)

Thanks for the encouragement. The bright side is that I have been able to use the time to add electrical, complete the rear swing out tire carrier and bumper, and rework the rear stabilizer mounts. So...all in all...glass half full.

trae

Adventurer
I solved the awning issue several threads back by making a couple of aluminum blocks.
You can dig it up in this thread or watch the Smitty walkaround vids on my youtube channel.
That would give you an idea how to skin it.
Welcome and glad the first trip was a great one.
Many more to come.

Found your solutio (here: Nov 24, 2019 ). Did you have to adjust the length of the tension poles? It looks like your tent may be in line with the awning, my awning is offset a bit higher. Thanks for the ideas.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I'd agree that the CA DMV needs an overhaul but this is a Smittybilt issue. If the trailer didn't have the VIN plate then they would have issued me one. I'v built two trailers and have had no issues getting a VIN issued by the DMV.

I realize that most of my frustration stems from my excitement to get it on the trail. (y)

Thanks for the encouragement. The bright side is that I have been able to use the time to add electrical, complete the rear swing out tire carrier and bumper, and rework the rear stabilizer mounts. So...all in all...glass half full.

Yeah..... Smitty have been hot and cold with their customer service. They have always been great with me, but there are several members who have had a hard time. Hopefully they get it sorted for ya shortly. How did the rear swing build go for you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles