New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

umbertob

Adventurer
Anyway here’s the new Defender on 33’s with 18” Hutchinson’s. View attachment 590633View attachment 590634

Do you know if those 18s are fitted on a P400 with the big(ger) brakes? That would be good news, since nothing smaller than 19" fits from the factory on that trim, you need to order the smaller engine to get 18" wheels. I kinda like the way those in the photo look, too. Sorry for the non raging non hating question.

Carson G

Do you know if those 18s are fitted on a P400 with the big(ger) brakes? That would be good news, since nothing smaller than 19" fits from the factory on that trim, you need to order the smaller engine to get 18" wheels. I kinda like the way those in the photo look, too. Sorry for the non raging non hating question.
That’s a D240 IIRC I think it has the smaller brakes.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
So using the wheels and tires for scale, 16.5" rocker clearance?

My truck has 28" clearance there, and 18" under the trans crossmember, which is the lowest point between the wheelbase. And it's barely enough for overlanding here.

Carson G

My truck has 28" clearance there, and 18" under the trans crossmember, which is the lowest point between the wheelbase. And it's barely enough for overlanding here.
Looks similar to the JLU Rubicon which has a worse break over angle but the same diameter tires.

Nop..
It just a result of being out there for 30+ years of agriculture and off road in many vehicles and machinery.
You should try it, it expand your mind and confidence when things go wrong.
Grew up on a farm, 25 years military around the globe, engineer in Aerospace, predominately in EMS, LE, and Fire back country helicopters industry; pretty sure I have "innovation, expansive mind, and confidence in my ability. What was that part about open mind you keep coming back to about how the Defender is junk no matter what compared to all of the last 20 or so pages of BS you published; is that open minded?

Loosen up, the parts Rover-in-tow comment was a joke.

Just like the universal Land Rover magnetic rear bumper that I'm designing for you guys -- it will catch and retain parts that fall off so that they're not left behind.

Is that an aluminum magnet bumper; we are LR and use premium alloys only so not sure it will work or be needed; haven't seen a JLR recall on driveline in decades. The steel one should work great for Jeeps to pick up the various driveline components though.

Is that from the vehicles on your signature; F250 and Ram 2500 I think it said? Your wheelbase is far greater so rocker clearance has a much greater impact in more ways than one compared to any short wheelbase vehicle; ramp or break-over is measured with 4 points on level ground. Not sure if those are the reference for the "truck" you mentioned or not but that is an initial response without knowing the reference. Careful what you say though about trucks and overlanding, @EricTyrrell says the F150 is the most practical vehicle which I would agree with for full size truck use on the construction, home-use, and commercial threads; not sure how he ended up here in the overland section. I personally think you should drive whatever you want and respect the same of others but hey, that's just me and a few couple million other people's point of view.

Wasn't able to find anything on F250/Ram2500 as I am sure they change a ton with the different cab sizes; have the Silverado trail version published though and some decent numbers for trucks these days depending on version. Did find some pretty good comparisons on JLR, Jeep, and G-Wagon, and Prado for reference. Interestingly enough the modern FJ Cruiser had some of the best specs all around for off-roading..............DISCONTINUED.

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.30.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.32.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.28.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.34.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.39.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.45.41 PM.png

Last edited:

Blaise

Where in the hell do you live?!?!? Perhaps a unimog would be better. So... go get one of those.

Blaise

I just hope all the people who aren't buying a Grenadier or Bronco spend their time trolling those boards!

...not really..

JeepColorado

Anyway here’s the new Defender on 33’s with 18” Hutchinson’s. View attachment 590633View attachment 590634

These proportions looks good- too bad LR didn't care enough about off-road to make this the normal operating height from the factory- kind of shows you what could have been- maybe their special vehicle team will do something meaningful. I wonder what these tires will look like in normal ride height- probably a little "stuffed" looking I'd imagine. That front end is still terrible.

Carson G

These proportions looks good- too bad LR didn't care enough about off-road to make this the normal operating height from the factory- kind of shows you what could have been- maybe their special vehicle team will do something meaningful. I wonder what these tires will look like in normal ride height- probably a little "stuffed" looking I'd imagine. That front end is still terrible.
From what I heard 33’s fit perfectly fine dead stock at normal ride height. It’s only a half inch bigger in diameter than stock.

The front end isn’t that bad in person a little plain but not bad. The factory bull bar makes it look a lot better IMO. E26E9568-8D8B-416E-8FE6-2F85C3ACA626.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camshaft700