Trade F-150 for Tundra - Overland

A Guy

Hi guys,

My Girlfriend and I have been doing a lot of off-road camping in my stock F-150. We’d like to open up more trail options with a lift, tires, armor, etc. Our goal is to build an overland rig that can take us anywhere.

After owning and Tacoma, I am set on building a full-size rig as the Mid-size truck interiors are too small for me (I’m 6’ 3”).

After research, I’ve found significant more aftermarket part support for Tundra than my F-150. Additionally, the Tundra appears to be a better base platform for off-roading (approach/departure angles, reliability, etc.)

Am I right in assuming the Tundra will be a better overland build platform than my F-150? I don’t want to make it through the trade process and find out otherwise.

If you were in my position, what would you choose and why?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nope. It's the same truck. There's very little difference between the two. I'd lean towards the F150, because the Tundra is a bit old fashioned at this point.

Ford's have plenty of aftermarket support, just add the word ''Raptor'' to your search. Full underbody skidplates available. Suspension from BDS and Fox. Bumpers from Warn. Lockers, whatever. Were you looking for Ford parts from companies specializing in Toyota's?

If you want to try something new, consider an F250.

D

Deleted member 9101

What year is your F150?

There is no shortage of aftermarket parts for the F150, there are countless companies that make damn neat everything imaginable for them.

Mccool

Observer
No, you're not correct. the F-150 offers an electronic rear locker on most 4x4's, the tundra doesn't offer one at all which means out of the box the Ford is better offroad. Plus the tundras gas mileage is laughable. I love Toyota, but the tundra is WAY past needing a full update.

A Guy

Thanks for the responses guys. My F-150 is a 2017. Am F-250 seems like it’s be a stiff ride off road with its heavy springs. Also, i think the longer length would be a hinderance on tight trails. I may just build my F-150 up.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I wonder why you see so many more overland Tundras if F-150’s are better platforms?
Toyota did a fantastic job as marketing themselves as the go to adventure/outdoors/exploring vehicle. I think the taco and the tundra need a re power and the tundra needs to have a legit update in general...

If you can swing an F250 definitely do that because they're just plain sexy and you get a solid front axle. If not, just build your f150- What are the specs on your f150? Engine, axle, etc.

You will have a harder time finding small overland companies dedicated to the F150 like Demelllo off road is dedicated to only Toyotas but the aftermarket support is 100% there. Like stated above, just include raptor and everything should generally swap over.

ITTOG

I wonder why you see so many more overland Tundras if F-150’s are better platforms?

I would guess the biggest reason is reliability.

I have an 07 Tundra and 18 F150. After having both I would definitely get the Tundra. The only reason I didn't get another Tundra is because as several have mentioned the Tundra is in long need of an upgrade. With that said, if you don't ever tow and don't mind less reliability then go with the F150. If you want more info, go to https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...6-x-12-trailer-conversion.199414/post-2780343 to see where jnich77 and I were discussing the two. I don't recall discussing reliability in that thread so my quick comments on the two is the Tundra has had one recall and one failure, idler arm. The F150 has had, I believe four recalls now, a failure, and three or four issues that Ford hasn't been able to resolve yet. As far as I am concerned the F150 is a lemon. But, with that said, the creature comforts on the F150 are far superior to the Tundra and that is why I still own it.

D

Deleted member 9101

Wish someone would get a Tremor and mod it, so that I won't have to put Raptor running boards on my 250.

Ebay has a set under $300. My card is in a pretty big block of ice though.........

Same!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles