02 gen3 AC issues.

lilkia

My gen3 monty shredded a timing belt this winter and I had to have a shop do the work. It doesnt get run much right now with the move and new baby so I didnt notice till now that the AC isnt working. Apparently the defrost uses it is as well because when you turn it to defrost the AC light blinks. I checked the freon thinking the removed something and didnt recharge it and its good. I also checked the fuses (with a multimeter) and theyre good. So Im guessing either something didnt get plugged back in or they broke a wire. Any thoughts on where to start looking or is there something else I need to consider?

lilkia

No. Thats why Im guessing something didnt get reconnected or broke. I just dont know where to start looking.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Look for a pressure sensor on the a/c system. Compressor won’t engage if system isn’t getting a good signal from that sensor. Does your Montero have a manual cooling system or electronic? How did you check refrigerant pressure? You can have some in there but if it isn’t the right amount that pressure sensor will prevent the system from starting, at least that’s how it has been in other cars I’ve worked on in the past.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
FSM has a section for AC troubleshooting if I remember correctly. Should have wiring diagram and expected Voltage/Resistance tests for the components. Grab one from my link if you don't have a copy already.

lilkia

Look for a pressure sensor on the a/c system. Compressor won’t engage if system isn’t getting a good signal from that sensor. Does your Montero have a manual cooling system or electronic? How did you check refrigerant pressure? You can have some in there but if it isn’t the right amount that pressure sensor will prevent the system from starting, at least that’s how it has been in other cars I’ve worked on in the past.

I checked it with a guage on the low pressure side. Of course the compressor didnt kick on so Im not sure. My concern with that was if they had depressurized the system when working on it.

FSM has a section for AC troubleshooting if I remember correctly. Should have wiring diagram and expected Voltage/Resistance tests for the components. Grab one from my link if you don't have a copy already.

Thank you I will.

take it back to the shop that screwed it up.

It was in december I doubt they will do anything about it. I will give them a call and ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier