K5 Camper. My offroad home away from home.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Paint is complete on the bumper. I went ahead and cleaned up the entire face of the bumper where it had been chipped up from use. I also took the time to shoot the back of the body under the camper that could still be seen. Just to clean it up and make it blend in better.

49907185676_41eb9f27b4_b.jpg

49906670463_d604263b85_b.jpg

49907184831_08e0ce719d_b.jpg

Tape pulled.
49907184711_a7a5c1fa51_b.jpg

49907184041_7d7617e40e_b.jpg

I also finally patched the two holes I punched in the side on Blanca Peak last fall.
49907485332_29674e6323_b.jpg

This hole actually went all the way through to the inside. Stupid Juniper trees..
49906668738_b477fde509_b.jpg

49907182596_924c1fc23a_b.jpg

I'll pack the truck up at the end of the week for the overnighter.

Oilbrnr

It's kinda unfortunate that the outsides of our FWC are so off-road unfriendly. Like a fragile eggshell. :) Looks good Rob.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
i know it's a pain to double post but i bet the guys here would like to see that when it happens!
Unless I do something really stupid this summer that forces the reskin, it's planned later. I'm known to do something stupid so anything is possible. Tight mountain Jeep trails are not nice to any foolsize trucks, much less one with a house on the back.

Plan so far is use it this summer, swap the 8.1/4500 in the winter. Depending on budget and time then reskin and new canvas. The repowering is priority 1 for upgrades for sure.

pigsammy

The bumper looks great. Nice touch with dimple die plate.
Will it need any sort of grip tape, etc or will the dimples give enough purchase to avoid slipping?

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
The bumper looks great. Nice touch with dimple die plate.
Will it need any sort of grip tape, etc or will the dimples give enough purchase to avoid slipping?
If I put grip tape anywhere on that it would be the edge of the bumper itself.

I purposely had the dimples punched down. Many punch them up for added traction, but I didn't want that. It's not uncommon for me when loading or unloading the truck to kneel on the bumper with my knee and reach in vs crawling all the way in. Still, getting in with the top down kind of requires one to crawl in the same way. Only way to go in or out somewhat standing is with the top up. Dimples up would tear my knees up.

I'm tossing around the idea for grip tape. I'm going to give it a try this weekend without it. It's going to better to have a larger landing pad for my knees or foot than the 2" wide top of the bumper alone.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I had a good test run. Blitzed out of the shop right on time. Made good time on the ride up. Thankfully Storm didn't barf on the console on the ride up like she did last time on the way up to the same trail last year. Part of the run was to test out the radios as John and Shane each upgraded to GMRS units too. They knew when I was expected to get up there. So I had the radio on while I was still on the highway. I was probably 2 miles from the turn off the highway to the trail when I got the first contact from Shane. I took note of the mileage and figured it took me 12 miles from the first point of contact to the campsite where they were. While 12 miles on a GMRS unit isn't bad, when you factor in the terrain and elevation difference it's pretty amazing. We all were pretty impressed. It wasn't perfect and depending on where I was at on the trail below them I had some contact and not. Not any surprise there since GMRS line of sight and we were not on a repeater channel. But as I climbed in elevation the quality of the signal was much better than CB ever could be. I'm a believer.

Getting off the radio kick, I aired down at the trailhead and rallied up the trail solo making decent time. Being memorial day weekend I did hit some trail traffic, but it wasn't bad since most that were up there were already set up in campsites. I've actually never seen so many up there before. But I knew as the trail gains in elevation it gets steeper and rougher than the lower sections. I was right there weren't many up above. I didn't take any video since my wife relocated my GoPro's in a cleaning frenzy. Cell coverage was decent on the lower part of the trail so I turned on IG and went live for a while until the cell coverage was lost.

Climbing up through one of the sections of the trail that goes through a previously burned area from a fire a few years back.
49934979777_acfd43bee2_b.jpg

Five minutes within arriving at the campsite the truck barfed the gear out and the top popped up.
49934662576_428d88264e_b.jpg

Hanging out.
49934662326_641ffc832f_b.jpg

It was also the maiden trail ride for John's son Gino's new ride a 2019 ZR2 Colorado. It's a gasser which will prove to be less problematic over the 4 banger dirtymax version. It did great on the trail, but he needs to get the AEV skids for underbelly protection. These are great little trucks that we've sold a few of. Very capable out of the box.
49934661546_152f7cd066_b.jpg

I have to say I love being able to camp and sleep off the ground. Having the furnace proved to be awesome because the temps dipped deep in the 30's overnight.
49934660496_d51bd2f3b1_b.jpg

49934145968_58e53bc900_b.jpg

Storm was happy to be cruising around camp checking things out.
49934159938_cefe4964d5_b.jpg

Dinner was simple, John and his wife brought the burgers dogs and brats and I put the campstove into action to grill them up for the group.
49934673381_67f7977fa4_b.jpg

The back of the camper and the bumper proved to be a good serving station too.
49934979012_5c4efdc8d8_b.jpg

The run itself was pretty uneventful. I had actually made it 80% up the trail in 2wd and grabbed 4hi only when the steepness and loose rock required more traction. The drive down was good. Only issue with the truck is the turn signal switch won't stay locked in on right-hand turns. I'll grab a switch at work and swap it in before we go. The camper itself is pretty set and storage dialed in. I'm still amazed at the radios with the range and clarity they have over CB. One of the group had to get out of dodge quick as we aired up since rain was coming and they were in a Jeep with only a bikini top. They were 20 minutes ahead of us on the road and we still could communicate with them like they were within eyesight of us. The upgrade in radios should prove to be great on the desert trip with the group.

Oilbrnr

Good to hear about the radios Rob. I think they will be good, esp. given the number of potential trucks on this upcoming trip. ?

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Good to hear about the radios Rob. I think they will be good, esp. given the number of potential trucks on this upcoming trip. ?
Yeah the radios should make the communication much better. Not sure how many of the latecomers to the party have bumped up to the GMRS radios. I know all of the Colorado crew will be GMRS equipped.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Another successful test run in the books. Larry and Ian got up to the lake early and set up camp off the shore of the lake. Pretty for sure, but it proved to be brutal without shelter from any trees in the wind as we found out last night. I plodded my way up the trail and again was able to make clear contact with the radios with a good distance between us. I was 500ft lower in elevation too. Before I lost cell coverage I checked Larry's spot one last time to get the location of camp also. Larry said he and Ian would get busy finding some rocks to stack to level me up since the site was anything but flat.

But I was able to mostly level it out and get the top popped up and set up in camp mode.
49956611221_b11e9dfbdb_b.jpg

It was spitting rain intermittently so we broke out a tarp I keep stashed for such occasions and tied it between the trucks to make a dry spot to sit and cook in.
49956898227_e0a57d69e2_b.jpg

Ian's sleeping situation leveled up for this season. He scored on a Air Top hard shell roof top tent on Facebook marketplace a couple of months back. He built a rack to keep the load off of the fiberglass top. He said he was warm and dry up there in the weather last night.
49956610386_7060fc3892_b.jpg

Larry went down to the lake in attempt to drown some worms. All he caught was a buzz with a couple of frosty ones he took with him. Ian and I snacked on some venison summer sausage a customer gave me for loaning him a tool. Tasty stuff.
49956610416_156a5f72fb_b.jpg

Due to the wind we relocated to the other side of Larrys truck. We had a litte bit of sun that felt really good out of the wind.
49956893837_81999a78b0_b.jpg

Clouds started moving over the ridgeline and we figured we better get after cooking dinner before the weather really turned on us.
49956610126_92dcc11f08_b.jpg

Ian broke out his hand built skottle and started cooking some burgers while warmed up some ranch beans on the stove.
49956108353_29f313599d_b.jpg

My dog Storm was getting wet so I threw her coat on her, which also saved me from wet dog smell when we finally turned in for the night.
49956893332_60089d7899_b.jpg

Weather still rolling in.
49956893027_e4ec02e5ac_b.jpg

Somebody really wanted a burger too.
49956609141_537ce80573_b.jpg

To give an idea of how the weather went, these shots so the progression. When I got there you could see the peak in the center of the image. It was cloudy, but all the mountains were visable.
49956610671_f968dc01ca_b.jpg

By the time we finished dinner, sat and talked for a while, the rain set in heavy. We all agreed sitting in the rain sucked and called it a night. You can see the peak barely in the pic and the rain and wind were blowing across the lake.
49956107403_3cf007f2f6_b.jpg

By morning the sun was breaking up the clouds but the wind was still being a pain in the ass. We bailed on the idea of making breakfast for some quick snacks and move to a lower elevation.
49956892572_c88911ae12_b.jpg

My trusty co-pilot Storm was ready for the rough ride down the mountain.
49956892367_6cda8c1af7_b.jpg

We plodded our way across the rip-rap rocks to rejoin the trail at the tree line. Keep this in mind last July when I went up here the water level was the fullest I had ever seen it and it would have been all the way to the trees. Meaning where we camped would have been well under water last year.
49956106948_ce15f7c9a6_b.jpg

Near the end of the trail we stopped to check some new noises that had developed on mine and Larry's trucks. Looks like the spring shackle bolt on the left front of mine is kissing the exhaust pipe on that side. I'll address it before we leave.
49956607706_81ab512d69_b.jpg

Due to some excessive washboard sections on the dirt road leading in we saved the air up chore for as close to the highway as we could get.
49956105968_8ccd9b7acb_b.jpg

Ian's CUCV is on it's 2nd year since completion of the 8.1/nv4500 swap. All the major kinks have been worked out and he's really getting it dialed in. Other than a leaky rear hub he doesn't have much to do before we shove off.
49956890807_2dcee4d9b6_b.jpg

Larry discovered that he's got an air leak somewhere to the rear ARB as it didn't seem to be working like it should. Besides that he's a tire swap away from being ready. I'm going to change the oil, grease it and rotate the tires next Saturday at work. I'll do a nut and bolt check on the suspension and steering while I'm there.

Despite the crappy weather we still had a good time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier