MITSUBISHI FUSO TRUCK to withdraw from US market

carterd

Press release from May 27th. Bummer.

Logan Township, NJ, USA As a result of a re-evaluation by Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation (MFTBC) of its business situation in the United States and Canada and its consequent decision to shift to a service-focused operation in these markets, Mitsubishi Fuso Truck of America, Inc. (MFTA) announces that it shall discontinue new truck sales.

By taking this action on new truck sales in the U.S. and Canada, MFTA is adapting to the strategic decision by MFTBC to readjust product development and sales activities in these markets. MFTA plans to re-align its organizational focus towards service operations in the coming months, and to work with its U.S. and Canadian dealer partners to transition sales dealerships into parts and service-dedicated locations. MFTA at the present time plans to maintain its headquarters in Logan Township, NJ, along with its parts distribution and technical training centers, while continuing to employ a majority of its employees in the near term.

MFTA plans for FUSO customers in the United States and Canada to remain supported through an authorized FUSO service network for warranty repairs, maintenance services, and replacement parts until 2028. MFTA will continue to support the eCanter all-electric trucks that are in operation in the United States under the terms of each customer’s respective special lease. The intention is to have present FUSO dealerships in the United States and Canada remain operational, and for new vehicle sales locations to have the option of continuing to retail available truck stock for a period of time.*

“Working with FUSO dealers, we have developed a strong team throughout the United States and Canada that always places the customer first,” said Justin Palmer, president and CEO, Mitsubishi Fuso Truck of America, Inc. “MFTA is fully dedicated to making this transition a smooth one for our customers, and we remain committed in supporting a parts and service network for many years to come.”
*Customers should contact their FUSO dealership for further information.
About Mitsubishi Fuso
Headquartered in Logan Township, NJ, Mitsubishi Fuso Truck of America, Inc. (FUSO) is a subsidiary of Daimler Trucks Asia, Kawasaki, Japan, an integral part of the Daimler Trucks Division of Daimler AG. With a heritage of more than 30 years in North America, FUSO is focused on delivering trucks with the lowest cost-of-ownership in their class. Its Class 3-5 diesel-powered, medium-duty cabover trucks are available through more than 200 dealer locations throughout the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and Guam. More than 100,000 Mitsubishi Fuso standard, 4-wheel-drive and crew cab trucks have been sold in North America to fulfill the transportation needs of a wide variety of businesses and industries, including beverage, catering, refrigerated and dry cargo delivery fleets, vehicle recovery, towing, pest control, plumbing, light construction and landscaping. For more information, visit www.mitfuso.com, follow FusoTruck on Twitter, or like FusoTruck on Facebook.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Probably not the best news for US and Canadian citizens, but it's not a big surprise.
My guess is that the issues with the Duonic transmission in the US 4x4 market probably played a part in this decision, as the 100% recall must have cost them a lot, both financially and to their reputation.

Personally, I think Fuso lost the plot with their decision to go with the 3.0 litre engine, but that is just my opinion.
Over the past five years or so, there has been a definite shift in Australia away from Fuso and to towards the Isuzu.
If I were in the market for a new 4x4 light truck today, I would not be buying a Fuso.

That said... I am not unhappy with my 2010 FG84.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Wow, I sure didn't see that coming. I've seen firsthand how Mitsubishi struggled with that new motor and transmission but never figured it would come to this. I'm guessing that the economic downturn made them more willing to look at, and make, hard choices. Might as well take the hit now when your stock is already trashed by Covid-19.

Even though it will now be an orphan brand, I'm still very happy to have my 2007 Fuso with the non-emissions motor.

How long until we see an EarthCruiser on a 4x4'ed NPR? That would be really nice.

gregmchugh

Observer
Wow, I sure didn't see that coming. I've seen firsthand how Mitsubishi struggled with that new motor and transmission but never figured it would come to this. I'm guessing that the economic downturn made them more willing to look at, and make, hard choices. Might as well take the hit now when your stock is already trashed by Covid-19.

Even though it will now be an orphan brand, I'm still very happy to have my 2007 Fuso with the non-emissions motor.

How long until we see an EarthCruiser on a 4x4'ed NPR? That would be really nice.

Agree, I cannot image EC not using a cab forward truck chassis so it would appear Isuzu might be the only option...

Howard70

Adventurer
Agree, I cannot image EC not using a cab forward truck chassis so it would appear Isuzu might be the only option...
Actually there may be at least three options for 14,000 - 16,000 GVW cab over (or cab forward) trucks of similar size to the Fuso in the US:

Isuzu - gas link diesel link

GM - Link (scroll down to 4500 variants)

and Hino - Link look for the 155 variants

I'll admit that the GM might not be completely distinct - does anyone know who manufacturers it?

Like others, I'm curious to see what EarthCruiser decides!

Howard

pugslyyy

Actually there may be at least three options for 14,000 - 16,000 GVW cab over (or cab forward) trucks of similar size to the Fuso in the US:

I'll admit that the GM might not be completely distinct - does anyone know who manufacturers it?

Howard

I had forgotten about the Hino (which is part of Toyota). The GM 4500 is a rebadged Isuzu NPR.

pugslyyy

... and the R&D that EarthCruiser invested towards converting the gas FUSO drivetrain to 4x4 ....
Unfortunately small businesses are always at the mercy of big faceless corporations - I'm sure it was a bean-counter decision over at Daimler. Hopefully a lot of the work EC did will translate to the NPR (or Hino, etc.)

gregmchugh

Observer
Hino does not have the option of a gasoline engine, EC has been making the case for going gasoline which would work for Isuzu but not for Hino. But they could go back to diesel I suppose...

Decanter

Adventurer
Unfortunately small businesses are always at the mercy of big faceless corporations - I'm sure it was a bean-counter decision over at Daimler. Hopefully a lot of the work EC did will translate to the NPR (or Hino, etc.)
Aren't the Isuzu and new Fuso both using 6.0 GM powerplants and I would ASSUME the 4l80 tranny's? Width can't be that much different (for axles), It might be a relatively painless switchover for them (I hope).

gregmchugh

Observer
Aren't the Isuzu and new Fuso both using 6.0 GM powerplants and I would ASSUME the 4l80 tranny's? Width can't be that much different (for axles), It might be a relatively painless switchover for them (I hope).

Latest info on Isuzu gasoline engines and transmissions. Fuso has a 6.0 and an Allison 1000 transmission...

gregmchugh

Observer

Howard

EarthCruiser does build on the Isuzu (with factory 4wd) in Australia so there might be some standardization advantage by going with Isuzu over here...

biggoolies

Adventurer
Well that is too bad. No four wheel drive cab overs in North America. I know that that option went away before this announcement. How many options do the Europeans have?

gregmchugh

Observer
Well that is too bad. No four wheel drive cab overs in North America. I know that that option went away before this announcement. How many options do the Europeans have?

MAN, Mercedes, Fuso, Iveco, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles