Do you regret buying a base model truck?

Jacobm

My truck isn't exactly a base model but it wasn't optioned up either, and it's from 2001 so essentially base model now. Compared to my daily (loaded Chrysler 300) I really miss heated/cooled seats and the touchscreen nav. At some point I may put a headunit that lets me do Android Auto so I can have the moving map. I don't use it for turn by turn but I do use it for advanced warning of when my turn is coming up, or to cut through a side street when there's construction or an accident ahead, and just to help orient myself. It's super helpful for avoiding surprises. I don't miss the heated/cooled seats as much as I thought I might, but it's been mild in the few months I've had the truck. They're a necessity on the 300, it's all black on black. I also wish I had remote start. All things that I can live with because it's a used truck and it fits my needs, but if I were buying new I would certainly option it up as much as I could afford. Trucks are becoming just as luxurious as cars these days, even more so in ride comfort with room for more suspension travel and thicker tires. I see no reason for base model trucks for anything besides fleet duty.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Huh. Not sure if it's a regional or 2020 thing but, STX is coming up with a bench and 2.7. When I try to option another engine or buckets / console, it tells me I have to remove the STX option.

I swear it used to be buckets / console w/ column shift?

Capture.PNG

I'm happy with my 301A package. Although I found leather easier to keep clean.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I’ve never been able to figure out what the appeal of my six way adjustable electric seats are, sometimes For laughs I put the seat all the way up and pretend I’m seven feet tall.
I actually have my seat all the way up, haha. I find it's better leg / thigh support and the seating position leaves me less tired.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Realistically you'll never regret having stuff you never use on your truck.

I've never heard a single person [in person] who bought a up-trimmed truck and wish they had bought something lower than it.... I mean I've seen plenty of people on forums, this one included, wax poetically about base model trucks, but at the end of the day hypotheticals and the real world are two different things.

I tend to agree with this right here. Long after you've forgotten what a 'deal' you got you'll still remember the options you wish you'd gotten but didn't. That's the main reason I flew 500 miles to Salt Lake City to get my truck vs. buying one locally: It had every option I wanted and nothing I didn't want (like a sunroof, I don't like 'em.)

Also the "you can add it later" thing doesn't always work out. On my F-150 the 36 gallon tank was (I think) a $400 option. It would likely cost over $1000 to add that on later.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
We just recently bought a fully loaded Chrysler pacifica which we really enjoy all the "goodies" on the road. Adaptive cruise is a game changer. Heated and cooled seats are a joy. If I could get a la carte, that's all I'd get. The stupid stock nav always puts me in the middle of a field (haven't brought it in because of covid) and the steering assist I think is only helpful when I'm sleepy after 12 hours of driving. It wants to jerk you towards the semi truck riding on the dotted line rather than let you hug the line yourself.

My last modern truck was a 2005 Lariat, and I think it had just enough tech for me. I thought I'd like android auto much more than I do. Honestly, it drives me absolutely bonkers.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The resale on a loaded truck is better too when you sell it.
I've sat in a loaded 2019 Laramie and just two days ago a 2019 Tradesman.
Aside from the huge price difference though Laramie was soo nice especially after owning an '07 SLT Ram.

CCH

Adventurer
I'm going to be the cheap guy in the crowd. Many packages to get all the goodies are several thousand dollars more. That is a lot of gas, trip, whatever money. I know it gets to be funny money if you're financing over an extended period of time or simply in relation to the base cost of the vehicle, but it's still a lot out over your pocket either now or later. My wife gets the luxury package, but I don't. My previous two vehicles were purchased new -- a JKU and a Dodge 2500 Diesel Tradesman, and saved me quite a bit of money. My latest truck was bought used, but getting a base vehicle still helped me get more for my money. Personally, I love rubber floors and the 4WD shifter on the floor rather than electronic dials. The single thing that drives me batty is the lack of an ambient temperature read out on my current ride. May sound petty, but I like to know how cold it has gotten when I'm driving up in elevation and where I don't have a cell signal to get it from my phone. Otherwise, I can live with AC, PW, PL, Cruise and the ability to plug in my phone and play Spotify.

billiebob

Do you wish for all the amenities?
Never, the only luxury I like are leather seat, not for the leather but for the ease of cleaning and durability. Either that or I'd want heavy duty vinyl and vinyl floor mats. Air, no need, I ride all summer without doors on my Wrangler. High end stereo.... lol I never even turn on the radio. And all the nanny controls which put you in idle mode when some electronic gremlin says.... Oh No, we are going to die.

Plain Jane, the base model is always the best buy.

Heated seats I freaking hate.
Cruise, I have it, never use it.

Best way to buy that stripper, at year end when dealers just want it gone. Push them for a free extended warranty. Offer 50% of list.
And as oilbrnr says. All the options are bolt in. Find a written of loaded Lariat with ALL the options. Pick what you want.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Also the "you can add it later" thing doesn't always work out. On my F-150 the 36 gallon tank was (I think) a $400 option. It would likely cost over $1000 to add that on later.

If you can find a reasonable salvage yard, and can do the work yourself, you can do the swap for 250.00-300.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

Huh. Not sure if it's a regional or 2020 thing but, STX is coming up with a bench and 2.7. When I try to option another engine or buckets / console, it tells me I have to remove the STX option.

I swear it used to be buckets / console w/ column shift?

View attachment 588887

I'm happy with my 301A package. Although I found leather easier to keep clean.

Since 2015 the STX package comes with the bucket seats and big center console. You can also get the 3.5 and 5.0 with the STX package.

Wonder if they changed it for 2020?

D

Deleted member 9101

The resale on a loaded truck is better too when you sell it.

While this is true, the loaded trucks also cost more to insure, come with the possibility of expensive repairs, and typically get worse fuel economy (they are heavier). So in the end its a wash.

billiebob

Look for the one no one wants.

A buddy bought a 2016 Audi A6, loaded, with the VW TDI that got them into trouble. It had been updated, no longer a lying computer but it sat in the lot for 4 years. They paid $19K. Full warranties starting in 2020, on a zero milage 2016. It listed at $69K.

If you want what the guy next door is running, there will be a price to keep up with the Jones. There are great buys out there if you want a great buy. And when you find it, have cash. The biggest scam is in house financing. A smart salesman will give what you want, then rape you.

No doubt, a used loaded truck will sell first if the stripper is the same price. Buy well so you can blow away the average used truck price when you sell and lose less too. I have rarely had the luxury version and always found a buyer fast selling a clean, well maintained stripper.

Last edited:

jonathon

I have a 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn with the 6.4 Hemi. Level 1 equipment so it has the 8” Uconnect 4, power folding mirrors, power driver seat, 6 person seating with storage under front middle seat, remote start, electric shift transfer case, fog lights, 18” aluminum wheels, and a few other things. Also has 4.10 gears, VSIM, upfitter switches, anti spin rear diff, body color bumpers, and goose neck prep package. Overall payload is 3190lbs.

The front seats are very comfortable and a definite improvement over the 4th gen trucks. I overall love my truck and will not be changing anytime soon. No regrets on the Bighorn. To be honest I would have bought a nicely optioned Tradesman if I could have found one with the options I wanted. I really long for rubber floors. Unfortunately most Tradesman trucks with rubber floors are bare bones.

I’ve made some 4 hour trips in my truck and it’s incredibly comfortable. The seats are comfortable and the truck is quiet and smooth. Definitely not tiring to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles