Column Lock

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Well, a new problem. Today the column Lock is acting up and not allowing me to remove the key. Kind of a problem as our headlights are always on (guessing it is from firetruck days). Plus our truck will not start unless you turn the key all the way off, the only way to restart now is the remote start button. Any thoughts on fixing it?

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Also, just noticing when at idle our voltage drops below 24v, right now it is 23.3. I don't remember the truck doing this, but we rarely idle the truck.

Madoxen

Some of our trucks have a little tab you have to push in to turn the key the last part off before you pull it out, I have seen this jerry rigged so you no longer need to do it but as far as i know mercs did not use this but might be worth checking anyways,

also if the Voltage is dropping down might be worth putting a meter across your alternator to check it is not on its way out. failing that maybe a short somewhere, double check where you have been changing your radiator and expansion for any damaged wireing?

hope you get it fixed

Neil

Observer
Can't help with the Steering Lock. Our model doesn't have them.

However, we do have a cable operated throttle. I think you replaced yours. I actually think I remember you finding the part number for mine, which seized.

This is where I would start looking. Maybe it's stretched or slipped. You probably have already looked at this.

Neil

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Although probably completely unrelated I had our start batteries tested and one came back with a warning that it would fail soon. Sort of corresponded with the low voltage I was seeing when I started the truck that morning (temp was just at freezing). So I replaced both in Boise Idaho. Honestly I do not understand why the ignition will not allow you to restart unless you move the key into the lock position, then start. Must be some electrical bit in there, though seems pretty high tech for such a primitive truck. I am guessing the problem is not fixed but I was able to remove the key successfully a few different times yesterday (I did squirt WD40 into the lock cylinder). Should probably take the column housing off and take a look. I should also try and figure out the wiring for our headlights so I can turn them off and not have them on 100% of the time.

Can't help with the Steering Lock. Our model doesn't have them.

However, we do have a cable operated throttle. I think you replaced yours. I actually think I remember you finding the part number for mine, which seized.

This is where I would start looking. Maybe it's stretched or slipped. You probably have already looked at this.

The manual throttle seems to work ok. I use it daily to let the truck warm up before driving, and I did replace it as ours was broken when we got the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles