Smaller camp stoves?

ChrisCosta416

Hi folks,

I say it is time to replace my current camp stove, which is an old coleman. I recently bought a Goose Gear camp kitchen and would like to fit a nice compact stove in their.

Only issue is every stove I see seems to be huge (about 20 inches wide). I know cook partner makes stoves built for the goose gear drawers but man is the stove pricey. Does anyone know of any company that makes a dual burner camp stove that is under 20 inches in width? I looked at camp chef and while their stoves look nice they are pretty big.

Thoughts"?

85_Ranger4x4

If you are ok with the old Coleman they did make difference sizes of them, some under 20" wide.

I use a 1974 425E, I wouldn't want to go much smaller for a two burner. There is an offbrand propane Coleman knockoff green suitcase single burner on FB marketplace that has been tugging at my heartstrings though.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
I **really** like the smaller Iwatani high-output single-burner.

Lets you use propane, or for portability a Butane cartridge - cheap from Asian groceries - inserts inside, all self-contained,

lets you stick it in a backpack or picnic basket for on the beach or whatever.

We use with mongolian BBQ cast iron dome on top, another style for Korean hotpot, also perfect for even the biggest wok for stirfries.

Also goes real low for simmering.

Very robust last a lifetime.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Another vote for the catering/Asian-style butane/propane single burner. I've been evangelizing these for a while now. I use a dual-fuel Stansport as my main burner, and I have a teeny little Gas One dual-fuel that fits inside my "kitchen kit in a box" for when I need a second burner, or just want to make coffee. Those are 8500 and 7200 BTUs, respectively. GasOne also makes a 15k BTU beastie that's not much bigger, and I've got my eye on that one...

IMG_20190907_064114.jpg

I just use one of those single burners. It folds up and can fit in my pocket.
I usually do all my cooking on the fire.
I just use the burner if its raining or I just want a quick cup of coffee.

towee

Another vote for the single burner catering type butane stoves.i have a buddy with the Iwatani like posted above I’ve got the gas one. Great heat control, cheap and durable as heck. Make sure you get one with a propane adapter those butane cylinders don’t do well at all in cold weather.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Another vote for the Gas One with 15K BTU. The only potential drawback with butane is using it when really cold out but that is easily overcome by using propane with the supplied conversion hose. Being able to switch and go lite is huge. Hot in the house but you want to cook, just whip out the Gas One and keep the house cooler.

Kevin108

Explorer
The Coleman Fold and Go is what I've used for the last couple of years. It really works well being no bigger than it is. I have both the grill and griddle trays for it and use both frequently. That said, I've found a cast iron griddle from Lodge that fits my 1963 Coleman 2-burner and I may go back to that, since it would leave me the option for having an open flame as well.

towee

I found that out the hard way. Morning coffee was delayed.

Me too Buddha. I’ve got a spot in my drawers that holds 6 of the butane bottles or 4 of the green propane bottles I usually switch back to butane when I take my buddy heater out of the drawers and it’s always too early. So I guess what I mean to say is some people (me) never learn....

sn_85

Observer
Check out the GSI Selkirk 460 and Eureka Ignite 2. Both measure 18.5" wide. Both look like good options around $100

kathleenmelissa

Another vote for the catering/Asian-style butane/propane single burner. I've been evangelizing these for a while now. I use a dual-fuel Stansport as my main burner, and I have a teeny little Gas One dual-fuel that fits inside my "kitchen kit in a box" for when I need a second burner, or just want to make coffee. Those are 8500 and 7200 BTUs, respectively. GasOne also makes a 15k BTU beastie that's not much bigger, and I've got my eye on that one...

View attachment 586827
Great, I think this is not a bad idea !!

Choff

Adventurer
Jet Boil Genesis - Most compact storage size by a long shot. The best flame modulation we have tested and the ability to add a 3rd Jetboil style burner is really nice for bigger groups. Some have complained about a lack of a good windscreen but for 10.00 you can find compact folding wind screens that will fill the bill. Excellent ergonomic piezo lighter is really nice to use

Jet Boil Genesis - Most compact storage size by a long shot. The best flame modulation we have tested and the ability to add a 3rd Jetboil style burner is really nice for bigger groups. Some have complained about a lack of a good windscreen but for 10.00 you can find compact folding wind screens that will fill the bill. Excellent ergonomic piezo lighter is really nice to use

We've been using the Jetboil Genesis Base Camp system for 4,000 miles through Mexico as well as in the states (we travel full-time), and it's proven very reliable. Originally we got the Luna burner, which can attach for coffee/boiling water. But when I just wanted coffee, I had to set up the whole thing. So I ended up just getting the Jetboil Flash and I don't use the Luna burner anymore.

I have a full blog review of the system if anyone wants me to PM it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles