Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m gonna give this 11” Hayden radiator fan a try for cooling. I figure if I extend the shroud, I can draw air in and force it out the cab windows if they’re open an inch or so.

B1FC711A-9DDB-4A07-986D-5C878F8D5747.jpeg504E45D3-D432-4C4F-BD44-FCA42027C663.jpeg
The first is to show the relative size compared to the window. The second more like what’ it’ll look like installed. I’m going to turn it 90 degrees clockwise for better centering.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m gonna give this 11” Hayden radiator fan a try for cooling. I figure if I extend the shroud, I can draw air in and force it out the cab windows if they’re open an inch or so.

View attachment 585516View attachment 585517
The first is to show the relative size compared to the window. The second more like what’ it’ll look like installed. I’m going to turn it 90 degrees clockwise for better centering.
Tested it out today. It cooled the box off quickly. It moves enough air to create a strong breeze out both front windows that we’re open about 1.5”... strong enough that it’s noticeable just standing near the front doors. I plan to use a spare ballast resistor to create a slower speed... and a thermostat for automatic temperature control.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
No. It’s fairly quiet. Not silent, but about what you can expect for a high cfm stand fan. Quiet enough to easily fall asleep near. I figure a small resistor to knock the voltage down a bit and it’ll knock the volume down a fair bit.

It’s a 12v radiator fan... quiet enough to be drowned out by the engine noise. To get an idea... listen to a imports electric fan.

carnut1969

Hello!

Big thanks to everyone who has taken the time to document their conversion projects. As i take on this project the info is invaluable!

I picked up a Red Cross ERV. 2003, 7.3 with only 36k and 1700h- so it did not sit idling. I had a diesel shop go through it and they replaced the batteries, changed the oil, fuel filter, flushed trans, and a few minor other things- gave it a clean bill of health!

I drove it home and started cleaning, gutting etc. I've removed all the cabinets and some of the walls. I've also removed most of the exterior trim and have begun prepping for paint- she will be leadfoot grey. The Ujoint kit is here and I'm waiting on the springs. Wheels/ tires have been ordered (BFG KM3- 33" on Method wheels) and I picked up a Dana 60 which is being rebuilt with all new components. Lots going on!

I also plan to document the build to help others that decide to go down this rabbit hole.

Here is the plan for the interior- the two seats will actually be a rock and roll bed (bit tough to find here). The area in back will be a bed on a motorized lift which will allow us to have a "sealed" garage when the bed is down, better access when the bed is raised. I considered a permanent structure but allowing enough height to load dirt bikes makes for a tight bed area... plus loading the bikes would be a pain. the motorized bed solves these issues.

interiorcad.pnginteriorcad.pnginteriorcad.png

The area behind the driver's seat will be the shower/ toilet.

I do have a couple questions I hope you guys can answer:

1. There is a wall behind the driver's seat that appears cosmetic. The aluminum structure does not connect to the ceiling. I'd like to remove it so the rear seat passengers have a better view out the front and so that all 4 passengers can chat. any issues with this?

2. My truck has a "wind deflector" attached to the roof of the Ford van. I'd like to remove it to install a cargo basket but there are no bolts.... is it glued on? Welded? does it have to be cut in 1/2 to remove?

ext1.jpg

eporter

Adventurer
Awesome start with the ERV. I think it’s the best combo of ambo quality and size/utility. Is the box on the ERV built like an ambo, to withstand a roll? Or is it more of a burly box truck? Usually the wall behind the driver can be removed on box trucks. That fairing is pretty sweet, I wished my old ambo had one. Ambos will have the fairing and then cut out the roof above the driver/pass. for easier walk through. I’m guessing the ERV just has the normal van roof and then the fairing glued/screwed on?

You’re going to need to make a build thread and fill it with pics! Looks like a great project.

carnut1969

Awesome start with the ERV. I think it’s the best combo of ambo quality and size/utility. Is the box on the ERV built like an ambo, to withstand a roll? Or is it more of a burly box truck? Usually the wall behind the driver can be removed on box trucks. That fairing is pretty sweet, I wished my old ambo had one. Ambos will have the fairing and then cut out the roof above the driver/pass. for easier walk through. I’m guessing the ERV just has the normal van roof and then the fairing glued/screwed on?

You’re going to need to make a build thread and fill it with pics! Looks like a great project.

It is built like an ambulance with large diameter aluminum square tubing

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
2. My truck has a "wind deflector" attached to the roof of the Ford van. I'd like to remove it to install a cargo basket but there are no bolts.... is it glued on? Welded? does it have to be cut in 1/2 to remove?

If you remove the headliner you will see the heads of the bolts although you'll still need to cut the deflector off from the outside and then remove the flange because it was installed before the box. On mine I decided to cut an access hole from the box to use the area for storage from the inside. It was kind of a pain because I had to seal the 1" gap between the box and the deflector but I think it was worth it.

KIMG0528.JPG

You can see the bolts/nuts covered in silicone here....

KIMG0529.JPG

eporter

Adventurer
Ok, wow, two ERVs on here?! Did the Red Cross just sell them all off? You need to make a build thread for yours, because it looks like there are _just_ a couple changes you’ve made to that! Looking great so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles