New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

naks

Do you carry UV lotion in your purse too?

View attachment 585931

It would seem Trump has some competition in the stupidity department...

c8b09212f7ec163f0995f70c5761f47f.jpg

EricTyrrell

Expo God
So, how does this differ from LR and the Discovery branches and Defender being one OEM with different model codes and then getting a new Defender code?
If the new Defender is a comfort oriented branch off the original, then it's a Discovery. If not, it's a DINO.

warranty repair
INEOS will have to figure that out. I'm more concerned with the vehicle's merit on its own.

As for your Series/Defender evolution comparisons.. It's never been more clear that the new Defender looks exactly like the original, in the same way that a Playskool toy looks like its original.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Why don't you guys worry about the vehicles you have and not the ones you do not, this thread is tired let it die. Jeep and Land Rover and hell Toyota all make great 4x4 each with its own place. They will all do the job just fine as cars and 4x4's. Find the one you like and drive it. Outside of the Round or Square lights argument or good hearted TJ= Trindy Jeep Yj= Yuppy jeep you don't hear half this much boo hoo hooing on Jeep Forum. Not since the death of the CJ in 89 anyway. I cant speak for Toyota having never owned one. What we have here is Land Rovers New Defender Like it or don't. And Yes I have a sticker of Calvin peeing on Land Rover on my Land Rover because its Funny!IMG_7995.jpg

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
So at the End this all goes to the treatment of the front clip. Because the ****** end looks pretty spot on as a modern take on the old. If the windscreen was more up and done and the bonnet was not quite so round there would be less belly aching. BUTTTTT its not.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
So at the End this all goes to the treatment of the front clip. Because the ****** end looks pretty spot on as a modern take on the old. If the windscreen was more up and done and the bonnet was not quite so round there would be less belly aching. BUTTTTT its not.

Looks are just the beginning of the disaster, but let's focus on that rear, because who doesn't?

1589561350329.png

1589561520852.png

Also, FFS was it so hard to give it round lights? I'd expect no less of dandy McGovern. The next iteration, if there is one, will just completely give up and mirror an Evoque.

nickw

Adventurer
So, how does this differ from LR and the Discovery branches and Defender being one OEM with different model codes and then getting a new Defender code?

And again, your shade tree mechanic does not do warranty repair so maybe lucky if BMW chooses to pick up the tab on warranty or pawn it off to a body control module issue and tell the Ineos owner it's not their problem. I have not seen anything saying who is covering the global warranty so your theory like the rest of your comments is pretty much useless and will most likely be debunked by facts in the next 5-10 posts.

Regarding repairs, @EricTyrrell has no clue ****** he's talking about....it may work out that they will partner with BMW, but as of now, we simply don't know and to your point, to say otherwise is a leap of faith and in no way guaranteed.

catmann

The rounded corners don't help but are not the sole issue - I think there would be a way to re-do the front without a redesign of actual bodywork and make it work better. Sort of how the 2014+ LR4 looks better than the 2010-2013 (in my opinion). It does not always take much - the cartoon face in front staring at me is the biggest issue. The 2022 FFRR spy shots show those little headlight squares that are on the Defender, so that makes me nervous about what they may have done. If they have the "eyes" for headlights as well it will be an interesting public reaction for sure.

naks

It's the guy driving around in a "2010 Defender", on an Overlanding forum, claiming Jeeps are too dangerous.

Boet, I know *exactly* how unsafe old Defenders are, which is why the L663 IMHO is a suitable replacement: my wife nearly died in 2005 when she rolled hers and the roof caved in, the only thing that saved her is that she's very short + the rooftop tent absorbed most of the impact.

I know someone who watched their wife & one kid die when that happened to them.

this is also why our 90 is now mostly a trail vehicle and the RRS is the one we use for road trips.

You may not value your life, or your loved ones', but many of us do.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Boet, I know *exactly* how unsafe old Defenders are..

Yet you don't appreciate that the JL, and others, are far safer than an old Defender, while still being honest successors. It's possible to achieve modernity, simplicity, and relative safety, without completely abandoning everything but a name.

nickw

Adventurer
Looks are just the beginning of the disaster, but let's focus on that rear, because who doesn't?

View attachment 585937

1589563891020.png

Also, FFS was it so hard to give it round lights? I'd expect no less of dandy McGovern. The next iteration, if there is one, will just completely give up and mirror an Evoque.

Let me guess, @JeepColorado on the left "Jeeps ROOOCK..." and @EricTyrrell on the right "Don't you dare call this a Defender"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles