2014 G550 expedition build

RobMBush

Hi Guys,

I've started a new build on a 2014 G550 with 45k original CA miles.

Build list:
Thor G10 17" wheels custom powder coated flat black - Installed
BFG ko2 in 285/70-r17 - Installed
Ohlins shocks for up to 3" lift - on order
ORC Locker and brake lines - installing when the Ohlins come in
Caster correction bushings for ~50mm lift - In route from Germany
VTS fender protectors - Installed
VTS tire carrier cover on the 18" OE spare. Using a similar diameter BFG ko2 for spare.
40mm spring spacer with OE springs - Installed (I also have a set of nearly new Thor springs off my 05 G500 I haven't decided to run)
OE mudflaps - on order
FrontRunner full rack and fairing - in the living room currently. The truck wont fit in the garage anymore once its installed and I've still got suspension work to do :)

Last edited:

RobMBush

Cool project, glad to see the newer G's getting off the pavement! How's she compare with the 05?

Much softer ride on stock springs with the 40mm spring spacers. Truck sits level front to back as well vs my old 05 rig running stock springs is lower in the front by about 10mm from the factory. Transmission and engine are much more noticeable, faster shifts and a-lot more power. Biggest negative on the new truck is I'm starting to feel like its too nice to take offroad! I may keep my old rig and make it a dedicated off-roader and keep this newer G550 for more mild for mixed use (also towing a ~19-23ft airstream).

RobMBush

All that other stuff but compromise on such a simple thing as having a proper matching spare? Did Thor run out of wheels? ;)

I have a spare Thor G10 wheel but VTS doesn't sell 17" wheel cover and the G10 doesn't work well with the OE carrier. Have the flip mount on my other G but like the VTS carrier cover the best. The spare tire is for all intents and purposes the same diameter and type. Besides the spare wouldn't be running a TPMS sensor so it would never be more than for temporary use to get me out of trouble.

RobMBush

how has clearance with your garage been in relation to lift/upsized tires/roof rack?

Doesn't fit anymore! barely fits without the rack. Besides the garage is full of cars normally: 991.2 GT3, F80 M3 and my old 77z I restored in high school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles