Front Runner Wolf Packs

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Going on 8 years and my boxes are a good as the day I got them. Once I finish up my COVID-19 projects, I'll order 4 more. I still have not installed the metal latches I bought, the plastic ones have given me zero trouble.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Going on 8 years and my boxes are a good as the day I got them. Once I finish up my COVID-19 projects, I'll order 4 more. I still have not installed the metal latches I bought, the plastic ones have given me zero trouble.

I got the steel latches for a few of mine. I was hoping that they wouldn't fall out as easily as the plastic ones. They work pretty good, but you still gotta stay on top of them because they can still fall out.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Has anyone used both the wolf and cub packs and have a preference for one or the other? I'm building a sleeping platform and it will be able to fit either two wolf packs or four Cub packs.

I have both Wolf Pack and Cub Pack boxes.

I purchased the Wolf Packs first, half with the regular lids and half with the tall lids. I like them much better than the Action Packers, Plano boxes and milk crates they replaced. I purchased several sets of metal latches to replace the plastic latches that came on the boxes but just as others have reported the plastic latches have yet to break.

I purchased my Cub Pack boxes when I purchased my '06 Jeep LJ in 2017. The Wolf Packs wouldn't fit where I needed them to fit in the LJ, but the Wolf Packs remain in use in my Xterra, most recently on a 3-week overlanding trip in Baja California.

There have been several times that I wished my Cub Packs were slightly larger to make it easier to pack certain items, but in general they work just as well as the Wolf Packs and there is definitely an advantage to a Cub Pack being lighter and slightly easier to handle than a filled Wolf Pack.

My Xterra jammed to the top with gear before leaving on an extended trip to Moab, showing two Wolf Pack boxes:

Interior Cargo Rack Xterra.jpg

My jeep packed and ready to go, showing two Cub Pack boxes:

Packed and ready to go 05 05 19.jpg

yeos

Observer
I have both Wolf Pack and Cub Pack boxes.

I purchased the Wolf Packs first, half with the regular lids and half with the tall lids. I like them much better than the Action Packers, Plano boxes and milk crates they replaced. I purchased several sets of metal latches to replace the plastic latches that came on the boxes but just as others have reported the plastic latches have yet to break.

I purchased my Cub Pack boxes when I purchased my '06 Jeep LJ in 2017. The Wolf Packs wouldn't fit where I needed them to fit in the LJ, but the Wolf Packs remain in use in my Xterra, most recently on a 3-week overlanding trip in Baja California.

There have been several times that I wished my Cub Packs were slightly larger to make it easier to pack certain items, but in general they work just as well as the Wolf Packs and there is definitely an advantage to a Cub Pack being lighter and slightly easier to handle than a filled Wolf Pack.

My Xterra jammed to the top with gear before leaving on an extended trip to Moab, showing two Wolf Pack boxes:

View attachment 577877

My jeep packed and ready to go, showing two Cub Pack boxes:

View attachment 577878

Thanks for your thoughts about the boxes! I am trying to simplify my pack out and I feel like the smaller boxes will prevent me from bringing too many unnecessary items. I just have to see if my recovery gear will fit into a cub pack.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I like to keep recovery gears such as kinetic ropes, straps, shackles (soft and hard), etc. in a bag close at hand so that I or a passenger can grab it and go. A box may tough to get to in a recovery situation.

I primarily use bags from Blue Ridge Overland Gear.

Here's one set up ready to be packed in the jeep:

Gear ready for packing 05 05 19.jpg

I use both boxes also, agree with RBills re: size. But I prefer the Cub Packs for the easier to operate lid latches. Plastic or metal, it seems I’m always beating my fingers up trying to unlatch the Wolf Packs. YMMV. Of note, I also use and recommend the soft-sided flat packs from Front Runner; they also fit inside the Wolf Packs if desired.

yeos

Observer
I use both boxes also, agree with RBills re: size. But I prefer the Cub Packs for the easier to operate lid latches. Plastic or metal, it seems I’m always beating my fingers up trying to unlatch the Wolf Packs. YMMV. Of note, I also use and recommend the soft-sided flat packs from Front Runner; they also fit inside the Wolf Packs if desired.

I like the idea of a Flat Pack as my kitchen box. I noticed that the newest version has storage pockets underneath the lid which could be used for spices, dish soap, utensils etc.

TOUGE

Most of my latches broke pretty quickly, the ones that are still there sting my fingers. I also find the wolf size is either too big or two small; I’m sure that’s the case with any container. They’re still great containers but a bit overpriced for something that isn’t waterproof in my opinion.

When closing the latches you don't put on the bottom of the latch, you push on or above the ribs in the middle of the latch and it closes super easy with no pain! It actually says 'push' on them but it's really, really hard to read. Took me about 6 months of ownership and sore fingers to learn that haha. I've never had a problem unlatching.

I had 2 Wolf Packs for 2 and a bit years and 2 more for about 1 year. Absolutely no problems with them, stack easier, more room inside compared to the Rubbermaid totes I was using, I can stand or sit on them.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've been using the 8-gallon Action Packers for years and have been happy with them. They're kept in the back of my little adventure trailer, and space hasn't really been an issue. But this fall (depending on this whole Virus thing) I'm hoping to go for a week with my 46 Willys CJ2A and no trailer. I've got a 3' x 3' space behind the seat, so space will be a premium. I'll be downsizing for this trip with the 2A (I call it "Motorized Backpacking"). So I thought I'd try a couple of the Wolf Packs.

I went to order them from Front Runner, and I guess they're not shipping right now d/t the virus thing. Anybody know of a place that has them for a good price (they were about $33 each on the Front Runner site), and in stock and is shipping?

LowKeyOverland

+1 for Wolf Packs. I use 2 of them on my Gobi Stealth roof rack. I've mounted them a few different ways, but recently I bolted some metal corner brackets to the rack to keep them spaced the way I want, and then I just use a tie-down strap to hold them down.

Since they're not locked or bolted down, I use them mostly for inexpensive but frequently needed things like cleaning supplies, etc. They're also light enough to easily pull them down from the rack to use as a wash basin or as a table.

I also run 2 Plano Sportsman 1919 boxes on the rack, bolted down and locked with keyed padlocks.

I have a more thorough write-up of the Wolf Packs and the Plano boxes at https://lowkeyoverland.com/roof-rack-storage-boxes/

oYu4UVs_q-6Ei2VcDiwImnLXw9C3UI9ggXaXHhOT3QOjGtxEQZpCbgpTWGXbst4_F5X-PnXRskcVfE4L1_KjNIWHBbr_8_X_69nNUg7BBuYm1k8oDu9hb2B9NZgAKL5VGZe3NC5tv-FRaJBGHU0AaR2GXG3rK902yhiggTYC94IctPXnH0FMeBVH90_jeXFoBWuYM2EKKy-9VuKr5t1qAn3nuvZhI5Bwbi9zfuoUThxloV9GZdsmdet7HSADCMuIc3UHdkYZfzB6Eqedcf-Lsk8RYTYV9l6_SCs89BMMHeWYEISPo3Hl7G5bbi-_jCj6bkAodYpAeZxYKAAQC6nJgMKLeZJ9fr6TVJ3APR8Fl3rYqectQemhXglqiz2WNKlDbw7J_WmQGA1PqOmoBiUAYW50IXTwzMDuGnb0roxu9w0eB9X01AyDkAs1jDlUdGVXbW0IUktdzm34mlCLECy3EPYsStwdngt9UPX2GkG8vP6SE89fwTtSyZmMyXQFshB6dIqXkOjsFmHOOZ7lg9cONZl6W935LKXkfJcIGLuyvZU4rHkLb3OWQVP8TB-2ZkoccUb88l1qaAYd5SNO0sLaooLtrmCVPn3D26K9fvGldJSVpNxmkS3rRbSzKec_GXfRf25y0IxbwbO2Ebk6PWKCa0mOthpj0Us7GogIjncemlZAs-rtZoUm8BXGzrqbLVPbfUEfFp5Px66O037e-vfJ4sfwi-sSlVt41hBziRAF5OeUZ5xySGGpBjkA=w1346-h1009-no
bQ2aauT0Z3JfVs8a8V3U03dxm3Ku1YhYd8_9JGNZDVYgpCkzGC53SgJC41Rz4jipS3zdNIQyZvYvRUw2Mlz6dNyIFamZJaVCji9ByojhbzLSy-fYnZKhqFwFu-RNJdrSliW8zYvA4Fzju-KQhbgGb149wQbzMka-1HIQhjA_caHSUB09L-zPGH3ivu5F_CoIemjSar1uqBlNd_MMYKrrO89fobasDGebhZu3H1m_OHdgMxCJLq7NZUpMo8fAy8CItKNEnPioSUql4M-8I0-GFnAkP0XyHU-T5xoK8kEn0_xeXKT0Wl2OzvMwuEyqnX-JnoqD8s94ZFt_PeyXCUVnul_MJW4qnNfk9Ujb_iia1m-RJTJIEXIvCwClsqKIpZu072yx3ZMNenNFA6aNxJEbIuuHs8i9OsKVSfWBOg5aYgpkBGa60g11Siz40HNGe451JNpsXout4f5ylfPQvgYjZVY6V1AKvr-x9emFpvGPd6gBrR9qK_261WaAOITTfa01038lnLG16yCbEa_65_PrRtUSZt1EEiQRbbGDlj_Ip9sVFlizGLNykqTF2J5ZhoubwC3HlgwHPdGxQnVSzsn6NvcgZqCVm6jES-oPpNTow-49-7rTHFh5fzujuU5tIjhNbJpvtuJAW8dNYRCpWV_mYvDvfhiGd-VnGAsL7GKx7HvRTgajHuV-HoUr6lbyHF0M9zdBD-eR1U-8R0MGeyKOG1tA2iAfpPHdhIrUzGhK5ISaQ1nz8F6fapHu=w1346-h1009-no

drrobinson

I went to order them from Front Runner, and I guess they're not shipping right now d/t the virus thing. Anybody know of a place that has them for a good price (they were about $33 each on the Front Runner site), and in stock and is shipping?

FWIW, I received an order from Front Runner last week within a reasonable time from order date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
FWIW, I received an order from Front Runner last week within a reasonable time from order date.

I may have been on their Africa site. Will try again.

And I did. I made sure I was under the good-ol' US of A this time when I went to order. Should arrive on 11 May (six days from now - that's reasonable - I'm in no rush).

I just spent almost $100 for two of these things ($98.02 to be exact with shipping). We'll see if they're worth it compared to the Action packers I've been using for years. I hope so after just spending almost $100 for 'em.

Last edited:

pluton

Adventurer
I just spent almost $100 for two of these things ($98.02 to be exact with shipping). We'll see if they're worth it compared to the Action packers I've been using for years. I hope so after just spending almost $100 for 'em.
I'd like something right about the size of the Wolf Packs but a bit more heavy duty, and with nicer latches. 2 similarly-sized Pelican cases come in at around $160 each.

s.e.charles

They make better replacements metal wire latches.

they are no better on the fingers. for the price, front (!!!) runner should be embarrassed having to upcharge for something this poorly designed. I kept my wolf boxes for 3 months and then gave them to my landscaper.

drrobinson

[QUOTE="rnArmy, post: 2780709, member: We'll see if they're worth it compared to the Action packers I've been using for years. I hope so after just spending almost $100 for 'em.[/QUOTE]

I like them better than action packers I used to use. Primarily because they stack well and have straight sides.

The latches take some getting used too. My wife and I both hated them (hard on fingers) at first, but eventually figured out how to open and close them with no drama. I tried the wire replacements, but didn’t like them personally.

I found them to be pretty water resistant also. Like leave them out in the rain at camp, no problem. I don’t trust them to take a blasting on the roof at 70mph, but only because I haven’t actually tested that.

The high tops are quite useful for certain loads. We use one for our dry food box and the high top makes it quite a bit more functional.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles