Canadians... What's it really like?

Lucky j

Explorer
Wow, just read the entire tread.

Well, since our fire laws are technically so screwed, and if your only reason to come to vanada is to bring you guns and fire amrs, any type, I suggest that you do not come.

But there are so many other things up here that is worth leaving.

What is nice in our type of country, us and canada, is that you have the right to make decision once you got all the info to do so.

Enjoy the outdoor. :)

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
As a Cdn, all I'm saying is there are firearms allowed to be used in the states that are not legal here [AR15/ SBRs]. There are also interpretations of the law made by the RCMP that they may try to charge you with that are in fact not laws but merely the way to strip you of legality [Ruger BX25mags]. There is no castle doctrine here, and pistols are a nightmare to deal with. In short don't bring ARs AKs SBRs or handguns, the RCMP cannot be trusted on firearms issues as they are part of the problem with publishing interpretations not law and taking it as fact. ALWAYS ask for a lawyer and get insurance for legal issues with firearms [ie nfa cffa nra]

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
IMO Canada's weapon laws are perfect. One can legally buy and use hunting firearms, everything else should be for military use only. There are numerous studies worldwide that prove handguns and automatic weapons have no place in developed societies.

I find this funny, because it's proven false so easy. Handguns in the wrong hands is the problem The criminals simply are not following the law so we make up new laws that don't go after them. Automatic firearms are generally in the hands of the military are you calling them undeveloped ?

billiebob

When we camp, I usually carry. What do you Canadians do?
I can't imagine why.

I've been in a few tense situations in the past 45 years, animal and human, I know a gun would have just escalated the conflict. A far better choice is to learn how to diffuse a tense situation with body language and diplomacy. No one wins when 2 guns show up. If you must carry, stay home, you won't be missed.

ps, Canada just banned all assault type guns today, most of us are cheering.

As for handguns if you own one in Canada there are strict laws on how you can use it.

You can only use it at a recognized firing range. You can only transport it from your residence directly to the gun range and directly back home. You cannot even stop to buy milk when transporting it. AND, you cannot "carry" it period.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
ps, Canada just banned all assault type guns today, most of us are cheering.
I just mentioned that above.

Not everyone is banned from owing them. Even thought Trudeau says they are not required for hunting, it was stated indigenous people can keep them as they are required..... for hunting.

Personally I’m not cheering. I think it’ll be waste of taxpayers dollars.

Grassland

I'm not cheering a half dozen friends aren't cheering.
We gave up charter rights and jumped through hoops, and followed all the rules and we are repaid by being labeled criminals and the choice of surrendering what was legally acquired property, AT best paid back for the property with other Canadians money.
Pedophiles, convicted violent criminals, and criminals under weapons prohibitions don't have to report a change of address to the government nor do they have their name run through a Federal police database daily.
But licensed firearm owners do.

And if you think bypassing parliament to take away citizens legally acquired property is something worth cheering for, you aren't my kind of person.

billiebob

They forgot to define what "assault weapons" mean first. Typical Trudeau.
Rather than a definition which would result in court challenges of that definition the current government has listed the specific guns now prohibited. For the next 2 years ir is illegal to buy, sell, import or use them. Over the next 2 years there will be a gun buy back program to give the owners "fair value" when they turn them in. After 2 years ownership and possession will be illegal, prohibited. Sounds like a very fair program.

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/pdf/g2-154x3.pdf

jeep670

Adventurer
Rather than a definition which would result in court challenges of that definition the current government has listed the specific guns now prohibited. For the next 2 years ir is illegal to buy, sell, import or use them. Over the next 2 years there will be a gun buy back program to give the owners "fair value" when they turn them in. After 2 years ownership and possession will be illegal, prohibited. Sounds like a very fair program.

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/pdf/g2-154x3.pdf

Red90

Adventurer
I just mentioned that above.

Not everyone is banned from owing them. Even thought Trudeau says they are not required for hunting, it was stated indigenous people can keep them as they are required..... for hunting.

Personally I’m not cheering. I think it’ll be waste of taxpayers dollars.

That is not what he said. He said they can use them until they can get a replacement. Everyone else must stop use today. Once the buyback is law they will take them away.

billiebob

Gotta start somewhere. The opposition is pretty quiet on this, something tells me they know being vocal opponents to an assault weapons buy back would hit them with a massive backlash. Canadians want this. The vocal minority screaming you can't do this are going to find out yes they can. This is a program similar to buy back programs other Commonwealth countries have done. Nothing new here. It works.

Andrew calls it lazy and ineffective but he fails to say what would be industrious and effective.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles