Hard-Sided Pop-Up Camper by Hiatus Campers

motoboss

Bad Influence
Yeah, when the trend went to making the truck a station wagon, with 4 doors, something had to go and it was the bed length. Unfortunately.

Photobug

Thank you and others for response .I was only trying to determine If Hiatus had started building a 8 foot camper . I sorta feel like 8 foot guys are being left in the dust ,as most of the new stuff coming out is for mid size trucks or for full size short box . Small market I guess .

I have always had a station wagon 4 doors and an 8 foot bed on my trucks. It is doable, the only real problem is getting into a parking space without doing a 10 point turn. I have not had a problem finding a second hand camper though. It is the newer go fast/go light campers that are slow to come in an 8 foot variety. My truck is already 20 feet long and 4 tons so fast and light is out of the question. Plenty of Northstar, Outfitter, Alaskan, Hallmark and even Four Wheel Campers are out there. The problem would be having a half ton with an 8 foot bed.

landman

Thank you and others for response .I was only trying to determine If Hiatus had started building a 8 foot camper . I sorta feel like 8 foot guys are being left in the dust ,as most of the new stuff coming out is for mid size trucks or for full size short box . Small market I guess .

@HiatusCampers will for sure build a camper for your 8ft bed. No issues there. Contact them for a quote or to just chat about what they can do in more detail.

landman

Is this the prior art principle you mention:

, the prohibition on prior art is not limited to merely existing patents; rather, it includes any written description or patent anywhere in the world. If the proposed invention is already the subject of a patent in another country, that precludes the issuance of a patent in the United States. Moreover, if the proposed invention is described in a written publication anywhere in the world (even if it is not formally patented), this still precludes the issuance of a patent in the United States.

Nice camper, agree this will definitely shake up the pop top market

This is a crapy article to be direct and is wildly over simplifying intellectual property (IP) and the patent system here in the USA, let alone internationally. If you are going to talk about international patenting, forget about it. What GLOBAL data base are US patent attorneys going to check? What company, entity, country, or government is responsible for compiling such a unique data base from everyone on the planet? Who funds those efforts? How often is it updated? There are a numerous patent categories, so are there global data bases for each? These are retorical questions, as such a GLOBAL data base does not exists.

When filing a patent the US attorney's don’t say “hey, lets check the patent or IP data base of Ghana or Transylvania to be really really sure!” What a stupid notion.

Also for these “other people with drawings, ideas, written descriptions, or even prototypes,” what have they done to secure their patents? Here in the USA you have to pay fees and keep your patent current for anything infringements to be enforceable. Also, what makes something “enforceable“ here would mean squat elsewhere. The rabbit hole of “enforceable“ is deeeeeeeep. The most important point of “enforceability” is that its only as strong as the persons bank account who is pursuing the issue.

I cant tell if your post to @HiatusCampers is a passive aggressive one to be honest. You posted an article that‘s filled with, at best, over simplied information, and at worst, total miss-information that’s alluding to a legal threat for them. I am going to air on the side of caution here and assume you are humbly sharing information with no other intent.

I want to be clear & transparent about something, I don‘t like trolls. @HiatusCampers are honest great people who are working WELL within their legal rights. They are hard working folks. They are good people. Count on me stepping in every time the subject comes up or if someone is trying to “pull the wool.“

landman

I’ve been super busy recently, but I wired up my electrical system finally. Here is a picture of the lights at night. Super nice & the dimmer is perfect. @HiatusCampers I will be shooting a video Thursday. The weather or my schedule has cause a delay in getting the video done, but I promise to share a cool video very-very soon.

The kitchen is going to start being built by a friend of mine who runs a local wood shop called Summit Woodworks. So ill update with that information in the coming weeks as well.

251D467D-6695-40B8-8098-807734DD4EAC.jpeg

tacomabill

Will it have AC? So few windows it seems it would get hot in warmer months. I have an FWC Fleet and even with 4 huge screen windows + screen door, I was a sweaty, miserable animal when I camped on a trip to Michigan UP in August where temp was 84 F + 85% humidity. Even in the Rockies with temps over 85 it got a bit uncomfortable.

landman

Hey All,
With all this “at home” time I’ve been busy on my Hiatus interior build out. Check out my recent post on our build, many pictures to show progress:

landman

This weekend we made some good progress on our @HiatusCampers interior build out. The magnetic wood cladding panel system came out amazing! More progress in the next few days. Our to-do list: Counter top, sink, water tank system, slide out fridge and table. Selling our sprinter van and going with a Hiatus was the best decision we could have made. Every step of the way we are happier and happier. Pictures from yesterday early evening:

B3DC4BD0-B30B-4550-A6BD-BF268D8127C7.jpeg47998A81-36F1-4E9D-A285-01A4FB8634D7.jpeg3F742550-1E7E-4D20-82BF-60E8375FE35A.jpegD7195169-8ABB-4CE5-83AD-BB2ACB1E32E0.jpeg28B5F8E9-704C-48E1-96BB-C13B9E6DAFE1.jpeg

landman

So we FINALLY got around to editing the video we shot awhile ago for @HiatusCampers and our truck. I tried posting it here on the forum, but it wouldn‘t let me. So here is a link to our instagram where you can see the video. I hope you all like it. Its just a 1 minuet promo reel. We will be doing more videos like this for Hiatus Campers.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Sounds like their camper is a success.
lead time is well out past a year and price went up 12%
But a full size 6.5’ bed shell unit is $4500.00 more then an AllTerrain camper shell unit and it has a bottom. Don't take me wrong I really like there design and if it had a bottom that facilitated easy removal i would have a serious interest in replacing my wedge
I guess I'm just missing were the value is

ITTOG

Landman, how long are the gas struts when the top is deployed? Do they have any identifying part numbers or manufacturer on them?

Pnwfullsize

Sounds like their camper is a success.
lead time is well out past a year and price went up 12%
But a full size 6.5’ bed shell unit is $4500.00 more then an AllTerrain camper shell unit and it has a bottom. Don't take me wrong I really like there design and if it had a bottom that facilitated easy removal i would have a serious interest in replacing my wedge
I guess I'm just missing were the value is

Agreed. I was interested a couple months ago. Then started thinking project m. After seeing that wait time i went back to hiatus only to find the price was up something like $3000 now (15k compared to project m at roughly 10k) and a longer wait time! May very well be a great camper, but I will invest my money into a company with a larger reputation for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles