Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Crashphil

So it happened !!! I was cleaning the trailer and notice my frame is cracked on the left side, between The side marker light and vin plate.
I contacted smittybilt just waiting for a reply now.

Attachments

• 6DC783AA-7C63-410E-BCF1-E3085C6D6975.jpeg
    6DC783AA-7C63-410E-BCF1-E3085C6D6975.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • 0C92FC57-7822-4232-863D-BF163C0B7062.jpeg
    0C92FC57-7822-4232-863D-BF163C0B7062.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 8FFED360-8F47-4AF9-9428-828266804C76.jpeg
    8FFED360-8F47-4AF9-9428-828266804C76.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69

trae

Adventurer
I bought the upper brackets from Habitat but sourced the rest from Amazon for less than half the price of Habitat's kit

I didn't realize you could purchase the brackets separately. Did you just purchase their "light" brackets? And what did you do for the lower mounts?

trae

Adventurer
So it happened !!! I was cleaning the trailer and notice my frame is cracked on the left side, between The side marker light and vin plate.
I contacted smittybilt just waiting for a reply now.

Yikes! Do you have the tongue strengthening plates installed?

Crashphil

Yikes! Do you have the tongue strengthening plates installed?
No I don’t , my trailer is a 2017 and doesn’t have them ! Waiting to hear from smittybilt for the brackets and thinking about welding in square tube, I saw member here posted pics how you he did it.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
No I don’t , my trailer is a 2017 and doesn’t have them ! Waiting to hear from smittybilt for the brackets and thinking about welding in square tube, I saw member here posted pics how you he did it.

Yeppers.
That would be me.
If you search back several pages before I build the CF tongue box you can see what I did.
Cost less than $25 in square tubing.
Just make sure you bring off all the galvenization on the stock square tube.
I was having a hard time sticking the welds, but at least mine have not cracked yet.....post welding.
Easy to do.
Were I to do it again I would remove the OEM tongue box and cut the crossmembers then insert and weld in place a full length gusset.

Crashphil

Yeppers.
That would be me.
If you search back several pages before I build the CF tongue box you can see what I did.
I was having a hard time sticking the welds, but at least mine have not cracked yet.....post welding.
Easy to do.
Were I to do it again I would remove the OEM tongue box and cut the crossmembers then insert and weld in place a full length gusset.
Unknowingly you are the person I was making reference too about adding the scare tubing ,
Good advice thanks for the details !!! I would like to add both the plates from smittybilt and the tubing !

Flatland_XJ

I didn't realize you could purchase the brackets separately. Did you just purchase their "light" brackets? And what did you do for the lower mounts?
Yes, I purchased their light mount bracket. It's the same one they use in the kit. I bought 13mm ball studs to go into the bracket. Then found 13mm flat plates for the lower part

Flatland_XJ

I'm still trying to find your rear bumper build. I have to get my tongue weight down. I found another option that I'm still researching to see if it will work.
Yeppers.
That would be me.
Easy to do.

Flatland_XJ

Yes, I purchased their light mount bracket. It's the same one they use in the kit. I bought 13mm ball studs to go into the bracket. Then found 13mm flat plates for the lower part

Here's a link for the studs too

trae

Adventurer
I'm still trying to find your rear bumper build. I have to get my tongue weight down. I found another option that I'm still researching to see if it will work.

@ebrabaek's build is all the way back on page 39: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/smittybilt-scout-trailer-reviews.174189/page-39

What do you have in mind, i'm curious. I like someone elses idea with Yakima backswing. Easy to put together with off the shelf components but not as nice as this.

Flatland_XJ

@ebrabaek's build is all the way back on page 39: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/smittybilt-scout-trailer-reviews.174189/page-39

What do you have in mind, i'm curious. I like someone elses idea with Yakima backswing. Easy to put together with off the shelf components but not as nice as this.
Thanks for the page number. I had someone else tell me about the Yakima back swing also. It does look like an easy solution for the time being.
I had found a kit with all the parts you would need to build your own, you supply the tubing. My only issue with that is that I dont have the equipment or the space to do it. And custom fab work gets expensive real quick

Crushjkur

So I see this thread is very long about 170 pages. Is the Smittybilt trailer worth it? It’s a great price right now at 4WP I don’t have time to read through all the pages. Looks like I have some time off this summer and might get one. I have a 2012 JKUR to tow it with so it may need a rehear as well. Thank you for your help.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
So I see this thread is very long about 170 pages. Is the Smittybilt trailer worth it? It’s a great price right now at 4WP I don’t have time to read through all the pages. Looks like I have some time off this summer and might get one. I have a 2012 JKUR to tow it with so it may need a rehear as well. Thank you for your help.
It depends on what your needs/wants are. We had ours a little over 2 years and enjoyed it. It's pretty much bare bones so its an open canvas for sleeping arrangements, electrical, water, and what ever else you might want to add. I have a 2012 JKUR on 35's and it handled it ok with the stock gears, not saying a regear wouldn't help it just wasn't necessary for us.

We sold ours because I was getting tired of setting up/taking down the roof top tent with the annex. Most of our trips are 1 or 2 nights and both of our kids are still to little to be much help and need to be watched over so I was having to do everything by myself. Our new trailer isn't near as rugged but setup is 10-20% as long which means more time enjoying camping with the family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles