Idacamper2.0 Color change, please let me know your thoughts.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Alright, we are pulling the trigger on a color change.
I have the time to do it before our next big trip, so now is the chance...

The entire thing will be coated using Monstaliner.
But I need your help with colors, er... grays...

Bright white to match the truck is just entirely too much white.

So Im going the direction of gray.

First photo is how it sits right now, with an off-white finish.
Then light, medium, and dark grays...

Please give me some feedback.

Thanks

49783175047_10f8cf8ebf_b.jpg

Light gray
49782851571_819d578e86_b.jpg

Medium gray
49783174457_a98067323f_b.jpg

Dark gray
49782851011_98a03d2406_b.jpg

GHI

Adventurer
I've never seen your rig in person. I like it as is in pics. I'm a big fan of gray. Definitely don't like the darkest gray one you've shown. If you were twisting my arm for an opinion I'd choose the lightest gray option.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
As a person that has done a similar project in Monstaliner, I wouldn't recommend it.
I don't think it is flexible enough for the application.
In fact the other day I was thinking about this. Specifically thought that the elastomeric type coating you used would be far better.
What is driving the material change?
Are you getting any cracking?
In order to stay on topic I like the medium grey.
Monsta has numerous new grey tones out, they recently released 23 new colors.

Monstaliner sends out samples painted on thin poster board. I was concerned with cracking and popping loose due to body flex. I bent the poster board sample several times with no signs of cracking or popping. I am satisfied that it is flexible enough to not crack and with proper surface prep will not pop with body flex.

I am going to throw a color into the mix that has not been suggested. It is in the gray family. Monstaliner has developed a tint that matches Jeep's Anvil Gray. It does have a bluish hue depending on how the light hits it. I do not know if Monstaliner's tint offers this quality.

Ducstrom

My vote is for the light grey too, medium Grey a close second.
Can I ask why monstaliner? When I was considering coating my whole camper in a bed liner material my internet 'research' led me to believe raptor liner was better. (Can't remember why now since it was a couple years ago I was looking into it) I am still planning to coat the lower half of my camper in raptor liner unless monstaliner is the better choice.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Strange... can't even imagine why this would be, if it's flexible enough for a truck bed. Idasho's camper is mounted to a tilting flatbed so it doesn't need to flex anyway.
A steel truck bed isn't "this application" and besides, yes you will see cracks in Linex/montaliner products in a truck bed where panels are spot welded together at the seams and they flex independently. It matters very little in that application because you aren't exposing the interior of your camper walls to moisture.

This application is a coating over wood.
Regardless of how his camper is mounted wood expands and contracts from temperature fluctuations (I don't care how well you seal it).
What I see is hairline cracks, like the ones you see in a boats gelcoat, in places where pieces although epoxied together well, have different expansion and contraction rates that could potentially not be there with a more flexible, elastomeric type coating.

I would like to see detailed close up pics of the top corners, angles, and joints on the roof if @IdaSHO is willing to share.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
A steel truck bed isn't "this application" and besides, yes you will see cracks in Linex/montaliner products in a truck bed where panels are spot welded together at the seams and they flex independently.

Nothing like that will be happening. Monstaliner is a tough and flexible coating; not brittle. If it was me I'd still round and fiberglass the front and top edges. They get beat on by tree branches a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles