Destination Unknown - a 1997 F350 build

Chorky

Observer
So as mentioned above, some CAD drawings of other customers beds have been sent to me a while back. More or less this is the idea of what I have though about for a while now.

Capture2.JPG

In this image, the red is crossing out the bumper of the bed. I would opt to have the bed bumper not included to instead have a buckstop rear bumper with winch mount. I have reasons for this desire. Instead of an open rear bottom of the bed, in blue is the outline of a aft-axle box (to go on both sides). It could house the tire chains, bottle jacks, and jack stands likely. Up front I would prefer to not have the headache rack, or at least have it removable (for reasons below).

Now comes the more complicated bit. For which I am posting to get community input and suggestions, as I'm a bit lost of a good route to go from here, although I think I know what I want, just not sure if it will actually work and fit the way I would like.

So some items intergral to the bed/boxes itself are listed below. These items I would like to be mounted to the bed in the case that I ever parted with the truck, it got wrecked, or what ever reason, I could essentially remove the bed, place it on another truck, and not have to re-do all this work.

Items:
  • viair compressors (dual)
  • viair tanks
  • batteries (2? 4?)
  • electrical wiring (for all the goodies in the bed)
  • water tank (not sure what size, think a quick shower after a day of fun to keep the truck clean, or to transfer water to a camping trailer if water access is difficult)
  • naturally a water pump to go with the tank, and necessary hoses, etc...
  • it would be super sweet to have a water heater too, to alleviate at least some shrinkage in the shoulder seasons (I dont like driving nasty/sweaty for hours after a day's of intense hiking)
  • Refer (probably to go in the bed or maybe in the truck if i remove the rear seats and opt for storage) - mostly for camping and bringing lunches so it can be small'ish, but could also be used for grocery runs and to keep food cool since it's usually an hours drive to the store, and removes need for a cooler and allows a cooler to be used for dry food storage
  • and some other items I'm sure my brain failes to think about

Ok so now we get even more complicated. To make this all work the way it is intended I need a canopy. The canopy is to of course keep items dry, but also to camp in. I'm tired of tenting it in bad weather, and camping out of the truck as it is now has been super convenient!!! I like it a lot. Just enough comfort to enjoy camping, and not fancy like a campervan or truck camper -= after all the idea is to mostly camp in the aformentioned custom cargo trailer camper, and this would be mostly used for supr of the moment hikes that result in wanting to sleep at the trail head if they run long and i'm too tired to drive safely, or if road conditions prevent travel for a day or two which happens. Additionally, the canopy would keep secure a ATV - hopefully one on tracks. Not a side by side, but your standard quad. I believe they are no wider than 48" and no longer than 7" on average??? I have never owned one though. The interior of the canoyp can be built to offer a lot of conveniences or be left plain, that is to be decided later, but for now, I believe a standard extra high canopy with swing doors on the rear and flip up doors on the sides (with windows) would be good. It must also hold 300#'s of kayaks (think the hobie cat tandem island mirage sailing kayak) - for which I will have to thinki about some sort of mechanized loading system since it would be tall, and that kayak is pretty heavy. Additionally, still to be sorted out is tire storage. I had originally thought about dual rear tire carriers on a buckstop bumper, but that also restricts rear views; however, it frees up space inside the bed. Lastly, it would all ride on spring mounts to prevent frame stress and potential cracking between the bed and cab. Although this seems like a lot of weight to be spring mounted.

Anywhoo, these are some thoughts that have been on the brain. I am interested to hear what others think, and what suggestions or changes others may make based on different eperiences.

Chorky

Observer
Nice day for some exploring! Whilst waiting on a bed work-up quote and thinking about plans.

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

A tried and failed attempt to reach Sonyok Lookout It was still a good day to explore some more local areas. After having a intense pucker moment while loosing traction with lockers (only in 2wd) and fearing sliding off a 2,000' hillside with no trees to catch the fall, and being solo, I called it quits, and very carefully reversed, slipping 200' backwards of a sketchy road section that I figured would be impassible before even attempting anyway. In this case, reward was not worth the risk considering the time of year and unknown future hazards. Also only to find out later on I took the route intended for ATV's. This soil out here is super slick! I don't think even being chained up on all 4's would have helped much... Its always good to know your limits, especially when relocating to a new area. Interesting the things you find though. Ran into a older gentlemen on the res who told me about this 'ghost town'. Rather, a work camp back in the day for the ninemile ranger station where they would winter the pack mules. Although, this area isn't really the best location for pack mules, since their primary use to my knowledge is 50 miles south, or 100 miles east of here. The fences were dug by hand of course, and there are miles of fence. Years ago the tribes decided to buy this land and integrate it into the res boundary since it was on the boundary already anyway. An area used now mostly for cattle, and elk hunting by tribal members. Long lost and forgotten memories, but I am fortunate to have met that tribal member who could shed some light on how things have changed over the years. Pretty darn awesome find!

Chorky

Observer
Due to some info and pressure from my supervisor to possibly relocate, I took a one day quick drive to rural northern ID to check out the area. Although not having time to stop and chat with local folks, I did get a feel for the ecology and habitat types of the area. A midway point between western Wa, and my new home in Montana. It was pretty, and the idea of lots of winter snow is great, I do love Montana! A very hard decision will be here quite soon.

ID:
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2841.jpg

Reminds me of washington!
IMG_2850.jpg

Back in MT already - quick trip!
IMG_2851.jpg

Headed home - boy it sure would be hard to leave this.
IMG_2861-2.jpg

Chorky

Observer
@Chorky Did you ever end up getting a bed made for your rig?

Not yet. There have been some developments with medical issues thanks to Uncle Sam of past things, as well as uncertain futures of employment (location specific with the FS). Combined with this virus craziness I can't justify a huge expense at the moment. There is even some potential, though likely small, that I may have to part with the truck and either opt with a newer 2500, or just my Jeep. Hopefully that'll be sorted out in the near future. I have however, been chatting with AlumLine and thus far they have been quite awesome! Way more helpful and talkative and willing than any of the other bed manufacturers. We finally settled on some ideas, and I have been invited to the factory prior to placing an order. So depending on how things go.... I want to figure out also the bed specs for a 2500, possibly if I did have to change directions, I could still order for my truck, and then do a swap at a later date. I have been working also on a sketchup (as accurate as a engineers scale will get me) to make sure my desires can be met, and they absolutely can, with a little compromise, which is awesome. I'll try and finish it up and share it here soon as I'm laid off for the next month, possibly longer.

Chorky

Observer
I have made some progress in recent days on my bed idea/plans. Plans always change, but this is basically the same idea I have had in mind for a little over a year now. So I think at this point, it is probably safe to say the general thoughts aren't going to change much. Now I suppose the real decision soon to be made is if the cost will be worth it - in order for my overall plan to work, the answer is yes absolutely - but, again, things always change.

Anyway, so the general idea is this - have sufficient and relatively dedicated storage for specific items. I'm very organized, and dislike unorganization or messiness. Having things in a dedicated place, easy to access, and easy to keep clean will make things be used more often as it is more convenient. Clay Croft put it well in one episode where he was talking about storage - using air compressor components as an example. So, for me, the items to go in the side boxes are more or less every day carry items. I don't necessarly have everything yet (air stuff, batteries, etc..._), but all the big items pictured I do have (saw, pick, hi-lift, ax, chains, etc...). The idea being behind this layout is, well, space for one, but also ease of access and organization of 'like' components. No doubt things might migrate or change, especially if I come to realize space doesn't quite add up as 'designed'. The second component to this is functionality, which I suppose goes along with the main idea. The interior can be reserved for a future quad or Rokon or other gear. It can also be a 'clean' room of sorts for a modular camping set-up. I likely would not do any sort of interior construction (aside from insulation) that is permanent, as the truck is basically my home, so it needs to remain multi-purpose. Simply having side boxes, and tires on the bumper drastically increases the amount of storage space, as compared to what it is currently if you flip back a few pages of this build.

Now, without further oh, however that word is spelled... Here are some drawings. I utilized standard college rule paper with an engineers scale on the 10's, for those who understand. It is as accurate as I can do by hand (except for the first pic, I drew it 6" too short..). Short of spending money on a product my computer won't run, or spending money on a CAD designer that would cost significantly, I opted for hand drawn prints - which are pretty darn accurate I think... Enjoy.

Bed Storage.JPG

Bed with Topper.JPG

Back View.JPG

Feedback welcome please!!!

85_Ranger4x4

Remember the tires will stick back from the bumper and may block the tail lights.

That caught me on mine, I thought it was going to look nice with the tire offset to one side. I actually held a tire on the bumper and it doesn't take much to block the tail light/brake light for a following vehicle to not be able to see the right lamp at intermediate/close range.

Chorky

Observer
Remember the tires will stick back from the bumper and may block the tail lights.

That caught me on mine, I thought it was going to look nice with the tire offset to one side. I actually held a tire on the bumper and it doesn't take much to block the tail light/brake light for a following vehicle to not be able to see the right lamp at intermediate/close range.

This is a great point and was originally a big concern for me. But the tires in my drawings should be accurate to scale, +/- a few inches. They are 35's. So 70" wide for both. The bed as drawn is 82" wide. So that should net 5" on either side for tail lights assuming the tires are spaced 2" apart. But... I do intend to design it so the lights are not obstructed....they might need to go on the bumper to ensure that. This will be a separate issue. I plan to use buckstop for the bumper, as it will not be integrated to the bed since having a winch and using spring mounts for the bed. So making sure the bumper and bed line up is going to be a challenge no doubt.

BajaSurfRig

@Chorky it looks like the XploreBaja build I dig it!!

lchrum

I just spent the last couple of hours looking around your thread. I am jumping into the 1997 CCLB game. I am picking her up Friday. This is an absolute survivor. I am amazed at how clean it and only 160k miles on the 7.5 460. I am super excited to get started. I will be making a build thread as well. The first move it to ditch the old man running boards and hubcaps. Thanks for your thread. I can't wait to see how that bed plan turns out.

472b04d6e9f046f396c763a1db51bfca.jpgb0654dec65e24231a2ec4d28fb8b2296.jpgd4ed49eb3af642f4ba3a0e9a7df74f6d.jpg8a7444d2c954469a8a118d0653026c81.jpgaf82b99423f14e4d9245a9bd72f7fac4.jpg

Chorky

Observer
I just spent the last couple of hours looking around your thread. I am jumping into the 1997 CCLB game. I am picking her up Friday. This is an absolute survivor. I am amazed at how clean it and only 160k miles on the 7.5 460. I am super excited to get started. I will be making a build thread as well. The first move it to ditch the old man running boards and hubcaps. Thanks for your thread. I can't wait to see how that bed plan turns out.

Glad to have helped inspire you! Nice find with that truck, it looks clean!! What are some of your overall plans?

lchrum

My original plan was to make a do it all truck. Overland/bug out/grocery getter. I was going to raptor line the whole thing. But it might be too nice for that. I did a 2013 Ram 2500 with a drawer/sleeping platform. Custom prinsu style roof rack. Lights. Just sold it so I am going to see what inspires me on the drive back from Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier