H-D plans an adventure tourer for 2020

jadmt

ignore button user
And where do they wear out? In the center? On the edges?
Both about the same depending on where I'm riding. I live by one of the greatest motorcycle roads in the country and not bragging but I figure I have driven it more than any other person as been on it since the early 70's. The first time when I was about 12 yoa and would ride it near every day. Never got tired of it. Did not matter if on a dirt bike, touring bike, sport touring or sport bike it is always fun

Mike W.

HD has to do something here in the USA to boost sales to a "Younger" market.

That "Fat, 60 and Up" HD motorcycle market is in the selling mood due to age and physical limitations!
Harley has outsourced it's brand to China. New bikes have been disappointing. And your right were getting older. In the last 5 years I have sold off my stable..even my prized 1964 Panhead I owned for close to 40 years..I still have my first new Harley..last of the herd..

Buell built a dual sport that was a very decent machine based on the 1200 sportster motor..be interesting to see the new bike..

jadmt

ignore button user
I wish that the agency I retired from had Honda ST1300s, because they sure didn't have enough money to pay me to ride Harley-Davidsons.
Funny I rode beemers, st1300s which I also had as a personal bikes and road Kings which for about 10 years I got a new one every year and rk was my favorite. We did 10 hour shifts and rk so much more comfortable riding for 10 hours and for experienced guys better slow speed handling and more trouble free. We beat on them and never let us down. New riders had more difficult time learning on the Harley's but if a person learned how to handle one they were pretty impressive.

jadmt

ignore button user
Harley has outsourced it's brand to China. New bikes have been disappointing. And your right were getting older. In the last 5 years I have sold off my stable..even my prized 1964 Panhead I owned for close to 40 years..I still have my first new Harley..last of the herd..

Buell built a dual sport that was a very decent machine based on the 1200 sportster motor..be interesting to see the new bike..
The Buell dualsport was a hoot. They made a police package and we demoed them and I loved it I kind of wish I would have bought one. Not sure why they were not more popular at the time.

Mike W.

The Buell dualsport was a hoot. They made a police package and we demoed them and I loved it I kind of wish I would have bought one. Not sure why they were not more popular at the time.
I rented one for a Moab ride..it was a blast..same thing I wish I would have bought one..

MTVR

I test-rode the Buells every year at Laguna Seca. I really, really tried to like them, but they were asthmatic, wheezy, underpowered paint-shakers with clunky agricultural transmissions, and that stupid zero-lash belt drive that all but prevented clutchless upshifts. The tires, brakes, suspension, and geometry were not bad, and the ergonomics were acceptable. But they overheated in traffic, with the fan for the rear cylinder head roasting my inner thigh even through full racing leathers, and once they got hot there was no way to get one rolling without the preignition sounding like it was going to put holes in the pistons...

Mike W.

I test-rode the Buells every year at Laguna Seca. I really, really tried to like them, but they were asthmatic, wheezy, underpowered paint-shakers with clunky agricultural transmissions, and that stupid zero-lash belt drive that all but prevented clutchless upshifts. The tires, brakes, suspension, and geometry were not bad, and the ergonomics were acceptable. But they overheated in traffic, with the fan for the rear cylinder head roasting my inner thigh even through full racing leathers, and once they got hot there was no way to get one rolling without the preignition sounding like it was going to put holes in the pistons...
LOL all the things you hated are what made Harley's the great American motorcycle..I firmly believe when they tried moving into the modern era is when they lost a major market share..40 plus years on a Harley.. probably a million miles and my next ride will be a Victory or Indian..

MTVR

Fun but lots better work bikes out there.

...and the Crown Vic was a better portable office than a Ferrari Portofino would be, but that doesn't mean that I'd rather own a Crown Vic with four bent wheels and torn plastic bumper covers flapping in the wind from the rookie that took it out last, a cockroach farm in his fast-food wrappers under the passenger seat, and a Monster Energy can containing 9 hours of tobacco spit left in the center console.

MTVR

LOL all the things you hated are what made Harley's the great American motorcycle..I firmly believe when they tried moving into the modern era is when they lost a major market share..40 plus years on a Harley.. probably a million miles and my next ride will be a Victory or Indian..

I had SUCH high hopes for the FTR1200, when the prototypes all looked like the FTR750 with turn signals...and then it was released after the final styling was done by someone who had clearly snorted too much Ex-Lax.

Hell, I almost bought an XT1200X, but it became clear that even after spending thousands installing a 17" front wheel, longer Ohlins shocks, Termignoni race exhaust, flat handlebar, and solid swingarm bushings, it would still be an overweight ill-handling pig slower than a stock SV650.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles