Front Locker is it needed?

WOODY2

Adventurer
There's an old story about going down a rabbit hole that may apply here. Ask some who's heard it to tell you all about it.

billiebob

If you are not rock crawling, save the money and use it for fuel to go someplace cool. The 4Runner has a very effective traction control system, and when combined with the factory rear locker, it is an excellent performer off-road.

Use caution taking any advice on the suitability of a limited slip for the front axle. We do not recommend any traction device for the front axle that is not driver selectable due to the risk of understeer, poor line holding on side slopes, etc.
This ^^ Altho I love the lockers in both axles I rarely engage them fo more than 20' at a time. They take all the drama out of short, rugged ascents AND descents but 99% of the time, an open front dif is fine.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Like what others are saying if you need to ask you dont need them. Not to say that day will never come but for now, more trail time is needed.

Personally I have been locked for many years and run trails where lockers provide safety. With that said I use my lockers more going down hill than any other time.

Built the rest of the truck out how you want and take it on a few trips and then decide. If you think you want to make a gearing change due to larger tires & added weight then I would certainly add a locker at the same time but I wouldn't open up an axle just to add a locker.

billiebob

3.73 is a near perfect ratio for 33s, and with a powerful engine there is no need to go deeper unless you are building a trailered buggy.... but for a vehicle which sees more highway and forestry road than rugged off roading and rock crawling going deeper than 3.73 will have more cons than pros.

My TJ Rubicon has 4.10s with 33s and I always wish for taller 3.73s.

I'd go with the advice several have offered, use it as an overlander for a year before committing to a regear.

tacollie

Glamper
3.73 is a near perfect ratio for 33s, and with a powerful engine there is no need to go deeper unless you are building a trailered buggy.... but for a vehicle which sees more highway and forestry road than rugged off roading and rock crawling going deeper than 3.73 will have more cons than pros.

My TJ Rubicon has 4.10s with 33s and I always wish for taller 3.73s.

I'd go with the advice several have offered, use it as an overlander for a year before committing to a regear.
Most Toyotas come from the factory geared to high for their over drive. 4.10s would have been better for a stick 4runner. 33s do better with 4.56s. 3rd gen tacos almost need 4.88s because of how high the transmission is geared. My Tundra came with 4.30s stock and it feels high because of the double overdrive.

I agree they op should get some good ~32" tires and get out and explore. I'm running open diffs. Airing down and Maxtrax get you pretty far.

billiebob

The reason to regear is to get enough lift to get moving from a stop. Double OD is there to reduce rpms, reduce emissions, quiet the ride, increase range and gas mileage. The Four Runner has plenty of power to get moving and still use the Double OD.

The Audi A8 with an 8 speed automatic, triple OD, hit top speed of 150?mph in 5th gear. It loses speed in 6th, 7th and 8th. That is typical of every car today.

In an under powered vehicle like a 4 cylinder Wrangler there is less room for compromize and yes, low gearing is needed especially if you add more rubber. Not the case with a Four Runner.

jadmt

ignore button user
Most Toyotas come from the factory geared to high for their over drive. 4.10s would have been better for a stick 4runner. 33s do better with 4.56s. 3rd gen tacos almost need 4.88s because of how high the transmission is geared. My Tundra came with 4.30s stock and it feels high because of the double overdrive.

I agree they op should get some good ~32" tires and get out and explore. I'm running open diffs. Airing down and Maxtrax get you pretty far.
can you get a 5th gen 4runner with a stick :)

geojag

I have had second and fifth gen 4runners and second gen Tacoma, the 93' could have used lower gearing; the others, just put it in 4wd low and use the skinny pedal on the right if you are having trouble launching.

You can do more harm than good with front lockers if you don't know what you are doing.

Ghost Who Walks

Ghost Who Walks
This is my opinion only,
Stick as closely from the factory as possible.
ie,
Stock tyre size(yes I'm in Australia, hence the Tyre)- plus saves shed loads on regearing, 2 inch lift(helps the CV joints), get a nice compressor(ARB etc), don't worry about the front locker unless your really going to stupid places(then you will need a fully built truck).
For instance,
I did the CREB Track in FNQLD solo and didn't let my tyres down(Hankook Dynapro ATM LT, factory(Shite)LSD, and had zero problems.
Google the CREB track and ask yourself if our honestly going to go more hardcore than this?

billiebob

If you need to ask then no. You do not need a front locker. If you start doing things that need one then it is the time.
I must disagree. I only got lockers because they came on the used Jeep I bought. Never thought I need them either but having vs not having is like winter tires vs summer tires in a snow storm.

My first experience was crossing a winter windrow diagonally and it was frozen harder than I anticipated. I ended up with 2 tires stuffed and 2 tires hanging, spinning uselessly. Eventually I realized, oh it has lockers. Engage the lockers and idle off the windrow. Lockers are more way more valuable than a winch.

Once you have lockers, both ends, you will never want to be without them. If you have never had lockers you might not know how useful they really are.

Last edited:

billiebob

Here are lockers working on the highway, This was his 4th run. He spun out 3 times by the light post and backed up to start again.
I use my lockers in my TJ often in the same conditions.

Red90

Adventurer
I must disagree. I only got lockers because they came on the used Jeep I bought. Never thought I need them either but having vs not having is like winter tires vs summer tires in a snow storm.

My first experience was crossing a winter windrow diagonally and it was frozen harder than I anticipated. I ended up with 2 tires stuffed and 2 tires hanging, spinning uselessly. Eventually I realized, oh it has lockers. Engage the lockers and idle off the windrow. Lockers are more way more valuable than a winch.

Once you have lockers, both ends, you will never want to be without them. If you have never had lockers you might not know how useful they really are.

A rear locker is 90% of it. A front adds only a little. But you need the experience seeing different rigs and different drivers succeed or fail over many different obstacles to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles