1977 GMC Jimmy High Sierra

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
The battery that came in this thing was SMALL, I am putting a group 31 battery in but it wont fit the original tray, plus the original tray while not rusted clean through... wasnt in the best shape. I am using 1/8" angle iron and some sheet metal to build a new tray.

I made my supporting bracket 90 degrees, then realized the core support is not straight up and down so I had to modify it.
WvNQFe2.jpg

final test fit before "paint", im actually using a rubber undercoating.
Hshx1Ne.jpg

D0QEFom.jpg

only issue is that the original overflow bottle wont fit now so I will get a smaller aftermarket one.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
What a weekend!

I was sick Friday, Saturday the mega cab eats the wiring for the fan clutch and i round off the fan clutch trying to remove it (even with the fan clutch tools). After looking at it we think the fan ate the wiring before we even owned it. Then the water pump in the TJ goes out. I did however build some battery cables for the Jimmy.

Sunday I replaced the TJ water pump, worked with our livestock and cleaned stalls but i was able to go mount the battery tray and atleast hook up 3 of my new cables.

2 grounds and one power to the ford starter solenoid.

olxtGNj.jpg

WvaWNC5.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Warpath could you please enlighten me as to why you would put Fruad anything in your fine GM rig? Cheers, Chilli... ?

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Warpath could you please enlighten me as to why you would put Fruad anything in your fine GM rig? Cheers, Chilli... ?

Because i have yet to see a GM remote starter solenoid. Moving the starter solenoid to the inner fender away from the heat of the exhaust cures heat sink issues. While not everyone has had heat sink issues with their starters, some do.

(and really its an autozone solenoid lol)

1stDeuce

Explorer
Dad had a '79 shortobox Chevy when I was a kid. 400/400/203. We put lockout hubs on it and pulled the front driveshaft for a month or so one summer. Mileage did not change, but he burned about 10k miles off the rear tires in about 1000 miles that month. :) I'll agree, no reason to convert a good 203 into part time.

Beautiful survivor truck!!!

buffy

My '78 K5 runs great with the NP 203. I'd also recommend preserving the original function of the NP203. I typically run 85 on interstate. I average 10mpg on 35s. If you spend a little time cleaning it up, you'll have no problems.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Dad had a '79 shortobox Chevy when I was a kid. 400/400/203. We put lockout hubs on it and pulled the front driveshaft for a month or so one summer. Mileage did not change, but he burned about 10k miles off the rear tires in about 1000 miles that month. :) I'll agree, no reason to convert a good 203 into part time.

Beautiful survivor truck!!!

I ended up just sending the lockout hubs and part time kit back, what showed up was not good, the part time kit pieces had building material still on it. still trying to decide what route to go with this, thought about a fuel injection kit and a 700R4 for better mileage but then there is the ever popular LS/4L60E combos.

right now i just need to finish up the battery upgrade so i can start driving it and see what is actually needed.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I just bought a 2009 Silverado 2500 with a 6.0L and 6L90 trans. Gotta say the 6 speed is WAY nicer to drive than my 6.0L/4L80 truck... Just food for thought. :)
Honestly, even with a nice 5.3 and overdrive, it's not going to get much better mileage. It's a brick... :)

400's that still run are rare as hen's teeth these days. I'd say if you want to make it easier to drive, ditch the carb and toss a TBI setup on it. Keeps it looking stock, but with much better driveability. Swap the T400 for a 4L80E and you've got a pretty good "sleeper" powertrain, with that distinctive 400 small block sound. :)

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I just bought a 2009 Silverado 2500 with a 6.0L and 6L90 trans. Gotta say the 6 speed is WAY nicer to drive than my 6.0L/4L80 truck... Just food for thought. :)
Honestly, even with a nice 5.3 and overdrive, it's not going to get much better mileage. It's a brick... :)

400's that still run are rare as hen's teeth these days. I'd say if you want to make it easier to drive, ditch the carb and toss a TBI setup on it. Keeps it looking stock, but with much better driveability. Swap the T400 for a 4L80E and you've got a pretty good "sleeper" powertrain, with that distinctive 400 small block sound. :)

I was looking at a Holley Sniper EFI kit, more tune-able that adapting a stock GM TBI

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I am seriously thinking about selling this, I just cringe every time i think about modifying it or smacking it on a tree/rock. its too straight and rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles