1st gen Tundra frames

ADVNOMAD

Researching 1st gen Tundra builds as a possible future platform- Especially like “toyotech’s” build thread. I’ve read where the dreaded Toyota frame recall hit the Tundra too. I recently traded in a dbl cab Trd 4wd 02 TACOMA for a new CHR for the wife after I found out the factory wouldn’t replace my frame.

Can I expect to be reasonably safe looking at 04-06 Tundra’s? interested in the access cab version.

Kpack

Adventurer
Just crawl under the truck before you buy one and inspect the frame. It should be pretty easy to see if there are significant issues. Unless the previous owner has been actively taking care of the frame there will likely be surface rust, which isn't a huge deal. Mine had a bunch of that. It took a lot of work, but mine cleaned up fine.

Delamination and holes are not good. I don't think that Toyota is doing any more frame replacements, so if you see something questionable then probably best not to bother with it.

ADVNOMAD

The delamination and holes is what eventually killed my 02 Taco. Even after the dealer applied warranty sealer.

D

Deleted member 9101

It all depends on where the truck was from. I had my 2002 for 10 years and the frame was rust free.

Reactions: GTV

tennesseewj

Observer
yup. Buy in TX, NM, AZ... Never buy north of the mason-dixon line.
Mason Dixon is a lot higher than you think. KY and VA trucks would be included in that and they are likely to have trash frames.

At any rate, trucks get moved all over the nation anymore via auto auctions and relatively cheap transport options. Start every vehicle inquiry but requesting undercarriage photos. If they don't cooperate, you know the answer!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Toyaddict

I would suggest putting any truck you're considering purchasing on a lift and really look it over. I laid under mine with a flashlight at the dealer but have since found more rust than I'd like while doing maintenance etc.

The way they rust when exposed to salt seems to be worse than other makes, the Tundra frames start flaking off chunks where the Chevys just have a nice light surface rust, conversely the tundra body's seem to hold up better. Obviously anecdotal but it's what I've noticed. I keep mine covered in fluid film to stop what rust there is until I have time to clean it up.

smokeysevin

Observer
In particular, check where the reinforcement plates are on the frames, check where things are riveted, and check where water/dirt can collect.

My truck is a Texas truck and has rust where the braces and mounts attach.

Sean

yfarm

Observer
Check the carfax where vehicle was previously titled and stay away from salt belt states. Son bought a new 4runner when he lived in Miami, lived in South Beach, when tides are high you get sea water on the streets. He was meticulous in keeping the car clean, trade it after 4 yars on a new one, front skid plate has rust hole through skid plate. Undercarriage looked like a midwest car. Have seen Lambos and Ferraris driving through water throwing up a sheet 10 ft high covering car. Same thing with vehicles used regularly on the beach. Winter Texans camp on the beach at South Padre, new trailer- 3 winters on the beach - axle failures going home after 3rd season. Salt kills.

bkg

Explorer
Mason Dixon is a lot higher than you think. KY and VA trucks would be included in that and they are likely to have trash frames.

At any rate, trucks get moved all over the nation anymore via auto auctions and relatively cheap transport options. Start every vehicle inquiry but requesting undercarriage photos. If they don't cooperate, you know the answer!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm traditionally okay with mid-Kentucky. Up around Cincinnati, maybe not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles