Do you use wheel spacers for wheeling?

PioneerOverland

Curious how many of you use wheel spacers to widen you wheel base for wheeling. If so what size?

I want to make sure I have something that won't damage anything even if I am doing more aggressive wheeling.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Yupp, run a 35mm spacer on my wagon for a little more stability. I have hub centric style spaces so that wheel is locked on pretty tight. I normally have to boot them off so there is no chance on them coming loose.

overall about 5000kms on Oz and 25000kms in Africa and zero issues. I run a heavy load to. 3100kgs fully loaded on a 6 stud pattern.
I don't see any issues besides the possibility of premature bearing failure which would happen with a different offset wheel aynways.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I had them on the rear of my old Chevy to bring the wheels out to match the fronts, no problems.
Those Chevys had a wider front track from the factory for some reason.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
My 2007 E350 Quigley 4x4 conversion has them on the rear axle, installed by Quigley. The spacers are used to convert the OEM van lug pattern of 8 X 6.5" to 8 X 170mm to match the Superduty front axle they installed. Hasn't been a problem in the 13 years I've owned the van and it sees mainly dirt, not much highway.

billiebob

If a lug nut is loose there will be no dust packed into the joint at the lug nut and rim, obvious if you look at it.
The issue with spacers is the lug nuts securing the spacer are hidden, you will have no clue if those nuts are rattling loose.

tacollie

Glamper
I've run them on two vehicles. I always used hub centric spacers. I checked torque when I would rotate tires. I never had issues with them loosening. Just like wheels with less off set they will increase wear on wheel bearings. It may not be an issue but it is something to keep in mind. I would run them again.

CampStewart

Observer
If a lug nut is loose there will be no dust packed into the joint at the lug nut and rim, obvious if you look at it.
The issue with spacers is the lug nuts securing the spacer are hidden, you will have no clue if those nuts are rattling loose.
Do you have issues with lug nuts coming loose on wheels that do not have spacers?

There seem to be 2 groups, one that have used them without any issues, and another group that has never used them, never will, and will bad mouth them all day long. Throughout the years I have seen some spacers that I would not trust due to crappy materials and construction and some that look like they could resist a nuke. American OEM have essentially used bolt on spacers to convert from single to dually style on front axles.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Biliebob, as a mechanical engineer working in the auto and transportation industry, I have to say CampStewart made some very logical points. I often like your posts, but today tou seem to be the one looking for an argument... Posts can disagree without being argumentative.

To another point above, most dually trucks have a ~6" spacer bolted onto the front axle. I'd venture that almost nobody ever checks the nuts that bolt the spacer on. I've never heard of one coming off. That's a pretty good indication that when properly installed, spacers don't just "rattle loose".

Nor do wheels.

Correctly installed and torqued lug nuts will NEVER rattle loose. I submit to you that a wheel that "rattled loose" was actually installed incorrectly in some way. I have seen broken studs because people didn't remove the brake retaining clips when installing wheels with a flat face, or because someone "tightened" with lugs with a battery powered impact and they worked loose due to lack of torque, or because they didn't tighten them at all. But a cone seat lug nut will NOT "rattle" loose when properly torqued. Ever. I submit that anything that can "rattle" was not torqued properly in the first place.

Wheel bearing issues aside, I have also used wheel spacers to widen a rear axle that was a bit narrow with NO ISSUES, including really heavy occasional loading. (3/4 ton truck). Because of bearing issues, I would NOT run excessively wide spacers on anything, but I'm comfortable with 1.25-1.5" spacers where needed.

As a final thought, if you run significantly taller tires on OE wheels, spacers actually can be used to correct the scrub radius, which goes more negative as the tires get taller.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Yes. Hub centric rear spacers to convert rear 8x6.5" to 8x170mm to match front axle. The spacers have been on for over 35k miles and it's been driven over some of the roughest roads in the US and Baja. They are high quality and made from bearing steel, so I trust them.
IMG_0644_heic-L.jpg

IMG_3532-L.jpg

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94