Black Series HQ Tips, Tricks, and Learning.....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Could Matt have used the yankum rope off the rear trailer pull points? He mentioned he didn’t want to try it given it could stress something.
Thoughts?

Bikepals

I guess I’m surprised that a Nissan is pulling an HQ19. I thought I was taking a chance pulling my HQ15 with a Canyon diesel rated for a max 7600 lbs. I looked up the Nissan pro and it’s rated for around 6300 lbs.
I go to Utah all the time. Guess I better remember to take my traction boards with me and also get this guys phone number.
I also noticed he still had a Equalizer hitch with the bars still on going off road. Not a good idea.

HQ15fan

Bikepedals, if you read the youtube comments a lot of people point out what you said, the Nissan is probably over its max. Calicamper, the tow person (Matt) doesn't know these trailers so he's being conservative, and therefore not use the back recovery points. Last thing he wants to do is rip a customer trailer into two pieces :) Another thing that you could do if this ever happens to you, is to unhook the trailer, get the car out (somehow) and then pull the trailer out backwards. If you do that, make sure you lower your jockey wheel all the way, so it is as strong as possible. If you leave it up, much higher chance it'll snap.

Robbrown27

Installed the McHitch yesterday along with an Equalizer hitch. I installed the McHitch under the hitch plate so I could get the trailer level. When I go off road I will take the stabilizer bars off.
I installed mine the same way a couple weeks ago. I didn’t do the equalizer, I have airbags. Have you had a chance to tow with it yet? Any undesirable effects? I only had the chance to hitch mine up behind the Tundra, I really like the higher tongue height.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Bikepedals, if you read the youtube comments a lot of people point out what you said, the Nissan is probably over its max. Calicamper, the tow person (Matt) doesn't know these trailers so he's being conservative, and therefore not use the back recovery points. Last thing he wants to do is rip a customer trailer into two pieces :) Another thing that you could do if this ever happens to you, is to unhook the trailer, get the car out (somehow) and then pull the trailer out backwards. If you do that, make sure you lower your jockey wheel all the way, so it is as strong as possible. If you leave it up, much higher chance it'll snap.
Everyone I know that’s unhooked a trailer including my self in this situation has regretted it. The tow guys absolutely hate it when people unhook trailers on stuck rigs. So I know that would be a really bad idea.
This case seemed odd to me regarding the tow rig vs trailer choice especially in the RV world. Towing a $50,000 rv with a $18,000 truck lol.

Bikepals

I installed mine the same way a couple weeks ago. I didn’t do the equalizer, I have airbags. Have you had a chance to tow with it yet? Any undesirable effects? I only had the chance to hitch mine up behind the Tundra, I really like the higher tongue height.
I have only towed the trailer a few miles after the McHitch and Equilizer installation. I have towed it with the stabilizer bars and without and it tows really well both ways. My trailer was very nose down from the dealer. My calculation was about 5 inches down. This caused the truck to bounce on rough roads and raised the nose of the truck up. When I leveled the trailer and installed the McHitch the nose of the truck only came up 3/4 inch so I may have wasted money on the Equalizer hitch. With the Equalizer hitch (bars installed) the truck is level and very firm when towing and I will probably use it when traveling anyway. I would rather be safe than sorry. It will also be good to have it in windy conditions to prevent sway. Off road the bars will come off.

Last edited:

Junkyardrules

I guess I’m surprised that a Nissan is pulling an HQ19. I thought I was taking a chance pulling my HQ15 with a Canyon diesel rated for a max 7600 lbs. I looked up the Nissan pro and it’s rated for around 6300 lbs.
I go to Utah all the time. Guess I better remember to take my traction boards with me and also get this guys phone number.
I also noticed he still had a Equalizer hitch with the bars still on going off road. Not a good idea.
The Frontier owner is pulling an HQ15 but I agree with you, still a lot of trailer for a small truck. I've been following Matt's off road channel for awhile and have learned much from watching other people get stuck.

I have the HQ15 (picked it up last month from Shane) and use a 2019 Ford Raptor for my tow vehicle. While I was picking my trailer up, another customer was testing his Gladiator pulling an HQ15 and he stated it pulled it with no issues.
I guess it's personal preference but I'd rather have a 1/2 ton truck or larger.

I should also introduce myself to the Black series owners group while I'm here posting! I'm from Las Vegas and have tent camped my entire life, mostly in Southern Utah. Now that my kids are out of the house, my wife and I decided we want to camp more comfortably, enter the HQ15. I waited almost a year for my HQ15 because I wanted a cassette toilet. For me, worth the wait.

I've learned SO much from many on this forum, especially the Black Series owners so I'd like to personally thank all of you for your tips and input. Online forums can be an unforgiving place so I especially appreciate those that are honest and respectful.

Jeff from Vegas

Bikepals

The Frontier owner is pulling an HQ15 but I agree with you, still a lot of trailer for a small truck. I've been following Matt's off road channel for awhile and have learned much from watching other people get stuck.

I have the HQ15 (picked it up last month from Shane) and use a 2019 Ford Raptor for my tow vehicle. While I was picking my trailer up, another customer was testing his Gladiator pulling an HQ15 and he stated it pulled it with no issues.
I guess it's personal preference but I'd rather have a 1/2 ton truck or larger.

I should also introduce myself to the Black series owners group while I'm here posting! I'm from Las Vegas and have tent camped my entire life, mostly in Southern Utah. Now that my kids are out of the house, my wife and I decided we want to camp more comfortably, enter the HQ15. I waited almost a year for my HQ15 because I wanted a cassette toilet. For me, worth the wait.

I've learned SO much from many on this forum, especially the Black Series owners so I'd like to personally thank all of you for your tips and input. Online forums can be an unforgiving place so I especially appreciate those that are honest and respectful.

Jeff from Vegas
Not sure why I saw a HQ19??
I thought about getting a cassette toilet but I decided to put in a Natures Head composting toilet, see my previous posts. The black tank wash out served as both a vent and as a way to plumb the urine into the black tank. It works great. I did not have to drill any holes!
Love the looks of the Ford Raptor but my criteria for a truck was it must fit in my garage so I finally ended up with a GMC Canyon AT diesel. So far I love it. It pulls my HQ15 very well. Have fun and maybe we will see you in Utah.

Junkyardrules

I saw your composting toilet install, very impressive. I enjoy seeing how everyone outfits their trailer to fit their needs.
Before the Raptor, I had a diesel Colorado ZR2. If I had a Z71 with the higher tow rating, I might have kept it as a tow vehicle. Of all the midsize trucks, I’d say your choice of a diesel Canyon is a solid one. The 2.8L duramax is a great motor and I miss getting decent fuel mileage.

Bikepals

Has anyone had issues with the water gauges (tanks) not being accurate. I put 5 gallons in my drinking tank (16 gallon Capacity) and it still reads 0. My general tank will go to 0 and I have measured 10 gallons out of it. My dealership will work on it but they say Black Series is shut down so they can’t get any parts if needed.

HQ15fan

Has anyone had issues with the water gauges (tanks) not being accurate. I put 5 gallons in my drinking tank (16 gallon Capacity) and it still reads 0. My general tank will go to 0 and I have measured 10 gallons out of it. My dealership will work on it but they say Black Series is shut down so they can’t get any parts if needed.

The gauges are cool in that they are digital, but I strongly suspect the sensors in the tank are the same as in any trailer. I.e. there are only a few sensors, so you get the discrete levels. Mine seems to go from 24% to 50% to 74% to full.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior