TetonX Hybrid

dcg141

Adventurer
Just got ours last weekend.
View attachment 574694

A couple of new options:

40 gallons of water with baffle balls in the tank to eliminate the free surface effect and keep it upright:
View attachment 574692

This Timbren suspension is the 2 inch lift version (which actually gave it 3 inches of lift):

View attachment 574712

View attachment 574713

View attachment 574695

View attachment 574696
(I'm 6 ft tall for scale)

The garage door is 8' 4" - the rack basket adds 7" so without that, it would generally fit under an 8' door
View attachment 574697

Standard Queen bed oriented fore/aft so nobody has to crawl over someone to get in and out
View attachment 574709

Other observations:
- Furnace was great - no condensation overnight with outside temps right around freezing - and the return air ducting keeps the water tank from freezing
- I was surprised how little power the inverter draws when there's no load
- The final plumbing to the sink doesn't get heated by the furnace return air, so I left the Truma on and recirculating through the night - didn't seem to have a big impact on the battery overnight
- Narrow enough that I didn't need extended side mirrors on the 4 runner - maybe on long, freeway trips
- It's just under 3000 lbs - V8 in the T4R did well on the way up to 6500' - probably sticking with 4th gear tops on hills most of the time though
Is that rear hitch under the spare tire built into the frame? Is there anything you have that tells you its weight limit?

Jafrench

Observer
Not composite yet. Personally, I'd probably prefer poplar because it can be modified more easily. I'm in AZ and don't have to worry much about moisture though.

Seems like composite would require framing anywhere there was a bulkhead or platform or shelf. and framing mods to support any changes like this. I guess you're familiar with how to deal with that because of the Taxa though?
Certainly for any large/heavy hanging item like a shelf structural frame support would be important. I'm not too worried about moisture either, here in Colorado. The weight savings of composite is no small thing though. Frankly, I'll take it however they build it. As for after the fact modifications to a composite panel, depending on the weight of what I hung, I just used long through bolts with or without aluminum bar stock on either side of the panel for additional support. It's worked well so far but I'll report back when something falls off driving down the highway en route to camping adventure.

Vondex

We just picked up a used 2018 and could not be 20200316_165302.jpghappier. The first night was just above freezing and it stayed warm with minimal use of the heater. Our tow vehicle is a diesel Colorado and it was easy to forget it was back there. From what I have seen there is nothing else like the Teton Hybrid.

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Is that rear hitch under the spare tire built into the frame? Is there anything you have that tells you its weight limit?

The hitch is not built into the frame, just into the rear bumper. I forget the exact number that Kyle & Lindsay told me but it’s around 100 pounds. So suitable for a bike rack or something similar.

Jafrench

Observer
@Vondex, how did you come upon a used Hybrid? Is that from an owner who is upgrading to a newer version with more bells and whistles? Just surprised to see a used one available.

Wendell-R

The rear bumper is essentially part of the frame although because of the angle, the hitch doesn't connect to the forward cross members like the tongue does.
IMG_1478.jpg

The spare tire mounts to the receiver, but doesn't really add much strength to it.
DSCF1295.jpg

Probably good for bike racks, but you might need an extender to get past the spare tire depending on the rack. I think TetonX recommends putting S-Track on the back wall if you want a bike rack on there but I got the impression that it was to keep the bikes from jiggling around more than to handle the weight (they use Kuat racks themselves which I think use a hitch pin - maybe an anti-rattle adaptor inside the receiver would also help).

Just for kicks, I popped a rack on there and climbed on (160 lbs for me and 45 lbs for the rack) - I bounced up and down a bit - totally solid - the suspension on the trailer moved, but the rack/hitch/frame didn't. The 1-Up racks don't use the hitch pin, they have an expansion clamp inside the receiver that makes the connection more solid.
DSCF1296.jpgIMG_1478.jpgDSCF1295.jpgDSCF1296.jpg

Last edited:

Jafrench

Observer
The spare tire mounts to the receiver, but doesn't really add much strength to it.
I'm no structural engineer but simple physics would suggest the spare tire/mount does add a bit of weight counterbalance to whatever load would be put in the receiver. Of course it still relies on the quality of the weld from receiver to frame/bumper structure. A little triangulated plate/tube support below the receiver to the crossmember would be a cheap, easy addition for a little more piece of mind.

Glad to see the 1up on there. Same rack that I have. And it looks like a bike could fit in the forward most tray without an extension, maybe?

Wendell-R

@Jafrench Yeah, you can definitely get 2 bikes on without an extension. The rack has quite a long tube and since it doesn't use the hitch pin, it can be positioned anywhere as long as there's enough overlap. I didn't have to slide it in as far as I did.

The pedal on the forward bike might need to be positioned in the spare wheel correctly depending on how big the pedals are - I don't have platform pedals, so that would make it easier.

Vondex

@Vondex, how did you come upon a used Hybrid? Is that from an owner who is upgrading to a newer version with more bells and whistles? Just surprised to see a used one available.
I think it may be the first used one that came available, I was just as surprised as you. I found it advertised on Facebook and I think it may have been listed on the portal here as well.

Vondex

I will say it was in perfect condition, just really lucky to get it. We had a 2 day drive home after picking it up and it towed great. No issues in high wind. I can not recommend one enough at this point.

Wendell-R

Put an ARK XO750 on it. Mostly in case I had to winch it to turn it around in a tight spot, but it's really handy in the garage too.
DSCF1344.jpg

DSCF1347.jpg

DSCF1346.jpg

I trimmed an inch off both the top an bottom of the mounting bracket to give it better clearance
DSCF1342.jpg

DSCF1315.jpg

DSCF1348.jpg

DSCF1344.jpgDSCF1347.jpgDSCF1346.jpgDSCF1342.jpgDSCF1315.jpgDSCF1348.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles