Life With A Supercharged RRS For an Overland Rig

Colorofkris

Nice rig! My parents both had lr3’s and I do love them, really wanted on to camp out in the back but had a hard time finding one in reasonable shape. I’m really happy with the sport though and it’s pretty cool that they are becoming more common out and about with offroad goodies! Can’t wait to get mine to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorofkris

March Update-

March was going to be a pretty good month. Had a 9 day tripped plan going to the Macon cherry blossom festival and then 5 days in the mountains of north Georgia. Covid 19 canceled the festival so it shortened our trip, shortly after everything else escalated and we decided to cancel all together. That being said it was probably a good move, yesterday morning it finally happened. Cranked up the rover to go to work and engine light came on as well as restricted performance. Code read as pictured below and everything points to the timing chains. Took me about an hour to find a shop locally that is willing to do them, closest place I could find was the Land Rover dealer in Jacksonville Florida which is almost 2 hours away. Going into the shop Monday.
9ccd93cf419352ad7ac037b0668a9301.jpg

c8cdaa4a49fd90e909a8364e7ccd3ec5.jpg

spikemd

Explorer
Ouch! What did they quote you to do the timing tensioners? I have an L322 5.0 SC and am worried about that eventual failure. I got such a good deal on it though, I think it is worth it. Such a great driving vehicle. I have other trucks go bash in the rocks.

Colorofkris

Ouch! What did they quote you to do the timing tensioners? I have an L322 5.0 SC and am worried about that eventual failure. I got such a good deal on it though, I think it is worth it. Such a great driving vehicle. I have other trucks go bash in the rocks.

No quote yet, taking it Monday for diagnosis and to talk about it. I’m planning on about 4K but hoping way less. Just trying to stay real. I will update Monday most likely with what they say. The wife an I were considering getting rid of it after but I feel there’s not much of a point, we got it for a great deal and love the truck. Still have a lot I need to dump into it to get it where I want it but patience is the name of the game. I figured the repair was going to come at sometime anyways. It’s will be nice to be worry free though (at least on the motor end).

soflorovers

No quote yet, taking it Monday for diagnosis and to talk about it. I’m planning on about 4K but hoping way less. Just trying to stay real. I will update Monday most likely with what they say. The wife an I were considering getting rid of it after but I feel there’s not much of a point, we got it for a great deal and love the truck. Still have a lot I need to dump into it to get it where I want it but patience is the name of the game. I figured the repair was going to come at sometime anyways. It’s will be nice to be worry free though (at least on the motor end).

No point in dumping it. Once you do the chains, you've attacked the main weak point of the 5.0 AJV8. At the end of the day, everything needs some work. Why not ride this one out? If you're still wanting to dump it, let me know and I'd love to chat (Either pre or post repairs).

Colorofkris

No point in dumping it. Once you do the chains, you've attacked the main weak point of the 5.0 AJV8. At the end of the day, everything needs some work. Why not ride this one out? If you're still wanting to dump it, let me know and I'd love to chat (Either pre or post repairs).

I agree, not much point in dumping it after the repair, I do really love the rover and being that every vehicle has it quirks it is what it is. I took it to a shop this morning to get it checked out. Currently waiting on a quote to see what the cost is going to be, just trying to figure out how to drop that much $$ into a repair currently.

soflorovers

I agree, not much point in dumping it after the repair, I do really love the rover and being that every vehicle has it quirks it is what it is. I took it to a shop this morning to get it checked out. Currently waiting on a quote to see what the cost is going to be, just trying to figure out how to drop that much $$ into a repair currently.

Totally understand. Because the LR3 isn't my DD, it's currently parked and waiting its turn for various repairs.

Colorofkris

Quick run down of the past week since the rover took a poop. Brought it to a shop Monday locally here in southeast ga that said they could do the job, it’s a performance shop and very well rated so I was feeling pretty good about it. Later that day the shop called me and said they aren’t going to be able to do it. They did say it was deff a timing chain issue, however due to the tools needed and the chance they would never see one again they decided not to do it due to the cost.

Thank fully Larry from British 4x4 in Durham NC was already contacting me from reading this forum and has been super helpful in getting my rover to Durham to get it fixed.

Rover is supposed to leave today (Friday 3/27/2020), was supposed to leave yesterday but there was an issue with getting a truck in my direction or something. I’m getting it shipped there and most likely driving up next week to pick it up and bring it home. It’s a good chunk of change between the timing job and transportation but well worth it, and a good piece of mind. I do intend to keep the rover after all is said and done.

Big shout out to Larry and British 4x4 again, I’m really looking forward to getting this done and so far you have been great.

I will update again next week when I know more.

Last edited:

Colorofkris

April Update-

The Range is back in the drive way and she is running beautifully. This is going to be a pretty stout update, I am going to give the full run down of my timing chain experience from start to finish being that I didn't do a good job updating as I went. This will include Pictures and cost of everything.

March 24th I contacted Larry back from British 4x4 after he had reached out over the initial post about the timing issue on here. This is the initial quote for the timing job that he does. For what I have seen online this was a pretty dang good price. Most of what I see runs into the high 4s and Ive one seen some bills go up into the 7s. I think Land Rover does the job for roughly 9 (Land Rover was the only place near me that would do the timing job btw, that was a fat no lol). After I committed to the quote I set up transportation. The other part about this quote that got me excited for the price is that it included the new updated water pump as well as the new coolant pipes which are both the other known weak points of these motors. So all in one shot this would eliminate the 3 biggest worry points on the rover, which if you own and know rovers peace of mind is everything. Things that go wrong are when's not ifs.
1586119738649.png
1586123139398.png

27th Transportation Picked up the Rover around 3 in the afternoon. Total cost of transportation was $452 which was one way from Brunswick Ga to Durham NC.
This was the Range Saying bye bye.
IMG_Apr42020at83230PM.jpg

Saturday the Rover arrived at British 4x4 in Durham, NC. Even though The shop was closed Larry met up with he transportation truck and did the delivery inspection.

Monday they got to work. They did the diagnosis and determined the chains were most certainly the issue. They sent me this which was my chain slop (link down below). (yes this is my rover)

Got a text in the afternoon with some pictures saying everything was broken down and ready for the new chains. The 2nd Picture was one of the tensioners and guides that causes the issue. IMG_Apr42020at83128PM.jpg
IMG_Apr42020at83334PM.jpg

He also updated me letting me know that there were a few other issues he had found that he wanted to address. Later he sent me pictures of those parts and an updated cost, which I thought was pretty cool. This included 1 injector that had broken, all new spark plugs, and the back coolant line. Sparks plugs were another maintenance item on my long list of things to do that got taken care of which to me is another win.
1586123039381.png
1586123069789.png

IMG_Apr42020at83428PM.jpg
IMG_Apr42020at83149PM.jpg
IMG_Apr42020at83256PM.jpg

Those were the only other issues they found with the motor and Tuesday they buttoned it back up. Tuesday the Wife and I began to make our plans amidst the COVID19 pandemic, the goal was to grab the truck Thursday and stay in Durham. For the cost of transporting it back we could get a rental, drive up to durham which is about 6 hours, rent a hotel for a night and head back. This would give us a pretty good shake down run on the rover and make sure everything was running right and we wouldn't have any issues.

Wednesday morning I got a text from Larry saying the rover had been running for about 20 minutes and it was running great. This was awesome news! We got all packed up wed night and were excited to go pick up the rover in the morning.

CONT in Next post

April Update-

The Range is back in the drive way and she is running beautifully. This is going to be a pretty stout update, I am going to give the full run down of my timing chain experience from start to finish being that I didn't do a good job updating as I went. This will include Pictures and cost of everything.

March 24th I contacted Larry back from British 4x4 after he had reached out over the initial post about the timing issue on here. This is the initial quote for the timing job that he does. For what I have seen online this was a pretty dang good price. Most of what I see runs into the high 4s and Ive one seen some bills go up into the 7s. I think Land Rover does the job for roughly 9 (Land Rover was the only place near me that would do the timing job btw, that was a fat no lol). After I committed to the quote I set up transportation. The other part about this quote that got me excited for the price is that it included the new updated water pump as well as the new coolant pipes which are both the other known weak points of these motors. So all in one shot this would eliminate the 3 biggest worry points on the rover, which if you own and know rovers peace of mind is everything. Things that go wrong are when's not ifs.
View attachment 577523
View attachment 577531

27th Transportation Picked up the Rover around 3 in the afternoon. Total cost of transportation was $452 which was one way from Brunswick Ga to Durham NC.
This was the Range Saying bye bye.
View attachment 577519

Saturday the Rover arrived at British 4x4 in Durham, NC. Even though The shop was closed Larry met up with he transportation truck and did the delivery inspection.

Monday they got to work. They did the diagnosis and determined the chains were most certainly the issue. They sent me this which was my chain slop (link down below). (yes this is my rover)

Got a text in the afternoon with some pictures saying everything was broken down and ready for the new chains. The 2nd Picture was one of the tensioners and guides that causes the issue. View attachment 577524
View attachment 577525

He also updated me letting me know that there were a few other issues he had found that he wanted to address. Later he sent me pictures of those parts and an updated cost, which I thought was pretty cool. This included 1 injector that had broken, all new spark plugs, and the back coolant line. Sparks plugs were another maintenance item on my long list of things to do that got taken care of which to me is another win.
View attachment 577529
View attachment 577530

View attachment 577526
View attachment 577527
View attachment 577528

Those were the only other issues they found with the motor and Tuesday they buttoned it back up. Tuesday the Wife and I began to make our plans amidst the COVID19 pandemic, the goal was to grab the truck Thursday and stay in Durham. For the cost of transporting it back we could get a rental, drive up to durham which is about 6 hours, rent a hotel for a night and head back. This would give us a pretty good shake down run on the rover and make sure everything was running right and we wouldn't have any issues.

Wednesday morning I got a text from Larry saying the rover had been running for about 20 minutes and it was running great. This was awesome news! We got all packed up wed night and were excited to go pick up the rover in the morning.

CONT in Next post

The labor cost alone was worth his price for a professional job; congrats on getting your wagon back. The broken injector probably happened on removal as those things are in there and most likely have been since production.

Rover on my friend; Rover On!

Colorofkris

Thursday morning we got a rental car (convertible mustang) which was the 4cyl turbo....******** that thing is boring compared to the rover. The whole 6 hours the wife listened to me complain about how lack luster it was and how excited I was to just drive the rover and something that actually got up and went. (enough complaining about the mustang lol). Anyways, on our way out of town Larry shot me a text about my front suspension, I have been planning on tackling that project on my own in time so I texted him back letting him know that I wasn't worried about it yet. However after thinking about it for a few minutes I gave him a call and got a run down on the price for replacing the front 2 leaking shocks. To do them myself I was looking at about $1700-$2000 with the GAP tool and shocks, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get an estimate. He came back with 400 a shock and 200 per in labor. I couldn't pass up the price and too him I'm on my way if he can get them on by the time we got up there then yeah. Needless to say a few hours later he sent me a picture of this...
IMG_Apr42020at83350PM.jpg

Thursday around 3p.m. we arrived at British 4x4 in Durham and man was it a beautiful sight. My rover was sitting out front surrounded by Range Rover Classics, Defenders, and Discoveries. It was like Disney World to me. Staying focused long enough to go inside and pay was hard. That being said All said in done here is the final cost write up...IMG_Apr52020at61053PM.jpgIMG_Apr52020at61116PM.jpg

After Paying I had my wife get in the rover to drive to the rental car place to drop of the shitstang. She went to pass me and I hear an odd tick coming from the rover, so I went back in and grabbed Larry to take a look at it. He looked into and found that the steering pump pulley was bent told me and the wife to give him about an hour and he would sort it out, we did have to drop off the rental though so he let us borrow this bad boy to drop it off...
IMG_Apr52020at61736PM.jpg

Which was terrible....now I want an old Range Rover..so thanks for that, as if wanting another discovery is bad enough lol. Seriously though that was really cool of them because they really didn't have to. We Dropped off the car and shortly after our return they had the pulley swapped and the Rover sounded great. Only down side to waiting around was looking at this...
IMG_Apr52020at64409PM.jpg

That thing is sweet, and supercharged too! (wish I could snorkel mine, looks so cool!) The lr3 infant of it was pretty sweet too.

Anyways, Rover was all finished up and man did it run like a champ. She was pulling strong, suspension felt great, ran smooth, just all around great. I was so excited to have it back. The 6 hour drive back was wonderful, comfortable, and performed perfectly. Here are some pics from the return...IMG_Apr42020at83450PM.jpg
IMG_Apr42020at83518PM.jpg

Now that she's home she needs a bath and I am thinking about ordering a lift now that the suspension is fixed.

My take away from everything was dang this things can be a pretty penny, but once the work is done I feel good about it. Im glad to have all the work done because I love this truck. Big shout out to Larryat British 4x4 in Durham NC. He has done some top notch work and was great every step of the way. The level of communication was most definitely the best part and gave me a big peace of mind.

If you are ever in need of some work on your rover give Larry a shout. If you need your timing chains done then deff give Larry a shout. Link to their site below

Attachments

• IMG_Apr42020at83450PM.jpg
    IMG_Apr42020at83450PM.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 25

Colorofkris

The labor cost alone was worth his price for a professional job; congrats on getting your wagon back. The broken injector probably happened on removal as those things are in there and most likely have been since production.

Rover on my friend; Rover On!

Most certainly, worth every penny to me! I figured on the injector, I expected a few things to be broken upon removal.

Colorofkris

April Update- Covid-19 has shut down officially the second planned camp trip for the year! As a celebratory “yay I did not die” in my car accident last year, I had planned a backpacking trip with a group of friends down in Florida for the 1 year crashaversary. With all the shut downs we decided to hold off on the trip.

On a good note I did order a set of proud rhino lift rods and installed them. I did a tire rotation as well but that’s what ever. Nothing to crazy but just excited about that update. I did see the negative side of the lift rods after I put them on vs using the gap tool. I do plan on leaving them on until further notice. I most likely will remove them when I get a gap tool. I am loving the ride quality on them though, feels lifted and a little more bouncy. Here’s a before and after...

62c5a68918f5078395be7b69aadea4fe.jpg

1bb22a15002f879e34d55dc53be41dc8.jpg

c71351e8588cf194f061e9dd61ae6d12.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles