2002 Sequoia Limited 4WD

Sal R.

REPAIR: CVJ HIGH Angle Remanufactured OEM Axles

Finally got around to installing my CVJ remanned axles with high angle boots.

When I purchased the car 7 years ago, it came with non-OEM CV axles with torn boots. As part of the initial maintenance, I replaced them with NAPA lifetime axles. They served me well enough, but they were clearly worn out as I was getting a worsening clicking and clunking that was dependent on wheel speed and turn in angle that could not be duplicated weight off wheels. Boots were worn, but intact.

Upon removal, the DS inner joint was clearly "clunky" and was the source of all the noise In was experiencing. I'll probably turn them in for a fresh set of axles and keep those around as a spare.

Also, I took this time to remove my Toytec diff drop. I measured the angles using my trusty harbor freight clinometer on the drive shaft and axles at ride height and the differences were negligible.

Axles: 0.2deg
Shaft: 0.1-0.2deg

I don't think it's my imagination, but I swear I feel less vibrations thru the DS floor after I removed the diff drop.

One of these days, I'll get around to rebooting a pair of OEM axles sitting on my shelf I picked up at a PnP.

While I had my front suspension apart, took this time to do a detailed inspection on all modified components.

IMG_20200304_174212-164.jpg

Still on the original uniballs and bushings in the Total Chaos UCAs. 130k miles on them. Bushings greased regularly every 25k or as needed. Kept the uniballs clean using a pressure washer after every winter season or off-road trip. No squeak or indications of play.

The Solo MS lower uniballs have 45k on them. Also pressure washed after every winter or off-road trip. No squeaks or indications of play. The powder coat is also holding up well.

I had to re-tighten the bolt since I could feel it turning ever so slightly. 1/16th of a turn using a 24" breaker bar did the trick. Probably should keep an eye on that.

The Solo MS outer tierod heim is showing signs if wear. Probably need to replace that.

The plastic sleeve on the front crown SS lines with 62k on them are showing signs of cracking. Multiple hits of the banjo bolt on the Fox coilovers are rounding out the bolt. Probably need to replace that and install the new seat for the coilovers.

FB_IMG_15438874993863017-165.jpg

62k on my TR4/GX470 brake setup. Despite the thinner mounting flange, I did not see any signs of cracking or fatigue in the flange. Pads are also wearing out evenly.

t4rbrakes_01.JPG

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
My CVJ axles with high angle boots have been great. They do a nice job on them, and I've had no issues since install. I've probably put 15-20K on them so far, including lots of trails.

I don't have a diff drop and never really felt I needed one. I've heard mixed reviews on them anyways, so decided if I didn't have a firm reason to put a drop on then why bother. So far so good I guess.

Sal R.

My CVJ axles with high angle boots have been great. They do a nice job on them, and I've had no issues since install. I've probably put 15-20K on them so far, including lots of trails.

I don't have a diff drop and never really felt I needed one. I've heard mixed reviews on them anyways, so decided if I didn't have a firm reason to put a drop on then why bother. So far so good I guess.

Yeah, I put my diff drop in at the recommendation of "people." It made sense at the time since high angle boots really weren't a thing and it was a cheap way to reduce CV angles.

After actually measuring the above, I'm convinced that they really didn't really do anything. I'm a lot more methodical these days compared to younger Sal.

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
I wish you guys wouldn't have told me those existed...now I want a set. $247 each is pretty steep, though!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tennesseewj

Observer
You can buy the high angle boots and reboot the axles yourself if you're handy.
That is my preferred option. It doesn't look difficult but it does look messy and time consuming, which means I've gotta convince my wife I need a full day of wrenching time while she tames our tiny herd of wildabeasts!

Sal R.

That is my preferred option. It doesn't look difficult but it does look messy and time consuming, which means I've gotta convince my wife I need a full day of wrenching time while she tames our tiny herd of wildabeasts!

Which is why I paid the premium for the convenience.

I've had a pair of OEM axles and the boots sitting on my shelf for the past year. I'll get to it.

One day.?

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
Which is why I paid the premium for the convenience.

I've had a pair of OEM axles and the boots sitting on my shelf for the past year. I'll get to it.

One day.?
This is exactly why I bought them already done. I just don't have the time to mess with something like that, nor do I have the expertise. My wife needs the help with the kids when I am home, so my time working on the truck is kept to a minimum when possible.

Sal R.

Sal! You've been quiet! Anything good to share on the tree lately?

Not much to report since I've been sheltering in place. Plus not much to do on the car. I've been meaning to re-finish my bumpers, sliders, and trim, but I've been too lazy to do it.

Last edited:

KamaniG

Well. I'm not even going to lie, I spent damn near all day at work in between patients reading this amazing thread. I just bought a 2016 Sequoia SR5 with 85k on the dash a couple of weeks ago. I grew up driving a Landcruiser and well, they're hard to find and a bit more pricier. This has been eye opening. My mother in law is giving me an old 50s camper that needs serious work and I wanted something that could haul my family of 5 and 4 dogs and my trailer. This really gives me some great ideas however, my husband and I aren't too mechanically inclined. My ultimate goal is to get a rooftop tent, and turn the inside into a camper option too. Question: where did you get your side awning? I think I'm going to start simple with something like that. ?
Also, what's the most important mod that you have done?

Sal R.

Well. I'm not even going to lie, I spent damn near all day at work in between patients reading this amazing thread. I just bought a 2016 Sequoia SR5 with 85k on the dash a couple of weeks ago. I grew up driving a Landcruiser and well, they're hard to find and a bit more pricier. This has been eye opening. My mother in law is giving me an old 50s camper that needs serious work and I wanted something that could haul my family of 5 and 4 dogs and my trailer. This really gives me some great ideas however, my husband and I aren't too mechanically inclined. My ultimate goal is to get a rooftop tent, and turn the inside into a camper option too. Question: where did you get your side awning? I think I'm going to start simple with something like that. ?
Also, what's the most important mod that you have done?

Thanks for taking the time.

Sounds like you have solid plan for your Sequoia and the camper. I like to travel light so campers aren't my thing. However, I have wished that I did have one on a few occasions just so that I can set up camp, take the Sequoia out for some sightseeing, and not have to bother with having to pack everything up, especially in the winter.

I purchased the awning off ebay. If you look on the original post there a link under the materials section.

I think the most important mod I have done would be the Solo spindles and lower uniball joint conversion with heim steering. It really gives me a piece of mind while off road.

Kpack

Adventurer
Thanks for taking the time.

Sounds like you have solid plan for your Sequoia and the camper. I like to travel light so campers aren't my thing. However, I have wished that I did have one on a few occasions just so that I can set up camp, take the Sequoia out for some sightseeing, and not have to bother with having to pack everything up, especially in the winter.

I purchased the awning off ebay. If you look on the original post there a link under the materials section.

I think the most important mod I have done would be the Solo spindles and lower uniball joint conversion with heim steering. It really gives me a piece of mind while off road.
Did you run into issues with the stock steering set up before switching to the new spindles? I remember reading about the conversion and it looks really stout. Certainly more peace of mind. I may need to look into it at some point. Currently still running stock (recently replaced) LBJ's, stock spindle, etc. At the very least I probably ought to weld on a spindle gusset.

Sal R.

Did you run into issues with the stock steering set up before switching to the new spindles? I remember reading about the conversion and it looks really stout. Certainly more peace of mind. I may need to look into it at some point. Currently still running stock (recently replaced) LBJ's, stock spindle, etc. At the very least I probably ought to weld on a spindle gusset.

Well, before the upgrade, I've had the ball joint on the outer tierod separate from the cup and I've bent the inner tierod, as well. Easy fixes on the trail since I carried cheap spares.

I wasn't using OEM at the time on those components. Learned my lesson on that.

The upgrade is stout, but does require maintenance since the joints are exposed. No big deal here in CA. One quick power wash and I'm done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles