2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

Wilbah

Adventurer
-Estimating it to have almost double the range between fuel stops, which can save a decent chunk of change depending on areas

This^^^^

If you are a Sam's Club member or use the GasBuddy app you can find locations that you might not otherwise think of which can save money on gas. But also if you know what each state charges for gas tax and have the kind of range you mention you can save some money by topping off in low tax states and avoiding (or minimizing) buying in high tax states.

Hobietim

9e77d0b3eea5e321f0f5e107045cb18f.jpg

2016 5500, DC, Super Single on 19.5 Firematic rims, Lotsa tweaks been to AK twice, Newfoundland and lots in between, 58K so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
This^^^^

If you are a Sam's Club member or use the GasBuddy app you can find locations that you might not otherwise think of which can save money on gas. But also if you know what each state charges for gas tax and have the kind of range you mention you can save some money by topping off in low tax states and avoiding (or minimizing) buying in high tax states.

BINGO

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well... Finally actually drove the damn thing yesterday! :)

I wanted to get some miles on it and at least do a little bit of a break in before i rip it all apart and modify everything.

So i did a quick out and back bonsai run from San Diego to Yuma AZ. Took the 8 freeway which has some mile climbs and descents. I also weighed it on a certified cat scale in Yuma.

Here is some info from the first drive (look at the bottom left corner of the dash readout, woohoo!).

Note: Weight is in completely stock form with both tanks (74 gallons) completely full and topped off, and my 285lbs of chiseled well defined muscle in the drivers seat.

weight_small.jpg testrundata1_small.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Watching! This will be fun to follow along. Why not AEV bumper and flares?

I don't want to publicly bash companies, especially those with lots of fan boys.

I'll just say the several unanswered emails, and their rudeness and off the charts arrogance on the phone, was so off-putting, Ive made it a point to never use one of their products ever. I've made it a point to give my money to companies that still believe in customer service, and that treat everyone the same. Regardless of how popular an item is, my $ goes to those that provide great service AND a great product.

They're at the stage now where if you ain't throwing $100k at them to buy a pre-made truck, upcharging $10k worth of parts for $30k, you're a lowly peasant not worth their time. It'll eventually bite them in the butt...

Oops, i guessed i bashed them a little publicly... whoops :)

38snubby

I don't want to publicly bash companies, especially those with lots of fan boys.

I'll just say the several unanswered emails, and their rudeness and off the charts arrogance on the phone, was so off-putting, Ive made it a point to never use one of their products ever. I've made it a point to give my money to companies that still believe in customer service, and that treat everyone the same. Regardless of how popular an item is, my $ goes to those that provide great service AND a great product.

They're at the stage now where if you ain't throwing $100k at them to buy a pre-made truck, upcharging $10k worth of parts for $30k, you're a lowly peasant not worth their time. It'll eventually bite them in the butt...

Oops, i guessed i bashed them a little publicly... whoops :)

Sad to hear. It seemed that they were very helpful to the other gent on here who built his Ram camper healyjet think? He was over on their forum when he started his build and answered a lot his questions. Will be watching to see what parts you choose.

With regards to your tire choice I like the look of the Conti's but I wonder about the low speed rating of 68mph I think. The goodyears are rated to 78mph I think. Do you like to cruise at 70-75mph? Anyway I am just an armchair looky loo at this point. Hopefully I will be there in a few more years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles