Let's Talk Backseats- the main 3

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
Ok, we are in the market for a new to us rig. Looking at the main 3 (Ranger, Taco, Colorado) in crew cab flavor. Our main concern is back seat functionality. When not hauling people, in our current 04 chevy 1500 Crew, the backseat folds completely flat and is perfect for dogs, camping gear, hunting gear, etc. Although we prefer the ranger for its comfort and visibility, the back seast fold up and you lose allot of room. so those who have any of the main 3, what is your backseat setup, and how do you work with them? for dogs, gear, etc.

85_Ranger4x4

FWIW I have a cover on the back seat in my F-150 for my lab.

With a Supercab and the rear seats folded up my wife's cavapoo would have a hard time turning around back there so I just leave the seats down 24/7.

driller

old soul wanderer
On my colorado I built a platform that goes on top of the lower seat cushions. I still have access to the floor storage and pops in or out in 30 sceonds. it goes from the seat backs to the back of the front seats.

Attachments

• 20200224_154210.jpg
    20200224_154210.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200224_154219.jpg
    20200224_154219.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200224_154233.jpg
    20200224_154233.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200224_154248.jpg
    20200224_154248.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 66

spectre6000

Observer
I put some heavy duty nylon covers on mine, and the carseat base lives on the passenger side.

The 60 side can fold up or down. Folded up, there's a plastic bin that doubles as the bottom support for the seat when it's down. Towing stuff and tools live there. The floor is not very flat with the seat bottoms folded up. There's an aftermarket steel lockable storage device that replaces the plastic bin, and I believe it is split 60/40 to match the seats.

The seat back also folds down in a 60/40 split. With the seat back folded down, it's pretty flat BUT it's also pretty high.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Goose Gear has rear seat delete trays available for the Colorado/Canyon. Full delete or partial. Hope that helps!

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
On my colorado I built a platform that goes on top of the lower seat cushions. I still have access to the floor storage and pops in or out in 30 sceonds. it goes from the seat backs to the back of the front seats.

Thank you for the photos! May have to go this route.
I put some heavy duty nylon covers on mine, and the carseat base lives on the passenger side.

The 60 side can fold up or down. Folded up, there's a plastic bin that doubles as the bottom support for the seat when it's down. Towing stuff and tools live there. The floor is not very flat with the seat bottoms folded up. There's an aftermarket steel lockable storage device that replaces the plastic bin, and I believe it is split 60/40 to match the seats.

The seat back also folds down in a 60/40 split. With the seat back folded down, it's pretty flat BUT it's also pretty high.
On which rig?
Goose Gear has rear seat delete trays available for the Colorado/Canyon. Full delete or partial. Hope that helps!
Interesting. Have to look those up. Then there's the trouble of storing the seats.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I pulled them out of my Colorado. I replaced them with a simple platform for the dog &/or gear. It's low enough to make access to the ARB fridge reasonable, leaves enough room in front of it for a National Luna PPP, & retains the storage area that is under the OEM seat.

It's a simple enough job to put the seats back in, but it would get tedious if you had to change back and forth all the time. Since I never use the back seats, I just leave the platform in all the time. The fridge & PPP come and go as needed.
59930546_2155496007861662_7196549348937695232_n.jpg

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I pulled them out of my Colorado. I replaced them with a simple platform for the dog &/or gear. It's low enough to make access to the ARB fridge reasonable, leaves enough room in front of it for a National Luna PPP, & retains the storage area that is under the OEM seat.

It's a simple enough job to put the seats back in, but it would get tedious if you had to change back and forth all the time. Since I never use the back seats, I just leave the platform in all the time. The fridge & PPP come and go as needed.
View attachment 570159
Thank you for that photo! The lady is quite partial to the Colorado(she had an 04, until the dreaded i5 engine issues) but she loves the feel of the ranger. I'm trying to arrange a time to have a ranger and a colorado in the same area so we can go drive them and interrogate them in the same day.

dman93

Adventurer
I’m ok with my Tacoma double cab back seats but the flip-forward seat cushion does take up space and blocks floor storage also. It’s easy to remove (two bolts per side)so I sometimes remove just the cushions, or even just one cushion, for more volume; two more bolts and each seat back is out. They are 60/40 split cushion and seatback; with a fair amount of hidden storage both underneath and behind, especially if you don’t have the JBL subwoofer on the passenger side.

phsycle

Adventurer
I’m ok with my Tacoma double cab back seats but the flip-forward seat cushion does take up space and blocks floor storage also. It’s easy to remove (two bolts per side)so I sometimes remove just the cushions, or even just one cushion, for more volume; two more bolts and each seat back is out. They are 60/40 split cushion and seatback; with a fair amount of hidden storage both underneath and behind, especially if you don’t have the JBL subwoofer on the passenger side.

Yeah, I was never a fan of how the Tacoma rear seat folded up. If I were to use the rear as cargo only, I'd take out the bottom cushions. I'm not a fan of the under the seat storage, either. This is not only for the Tacoma, but all others as well. I'd rather have nothing under the seats and just throw a couple duffel bags under there, or set up a modular storage system if that's what you want.

dman93

Adventurer
Yeah, I was never a fan of how the Tacoma rear seat folded up. If I were to use the rear as cargo only, I'd take out the bottom cushions. I'm not a fan of the under the seat storage, either. This is not only for the Tacoma, but all others as well. I'd rather have nothing under the seats and just throw a couple duffel bags under there, or set up a modular storage system if that's what you want.
I haven’t actually seen it in person, but from pictures, the Honda Ridgeline setup looks great. Seat cushions are off the floor so there’s more underseat storage accessible when the seats are in use, and more room when they’re folded up.

phsycle

Adventurer
I liked my old F150. Had tools, recovery gear, etc. in duffel bags under the seat. Take them out real quick if I needed the space.

1584025893523.png

I recently picked up the Ranger. Back seat is the only complaint. For my dog I picked up a cover that attaches over the 4 headrests and that has worked great. I take him hunting in the mountains for grouse and he can get quite filthy, but seats stay dry. I had a tonneau when I bought it which worked great for gear, just put a cap on so I have a bunch of storage now. Truck has plenty of power and drives great. If I didn't have kids I would do a delete and put a platform in. Love the Ranger.

85_Ranger4x4

I recently picked up the Ranger. Back seat is the only complaint. For my dog I picked up a cover that attaches over the 4 headrests and that has worked great. I take him hunting in the mountains for grouse and he can get quite filthy, but seats stay dry. I had a tonneau when I bought it which worked great for gear, just put a cap on so I have a bunch of storage now. Truck has plenty of power and drives great. If I didn't have kids I would do a delete and put a platform in. Love the Ranger.

How does it work with kids in the back? Any in rear facing car seats?

I would love a Ranger but that is a big ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles