4th Gen Ram AEV winch bumper on 3rd Gen Ram

Boz

Observer
Yep that is the one that had kind of inspired my thought to integrate the winch into my factory bumper.

Per a couple other companies that make both 3G and 4G bumpers, the frame differences are not very big. I emailed them today.

I wonder if I emailed AEV about just developing some different mounting brackets or sending someone just the brackets and the center section of their bumper to see what it would take to make it work?

I mean that would open a whole other market for them and all they would have to do would be develop the brackets. I think the 06-09 guys would need to swap grills to the 03-05 style to make it look good.

I hope it works out for you (in fact, I'd entertain switching if it did), but I don't think they give a rip about this. They're balls deep developing stuff for chevy's and new Rams.

Inline6

Adventurer
I honestly don't mind the chin. It gives me a place to stand or kneel while working in the engine compartment. I have a Buckstop bumper on my 05. I think I have had it on there since 06 or so. Don't recall when I picked it up used way back when and put a warn 16.5K in it right away.

Just had mine repainted after all that time and took the grill hoop off. Cant decide to keep it off or put it back on, the hoop.
av7JMx8.jpg

good luck on AEV actually doing much to help out.

I will also say, I am not sure I would be buying a bumper and winch combo today for a 1 ton truck. Feels like a 4-5K project. I have only used the winch on the truck for stuff on the property and have never had it in a position to need the winch. But I am out east now vs my days in the NW where I was out and about more.

Scoutman

Explorer
Yep that is the one that had kind of inspired my thought to integrate the winch into my factory bumper.

Per a couple other companies that make both 3G and 4G bumpers, the frame differences are not very big. I emailed them today.

I wonder if I emailed AEV about just developing some different mounting brackets or sending someone just the brackets and the center section of their bumper to see what it would take to make it work?

I mean that would open a whole other market for them and all they would have to do would be develop the brackets. I think the 06-09 guys would need to swap grills to the 03-05 style to make it look good.

If you are able to get AEV to do that I'll personally come up to Nashville and buy you a beer. Like others have said they have their eyes set on bigger projects.
Prime example, I also like their diff covers but they only specify them to fit on 14-18 Rams with the 11.5" axle. I called them up to see if they could verify that their cover would also fit my 2006 3500 with an 11.5" rear axle and after going back and forth for a few minutes they honestly didn't know or cared. :rolleyes: It's just not who they are as a company and it's not the market they're aiming for.

If I remember correctly the Diesel Power Wagon had to space out the front bumper mounting brackets a few inches to make it work. Setting it into the cutout bumper would be the easy part but making the bumper fit and look right to the fender lines would be the challenge. Notice how the fender flares don't quite meet up with the bumper correctly in the picture above? That's to cover the mismatched lines.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Good luck getting AEV to do anything...

I've contacted them several times (guessing 5-6) asking different questions, trying to give them a bunch of my money.

Every single time, whoever answered the phone had a massive attitude/arrogance problem, and it was always someone different.

It was so bad, i've made it a point to design my entire build around NOT using their products.

I know they have their fanboys, but the service and attitude is some of the worst in the industry

SixLug

Explorer
Good luck getting AEV to do anything...

I've contacted them several times (guessing 5-6) asking different questions, trying to give them a bunch of my money.

Every single time, whoever answered the phone had a massive attitude/arrogance problem, and it was always someone different.

It was so bad, i've made it a point to design my entire build around NOT using their products.

I know they have their fanboys, but the service and attitude is some of the worst in the industry

It’s too bad to hear this and all the other negative comments about them. Sucks when this is the kind of place that helped make them what they are then they forget that.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Reviving an old thread here, but I’m sure guys are still interested in this topic.

I came across a 3rd gen for sale locally with an AEV bumper. I tried to get him to sell me just the bumper and winch, but he didn’t go for it. When I asked about installing the AEV bumper on his truck his only reply was: “It wasn’t bad”.

so I guess it’s possible!

Anyways, I saved his pictures of the bumper and thought I’d share them here.

Attachments

• B814F3FC-26BD-48E8-9E36-0E0D40154E28.jpeg
    B814F3FC-26BD-48E8-9E36-0E0D40154E28.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 0979CE6D-B1BC-4193-A60F-160A4E50CC4F.jpeg
    0979CE6D-B1BC-4193-A60F-160A4E50CC4F.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 77

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles