Real world MPG/experiences

Wife and I have settled on either a 2012+ F150 with the 5.0 or a 2011+ F250 with a 6.2. Don't tow anything but I have to have a truck or SUV per range control on base to park in our training areas. Also tired of putting all my gear into my backseat/trunk of my 93 accord for the field. I love the F250 for some irrational reason, it draws me. Wife is worried about how much the MPG difference is and the actual size difference. I've read the length of both supercrew/crew cab isn't too significant. Width is definitely a thing. Anyone have either or and why did you decide on the other one? Trade up or down? Just looking for real world experiences.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
When I bought my house, I was worried about the cost of landscaping with a few flower pots. Because you know, $2.85 flower pots add up! That's how silly and pointless fuel mileage is.

Do you need front and rear lockers? Get the SD.
Do you need 37" tires? Get the SD.
Staying stock height with stockish tires. Get the 150.
Camper? Go SD.
Need a more car like ride? Go 150.

They're the same size. SD is going to drive bigger and heavier.

When I slow down (and put the XL wheels back on), my 6.2 can get 17+. If you need big axles, then the meager increased fuel cost is worth it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My friend’s 2018 4wd F150 with 5.0 gets about 15 with his FWC mounted up and around 19 empty. I’m impressed with that.
That is good! But, I think the OP is looking at a 2012'ish. So it wouldn't have the 2018's 10 speed. I believe still 6 speed?

I'm guessing the 4 extra gears may keep the RPM's lower at highway speed. My 2015 5.0L with 3:73's and a 6 speed seems to be around 1,800 is RPM at 65.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
That is good! But, I think the OP is looking at a 2012'ish. So it wouldn't have the 2018's 10 speed. I believe still 6 speed?

I'm guessing the 4 extra gears may keep the RPM's lower at highway speed. My 2015 5.0L with 3:73's and a 6 speed seems to be around 1,800 is RPM at 65.

Yes its a 6 speed. Still a good trans and should get good mpg all day long as you hang out in 5th and 6th gear. The extra 4 gears slide in between the gears on the 6 speed except for 10th gear I believe.

The F150 will get decent enough MPG without trying. The F250 will get decent enough MPG for a truck.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd keep the Accord for mpg when it matters. And to ameliorate her concerns. Good to have a 2nd vehicle anyway.

Interesting that there's a non-car requirement, but it makes sense given road conditions in most military training areas.

How about a Suburban? they work pretty well here in the desert southwest ;)

The F150 could very well get 5-6 more MPG.

My friend’s 2018 4wd F150 with 5.0 gets about 15 with his FWC mounted up and around 19 empty. I’m impressed with that.

That’s pretty impressive!!

When I bought my house, I was worried about the cost of landscaping with a few flower pots. Because you know, $2.85 flower pots add up! That's how silly and pointless fuel mileage is.

Do you need front and rear lockers? Get the SD.
Do you need 37" tires? Get the SD.
Staying stock height with stockish tires. Get the 150.
Camper? Go SD.
Need a more car like ride? Go 150.

They're the same size. SD is going to drive bigger and heavier.

When I slow down (and put the XL wheels back on), my 6.2 can get 17+. If you need big axles, then the meager increased fuel cost is worth it.

Yeah I can’t reallllllly think of a reason besides I just want it for the SD lol.

Yes its a 6 speed. Still a good trans and should get good mpg all day long as you hang out in 5th and 6th gear. The extra 4 gears slide in between the gears on the 6 speed except for 10th gear I believe.

The F150 will get decent enough MPG without trying. The F250 will get decent enough MPG for a truck.

Yeah that kinda seems to be the crowd consensus.

I'd keep the Accord for mpg when it matters. And to ameliorate her concerns. Good to have a 2nd vehicle anyway.

Interesting that there's a non-car requirement, but it makes sense given road conditions in most military training areas.

How about a Suburban? they work pretty well here in the desert southwest ;)

Yeah I’m never allowed to sell the Accord. It was her 16th bday present and here I am driving it. My Marines call me a suicide bomber. Lol. I have parked it on plenty of ranges but I’d like to avoid the arguments with the range inspectors lol.

I like the truck bed cause I can throw muddy and SANDY ******** in it and not find more sand 3 weeks later when my trunk liner shifts. Also am looking at orders in a year. Infinite Marine HQ wisdom likely places me east coast next lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also ran into a sweet deal on a 2012 F-150 5.0, 4x4, King Ranch tonight. 98k miles for $22k give or take listed. Seems like a decent one to explore. See if I can get the wife on board. She wants no more than $17k out the door though.

MR. ED

Observer
I had a 13 F150 with 5.0, 3:55 gears, 255/80/17 tires, 5.5 bed, lifted Bilsteins and it got 18.5 mpg.
I now have a 14 F350 with 6.2, 4:30 gears, 315/70/17 tires, 6.75 bed, lifted Bilsteins and I’m getting 13 mpg. Both rigs have/had toppers and were/are driven similarly-not aggressive but not like grandma. I loved the ride in the 150 but needed more payload and a longer bed. Love the 350 but it’s a rougher ride. Good luck;)
I’ll add that the 150 squatted a bit with my daily carpentry tools in the back- which is not a problem in the 350.

Last edited:
I had a 13 F150 with 5.0, 3:55 gears, 255/80/17 tires, 5.5 bed, lifted Bilsteins and it got 18.5 mpg.
I now have a 14 F350 with 6.2, 4:30 gears, 315/70/17 tires, 6.75 bed, lifted Bilsteins and I’m getting 13 mpg. Both rigs have/had toppers and were/are driven similarly-not aggressive but not like grandma. I loved the ride in the 150 but needed more payload and a longer bed. Love the 350 but it’s a rougher ride. Good luck;)
I’ll add that the 150 squatted a bit with my daily carpentry tools in the back- which is not a problem in the 350.

How much did your tools weigh?!

I’ve heard the 4.30s on the SD is really the only way to go with the 6.2

MR. ED

Observer
How much did your tools weigh?!

I’ve heard the 4.30s on the SD is really the only way to go with the 6.2

It varies...probably a few hundred pounds plus the weight of the topper. I will also add that the 150 was a super crew and the 350 super cab.

MR. ED

Observer
It varies...probably a few hundred pounds plus the weight of the topper. I will also add that the 150 was a super crew and the 350 super cab.
The SD was advertised with the 3:73, which is what I wanted - hoping to gain a few mpgs. Once I checked the vin after I brought it home I realized I got the 4:30s. Love the rear locker. I didn’t have one in the 150.

The SD was advertised with the 3:73, which is what I wanted - hoping to gain a few mpgs. Once I checked the vin after I brought it home I realized I got the 4:30s. Love the rear locker. I didn’t have one in the 150.

Yeah two kids means super crew is the way to go for me.

This King Ranch I’m checking out has the e-locker and 3.55s. Not a bad build on it.

Grassland

14 US MPG in the city on my 2014 3.7 F150 on 34x10.5R17 with a topper and small lift.
Windy and hilly towing a 2500# pop up camper with mountain bikes on the roof rack of camper and 800# in the truck was about 13 US MPG.
Best fuel economy to date is tied at just under 19 MPG, oddly enough both times was highway driving without the trailer in BC Canada, once with 235/80R17 and once with 34x10.5R17 the 235s on 87 tune, the 34s 91 tune.

If you are sticking with stock size tires and not bolting on every accessory possible, and F150 would be the choice.

Otherwise Buliwyf summed it up best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94