Where are all the 6.6 duramax vans?

Redheddedwonder

I feel like I would see more of these vans, I don’t see them pop up for sale very often or build threads etc. Are they really not that popular or just harder to find/rare? Maybe people are hanging on to them since they aren’t made anymore.

My E350 will be for sale later this year and after our move this winter I plan on finding a 6.6 van for a long term van for us. Probably a used sportsmobile or custom build. Figure for us it fits and can tow anything I ever plan to, like a built Jeep, snowmobiles and other toys. I can’t help but start looking early and I feel like I don’t see that many, making me worry a little about finding a good one after we move.

whith

I’ve not looked at actual production figures from GM but I would be that they are really low. I looked for a long time before finding one, and I can tell it would take an extraordinary situation for me to get rid of it. I had an E350 Ford for several years with the 6.0 and I loved it. I had very few issues relative to the ones most have with the 6.0 so all in all I was pleased. But the difference in the two is stark. The Duramax is as quiet and smooth as you can imagine. Ride quality in the GM is much better as well. Both mine are/were Quigleys.

Long story, if you can find one grab it.

Redheddedwonder

I’ve not looked at actual production figures from GM but I would be that they are really low. I looked for a long time before finding one, and I can tell it would take an extraordinary situation for me to get rid of it. I had an E350 Ford for several years with the 6.0 and I loved it. I had very few issues relative to the ones most have with the 6.0 so all in all I was pleased. But the difference in the two is stark. The Duramax is as quiet and smooth as you can imagine. Ride quality in the GM is much better as well. Both mine are/were Quigleys.

Long story, if you can find one grab it.

good to here you are happy with it! Yah I have a 5.4 e350 now that we are selling before we move to Colorado. I will have other toys for off-roading so a Quigley van will be perfect for us. Hopefully I’ll find a nice camper conversion with low miles.
Do you tow much with it?

whith

I wouldn't say a lot, but I've towed a 30 foot travel trailer weighing in at around 9K with it several times and its a dream. Gets up to speed on the freeway and passes at 70 with no issue. Its much more stable both towing and unloaded than my E350 was as well. I did a rear overload leaf spring swap out from Weldtec Designs to soften up the unloaded ride which made it as good as I could hope for for a 3500 and then I added Air Lift bags for when I load it up. We do a lot of long days traveling all over the NW and West and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

This engine seems to manage temperature a lot better than my Ford did. Granted its 10 years newer so it should. But the fan only comes on during the longest and steepest of grades in the summer. It just feels like it does most things with ease. Because I had a Ford 6.0 I became used to monitoring several temps and also do so with this one. It manages coolant and EGT really well. The only downside is the occasional DPF regen and need to fill it with DEF from time to time but its not that big of a deal at all.

Redheddedwonder

I’m currently not in the market, when we move my wife may not have a job right away due to student teaching. So we plan to go down to zero debt. Once we are settled I will be back looking for a van.
If I buy a 2wd van quigley converts 2014 or newer with less than 60,000 miles. Something to consider I guess. Or I can go weldtec but that starts at $10,000 more than quigley starts at. It is nice seeing all he used ones in the 200,000-300,000 mile range. A decent investment I would say!

Len.Barron

Observer
Most that get one don't ever sell it...that combined with the low production numbers make them tough to find (and was a big part of why I built mine).

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Eventually my last van will be a Duramax. Two years ago I found a 2011 Quigley 4x4 in CO for $25K. I still wish I had grabbed it.

Redheddedwonder

Eventually my last van will be a Duramax. Two years ago I found a 2011 Quigley 4x4 in CO for $25K. I still wish I had grabbed it.

that’s great deal! I keep considering other options but always come back to wanting one of these, so I think I will hold out to find a good one once we move

whith

If you want a van to tow with in Colorado I can't imagine something better. Wait and find a good one and you'll be happy.

Redheddedwonder

If you want a van to tow with in Colorado I can't imagine something better. Wait and find a good one and you'll be happy.
For sure! One thing I got going for me is the wife is all for vans now that we have had the e350, so I pretty much have the go ahead to go all out all out on he next one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles