Request: pics/info of your 2009-2014 F150 Supercrew builds

KWJohnston

Does anyone use a roof rack setup that runs the entire length of the top ? For longer items such as fishing rods, the ability for me to carry them up top on a rack would be ideal.

Also, has anyone mounted auxiliary lighting to the inside of there camper shell?

D

Deleted member 9101

I need a winch, used the last one I had often. I'm still leaning towards the eco boost. I get you on being useful. I'm not one for bolting on a bunch of useless garbage. My idea of a trasharoo is a black garbage bag.

You'll probably want to hit up an F150 forum them. They would have the answer. I know that people have mounted winches on them amd they have even been used as plow trucks, so there is clearly some kind of work around.

D

Deleted member 9101

Does anyone use a roof rack setup that runs the entire length of the top ? For longer items such as fishing rods, the ability for me to carry them up top on a rack would be ideal.

Also, has anyone mounted auxiliary lighting to the inside of there camper shell?

I carry mine under my tonneau cover.

Attachments

• 20190120_170721.jpg
    20190120_170721.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
@Marine not having to deal with an intercooler is the answer if the winch is MUST. You ABSOLUTELY can mount a winch into the EB trucks, but you have to move the intercooler, so on top of a mount, you need a winch and then the relocation kit.

Are you talking like a generic contractors rack?

71lnI9IcmkL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I know some guys mount a rack on top of the cab too, but I think it looks kind of chinsy.

I would not mount lights onto a cap unless there is premade mounts for them. I would be too worried about leakage or ruining my new cap.

KWJohnston

The contractor rack isn't what I had in mind.

I agree. Those gimmicky roof baskets people love to put on top of a truck cab to serve no useful purpose look like crap. I also never understood why anyone would put an oversized spare tire way up there.

Maybe the word rack is confusing, when I really need crossbars. I'm looking for ideas/opinions for a crossbar system that will come in handy hauling longer items. Not sure if a bed rack or camper shell works better for something like that. Seems like with either you would still need a forward crossbar (or two) over the cab?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice. This forum has been a great source of ideas and practicality.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Yakima Baseline mounts with HD crossbars in combination with their Overhaul HD rack system seems like it would check all your boxes. Been looking at that combo as an option as it’s easy to take on and off depending on one’s needs.

KWJohnston

Bknudtsen, thanks for that suggestion. I looked up those components and it's actually a really nice system! The price isn't bad either.

I still like how the Leitner rack can be outfitted with storage pods and other accessories that are easy to reach. That doesn't seem possible with the Yakima Overhaul rack. If the Yakima baseline mounts with crossbars over the cab would work (be at same height) with the Leitner crossbars, that might be the ultimate rack setup.

Actually, I'm still considering the benefits of a camper shell also......too many options!!

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
The contractor rack isn't what I had in mind.

I agree. Those gimmicky roof baskets people love to put on top of a truck cab to serve no useful purpose look like crap. I also never understood why anyone would put an oversized spare tire way up there.

Maybe the word rack is confusing, when I really need crossbars. I'm looking for ideas/opinions for a crossbar system that will come in handy hauling longer items. Not sure if a bed rack or camper shell works better for something like that. Seems like with either you would still need a forward crossbar (or two) over the cab?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice. This forum has been a great source of ideas and practicality.

I kind of get what you're asking, and I'll tell you most items are solid enough for normal road use and light offroading without bumping off the top of your cab. I have a 8 and half foot surfboard and I have about a foot hang over the backside and about a foot and a half over the cab and I've never bounced it off the cab (that I know of at least!). Im sure you would be fine for a normal 2x4. If you were transporting a sheet of fibreboard or pressed wood/particle board you may want one rack on the back half of the cab.

I'm sure if you measured out the height between an item on the top of the bed rack and its distance from the roof you could find something to make it work.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Are you talking like a generic contractors rack?

71lnI9IcmkL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I know some guys mount a rack on top of the cab too, but I think it looks kind of chinsy.

I would not mount lights onto a cap unless there is premade mounts for them. I would be too worried about leakage or ruining my new cap.
I was thinking of using one of these as a rack to carry an alumnum fishing boat. I haven't done enough digging yet to find out if they are wide enough and rated to carry that much weight.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I was thinking of using one of these as a rack to carry an alumnum fishing boat. I haven't done enough digging yet to find out if they are wide enough and rated to carry that much weight.

You're talking about a jon boat? I'm a fairly fit guy, and I lift 3 to 4 times a week.... the idea of lifting one of those onto a rack like that would scare the ******** outta me. I've put my kayak on it a few times and thats a comedy of errors. I've seen those contractor racks aboslutely loaded to the gills with crap so I think it could take it, though.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
You're talking about a jon boat? I'm a fairly fit guy, and I lift 3 to 4 times a week.... the idea of lifting one of those onto a rack like that would scare the **** outta me. I've put my kayak on it a few times and thats a comedy of errors. I've seen those contractor racks aboslutely loaded to the gills with crap so I think it could take it, though.
Like a jon boat or 12' aluminum boat. I'm thinking a winch / roller system to get it up there? Same idea as one of those boat loader but maybe cheaper?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Like a jon boat or 12' aluminum boat. I'm thinking a winch / roller system to get it up there? Same idea as one of those boat loader but maybe cheaper?

CHECK OUT THAT SICK HONDA RIDGELINE.

Thats a really neat system. I don't fish enough to have any need for that (there are much cheaper ways to get piss drunk), but if fishing is your thing this may be a great solution. I know my friends who fish a lot have those style boats and the tiny trailers that come with them but those don't look like they could make it out of the subdivision let alone on a long trip to some remote fishing spot up north on some random tributary of the Chesapeake bay.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
CHECK OUT THAT SICK HONDA RIDGELINE.

Thats a really neat system. I don't fish enough to have any need for that (there are much cheaper ways to get piss drunk), but if fishing is your thing this may be a great solution. I know my friends who fish a lot have those style boats and the tiny trailers that come with them but those don't look like they could make it out of the subdivision let alone on a long trip to some remote fishing spot up north on some random tributary of the Chesapeake bay.
No a trailer wouldn't do me any good because we'd be towing our holiday trailer. I also wonder if between tongue weight, the firewood I pack in the box (1/4 full), the rack, the boat and the 4 people in the cab if I'd be over my 1,800 payload. I got some more calculations to figure out. (I'm guessing tongue weight about 750 lbs)

As far as drinking in the wilderness.... We have that covered....

camping 2.jpg

Grassland

No a trailer wouldn't do me any good because we'd be towing our holiday trailer. I also wonder if between tongue weight, the firewood I pack in the box (1/4 full), the rack, the boat and the 4 people in the cab if I'd be over my 1,800 payload. I got some more calculations to figure out. (I'm guessing tongue weight about 750 lbs)

As far as drinking in the wilderness.... We have that covered....

View attachment 568956
They make that excuse for whiskey practically in my back yard lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles