$200 5KW Portable Diesel Air Heater

CampStewart

Observer
who are you directing this comment to?
I would think anyone who might be considering purchase of the unit. No way would I be interested if I couldn't use it for hot water only or hot air only. Seems to me like trying to get hot water from it ads way too much complexity and possible failure problems.

john61ct

Adventurer
yes IMO water-heat is best use calorifiers hydronics for long term space heat, tie into ICE cooling circuit, could add electrc HWS for shore power, propane, passive solar whatever

then **add** the forced air or this combi style when you need fast-heatup of the space

but Wave catalytics are good for that too

CampStewart

Observer
yes IMO water-heat is best use calorifiers hydronics for long term space heat, tie into ICE cooling circuit, could add electrc HWS for shore power, propane, passive solar whatever

then **add** the forced air or this combi style when you need fast-heatup of the space

but Wave catalytics are good for that too
You left out a huge underutilized power source, there must be some way to tie geothermal into the system

furbucket

Observer
Y pipes exist that allow you to vent the hot air outside in the summer when you only want hot water.

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen using Tapatalk

alia176

Explorer
I would think anyone who might be considering purchase of the unit. No way would I be interested if I couldn't use it for hot water only or hot air only. Seems to me like trying to get hot water from it ads way too much complexity and possible failure problems.

I don't think I'd be using this to heat my water in the summer :) and it's no more complex than using the EcoTemp unit I have. To me NOT using this to heat water is crazy to me as the system is self contained. I've often laid in bed listening to my Espar cranking away and trying to figure out a way to heat up water so to me this combo unit is a game chagner. If you're gonna use up fuel (kerosene in my case) why wouldn't take advantage of the heat exchanger to warm up some water?

Granted, I wouldn't use this as an "instant on" heating source for my water but I like the idea of getting up early in the morning, turning on the diesel heating unit. It can heat up the cabin while heating up the 20g of water in recirc mode. I don't expect bath temp water but I bet washing hands and face first thing in the morning won't sting as much if the temps overnight dipped near freezing. Mind you, I don't camp in winter but there have been occasions when night time temps got cold.

For my showers, I'd still use the ecotemp unit to heat up water but if the tank of water is already not freezing cold, it stands to reason that less propane will be used in the Ecotemp for the showers and what have you. Anyway, these are just my thinking but I like where my mind is at!

furbucket

Observer
For those of you with these units installed; how do you keep water out of the exhaust/air intake in the event of a water crossing?

alia176

Explorer
For those of you with these units installed; how do you keep water out of the exhaust/air intake in the event of a water crossing?

I have an Espar installed in the Kamparoo and never had any issues with water ingress. Granted, the intake is approx 30" from the ground and I don't play amphibious vehicle mode very often so no issues to speak of. If water does go in, it'll drain right out. These are my thoughts and experiences.

RPhil

Adventurer
For the newer all-in-one units (ex. https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Parking-Muffler-Control-Motorhome/dp/B07YF8HPHL/), is one able to utilize the controls to manually set the output, or is there a sensor located on the unit that will force the unit to ramp up and down based on its temperature reading?

I would like to purchase this unit and keep it as portable and leave it outside of the area in which I am heating. I want to make sure that it doesn't stay in a high output mode because the temperature sensor is outside.

helidave

For the newer all-in-one units (ex. https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Parking-Muffler-Control-Motorhome/dp/B07YF8HPHL/), is one able to utilize the controls to manually set the output, or is there a sensor located on the unit that will force the unit to ramp up and down based on its temperature reading?

I would like to purchase this unit and keep it as portable and leave it outside of the area in which I am heating. I want to make sure that it doesn't stay in a high output mode because the temperature sensor is outside.
The temp sensor is in the controller, so you want that in the area being heated. Its easy enough to extend the wires for the control if you need more reach.

RPhil

Adventurer
The temp sensor is in the controller, so you want that in the area being heated. Its easy enough to extend the wires for the control if you need more reach.

Thanks for the information. Extending the wires for the controller seems simple enough.

I would just prefer to not have this entire device in my sleeping area. Ducting the heat in as opposed to the exhaust out seems more safe to me. It will also save me interior space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles