Thoughts on the ORIS Skottle?

MOAK

Adventurer
The first time I saw one of the “skottles” in use my first thought was, how the heck would you pack that thing in. All of our gear is either rectangular hard cases or soft cases. No way that would pack in properly, we’d have to change our entire packing strategy/tetras game.. no thanks, we’re good!

Last edited:

Tenchi64

The first time I saw one of the “skottles” in use my first thought was, how the heck would you pack that thing in. All of our gear is either rectangular hard cases or soft cases. No way that would pack in properly, we’d have to change our entire packing strategy/tetras game.. no thanks, we’re good!
yeah packing a large one takes up lots of awkward space.. still figuring this one out. The smaller ones have carrying bags that make it easier to stow and not dirty other stuff.

yeah packing a large one takes up lots of awkward space.. still figuring this one out. The smaller ones have carrying bags that make it easier to stow and not dirty other stuff.
Look for "Western Rope Bag"s , works well for carrying them.

Edit: Its actually what they have on that website, just with their logo stitched to it. $9 or so online.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I found a $13 bbq cover/bag on Amazon that fits it. Cinch it up and toss it in the teardrop. Set it up at camp and use it.
Fried rice is so much easier on it than in a frying pan. Can't fit a wok on my stove and table-top stoves are tippy.

I first saw a Skottle in a video shared on Youtube this morning. My main thoguht was why suck up that much space? It looks like one of those things they use to cook meat for street tacos in Mexico. Not a bad thing, just seems like it is overkill for overlanding or camping.
We're often camping in a big group and making pot-luck dinners.

This was last month. The tall guy wielding the axe in a menacing fashion built all of the Scott-Ls you see in the slideshow (and there quite a few). His name is Scott.
If Scott hadn't traded me his for my maul, I would've bought this:

https://www.agrisupply.com/bbq-disc-blade-discada/p/85077/

pawnbroker

I decided to try and make one myself . Ordered everything I need from amazon . Took a few hours , but turned out great . 1718E65E-4569-4D06-8615-17FA5348560E.jpeg

Attachments

• EEAB58DC-8674-4CCF-839C-4CC6E9DA5089.jpeg
    EEAB58DC-8674-4CCF-839C-4CC6E9DA5089.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 70
  • 4BE8EFF0-C2A1-42BB-BA2A-B56A8C1C560A.jpeg
    4BE8EFF0-C2A1-42BB-BA2A-B56A8C1C560A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 75
  • 6DE3E167-AF57-47DB-880E-B2FF4225F71D.jpeg
    6DE3E167-AF57-47DB-880E-B2FF4225F71D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • 760E1847-7F7A-42C1-ABA1-C147B40E38F9.jpeg
    760E1847-7F7A-42C1-ABA1-C147B40E38F9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • C875FFA9-6CD7-4D53-85CE-ABF170862D15.jpeg
    C875FFA9-6CD7-4D53-85CE-ABF170862D15.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 70

SnoRnR

Missed a trick. I thought the Tembo Tusk was already way overpriced. They could have came in with a cheaper product and cleaned up. Instead they h the light they would jump on the money train and differentiate by stating how different it is and highlighting what they call better features. At the end of the day both products are $350+ woks with a cheap single burner and 3 legs stove.

I’d get a Partner steel before either of these. Plus I just found a Recretec River Skottle for $259 without burner. That seems about right for those stoves. $300 would be pushing it but $400 come on. I mean they obvious did market research and saw company charging $1100 for tiny “overlanding” fridges and thought great cash cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We love our 18" Southwest Discada. Both its cover and the discada are made by vets which I like. They are incredibly well made The welds are perfect. We pair it with a single burner Camp Chef that has a large shelf that is very handy. The red cover folds on top of the burner and folds into a sturdy bag. The thicker metal of the discada makes temperature easy to control along with the regulator on the burner. We had Southwest put on some easy to grip handles and legs that can screw on/off if we want to cook over a camp fire. The only downside is the weight. Both are heavy. That may be a plus in that no one will accidentally bump the thing and tip it over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles